Missouri 2006-07

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Missouri 2006-07

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I don't know how many people will care, but I'll be updating on what goes on in Missouri this. I figure it's good to know what happens in other parts of the country.

This weekend there were two tournaments: Liberty High school, and Thomas Jefferson in Joplin. They were both really small, which is unfortunate, but it's the beginning of the year.

Liberty:
1st place: Savannah
2nd place: Smithville

No surprise that Savannah won. Smithville I'm guessing has improved over the summer, because they were very good last year.

TJ:
1st place: North Kansas City
2nd place: Richland
3rd place: Waynesville
4th place: Lockwood

I really liked the tournament, but it was unfortunate that only 10 teams went. Also, we were the only team not from the area. And Richland doesn't lose very often, especially among regional teams. They have 10 out of the past 11 state championships in their class. This year's shaping up to be very competitive in the region.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Any chance you could post the full fields for the tournaments? Thanks!

Liberty:
Varsity was:
Benton
Belton
Cameron
Excelsior Springs
Lee's Summit North
Lexington
Oak Grove
Oak Park
Savannah
Smithville
William Chrisman
Winnetonka

and JV was:
Cameron
Excelsior Springs
Lee's Summit
Lee's Summit North
Lexington (2 teams)
Oak Park
Savannah

All those teams were from the Kansas City area.

For TJ, the field was:
El Dorado Springs
Glendale
Kickapoo (two teams)
Lamar
Lockwood
North KC
Richland (two teams)
Waynesville

Other than us, those teams are all from Southern Missouri.
Like I said, really small tournaments.
johnboy81918
Lulu

Post by johnboy81918 »

Where is Missouri? Do any intelligent people come from that land? Doubtful.

John, I agree with you. Not much going on in their mush brains. They've taken too much speed.

As was posted at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3098, the UMR Fall tournament happened, with Ladue beating us in the finals.
Stats are at: Pool play: http://web.umr.edu/~cbowl/hs06nov/hs06n ... dings.html
Playoffs: http://web.umr.edu/~cbowl/hs06nov/hs06n ... dings.html

It was a very good tournament. Ladue is still definitely talented even though they lost their dominant captain Jason Wu. However, I was ill and getting frazzled by the end of the day so I started misfiring like crazy in the final. I guess since I felt like sh-t I played like sh-t. And we only had 3 people on our team, which is not ideal.

Some other thoughts:
Based on the past 2 tournaments I'm starting to think Richland isn't quite the same powerhouse they used to be. TJ from Joplin didn't do phenomenally here, but they are predominantly a math team. I would also recommend buying the questions because they were well written.

The next big tournament is going to be Smithville's varsity this Saturday. NKC isn't going, but it's going to be Liberty's first tournament of the year so we'll see how they do.
johnboy81918
Lulu

Post by johnboy81918 »

charlieDfromNKC wrote:it's going to be Liberty's first tournament of the year so we'll see how they do.
My prediction = not so hot :(

We are totally unprepared for an actual competition, and I highly doubt this is going to be a good year for us. I wish we had Ryan back! ^_^

I must say:

Ryan was good.
johnboy81918
Lulu

Post by johnboy81918 »

That's why it hurts that he's gone.

Are we the only MO people on this board?
Pete Creedon
Kimahri

Post by Pete Creedon »

The two saints conference, in the STL metro has started. I know that my school, FHC= Francis Howell Central, has won a game and lost a game.

Our first game: Fort Zumwalt West

FZW: 260 FHC: 240

Our second game:

Marquette

MHS: 90 FHC: 190

It seems that the conference has changed a lot since I started out as a freshman, some four years ago.

From what I've heard the 2-Saints Conference isn't all that amazing as a tournament. Jimmy Li certainly disliked the questions. But yes, Missouri is a rapidly changing state in terms of quizbowl. At least for the top 2 classes.

Smithville tournament results:
1. Savannah
2. Liberty
3. Ozark
4. Benton

I have absolutely no idea what the field was, because we didn't go.

Truman State NAQT tournament results:
1. Rockbridge A
2. Helias A
3. Rockbridge B
4. Helias B

Once again, I didn't go, so I have no idea about the field, nor do I know how good these teams are.
johnboy81918
Lulu

Post by johnboy81918 »

I played extremely poorly against Savannah due to a migraine, which I didn't take medication for until after the match. So, that's totally my fault, because I could've taken something sooner, and played better, but I didn't. Oh well, no use crying over lost trophies...
johnboy81918
Lulu

Post by johnboy81918 »

Congrats to NKC for an awesome job at Vandy!

And I have no idea about any of those teams from the Truman tourney...Charles, do you think our teams could probably take them? Or do we not know enough about them?

I'm still slightly irked about Smithville, just because I'm so mad at myself for not having taken anything to relieve my migraine before the championship. I know I musta been feeling bad, because I had my best game of the tournament in the semifinals, then crashed for the finals. To go down 10 tossups from one game to the next is inexcusable, wouldn't you say?

Also, are you going to LSN on 12/2?

We aren't officially registered for LSN, but we might. Liberty could probably zero Helias. We trounced Helias last year at Rolla-Spring in the final, and Helias was looking even weaker this year at Rolla-Fall. Plus they got blown out of the water at nationals. I don't know about Rockbridge, but I've heard they're decent.
johnboy81918
Lulu

Post by johnboy81918 »

What national competition did Helias go to?!

Helias went to NAQT nationals as the "Jeff City Wizards."

I know this is JV, but still worth posting:

Today North Kansas City held it's Junior Varsity tournament. It is the first time we've held it seperately from our Varsity in January.

Savannah dominated Lee's Summit 375 to 125 in the final to win. Smithville and North Platte A made the semi-finals, but there was no third place game.

The field was:
Belton
Cameron
Fort Osage
Helias
Lee’s Summit
Lee’s Summit North
Lexington
Liberty
North Platte (two teams)
Oak Grove
Oak Park
Park Hill South
Platte County
Raytown
Savannah
Smithville
St. Pius X
Truman (two teams)

The Southwest Missouri Mindgames was held a little while ago. It is really big with teams down there, and it's held all during the week at Lockwood and Lamar High School (I think). I don't know the field, but the top 4 were:
1. Richland
2. Thomas Jefferson IDS from Joplin
3. Ozark
4. Lebanon

Also there was apparently a tournament at Smithton that I didn't know about. The results were:
1. Pilot Grove
2. Bunceton
Semi-finalists: Smithton-A and Otterville.

Honestly none of those schools are ever any kind of threat to any decent team. And for those who know Jason Mueller his high school Lincoln lost all three prelim games.
johnboy81918
Lulu

Post by johnboy81918 »

That last comment was only in reference to the Smithton thing, right?

Saying that Richland and TJ are no threat to any decent team seems...well, wrong. So I'm assuming you were only talking about the latter tourney.

I was definitely only talking about Smithton. If TJ and Richland went to the Smithton tournament they would have bashed everyone else's heads in.
johnboy81918
Lulu

Post by johnboy81918 »

Maybe I'll be bashing my own head in on Saturday...

4+ hour standardized test in the morning, while our second best player is gone, and praying that the rest of the team advances to the afternoon rounds...

And if they do, then I get to enjoy an academic competition after 4+ hours of standardized testing! w00t!

I might go and watch our JV. However, I refuse to play on the perpendicular questions they're using. And I mean perpendicular.

By the way I'm talking about the Lee's Summit North Tournament this weekend. The man running it is using "Triple Q" questions. I've read other Triple Q packets and they are quite simply horrendous.

Fredit: Please watch your language in the high school sections. Thanks.
johnboy81918
Lulu

Post by johnboy81918 »

I'm kinda curious as to what Charles might have said to incur the wrath of a moderator edit...

It involved the "s" word.
johnboy81918
Lulu

Post by johnboy81918 »

Perhaps horrendous was the word edited in? ^_^

Looks to me like Lee's Summit North is going to be canceled because of ice. It's not official, but that''s my prediction.

I will get offensive here and say: Maybe it's a sign from God.
johnboy81918
Lulu

Post by johnboy81918 »

Sorry, but it hasn't been cancelled. Nor has the SAT :(

In a perfect world, both would be cancelled. I guess the gods hate me.

Results from Lee's Summit North.

Varsity: 1. Savannah
2. Liberty
3. Smithville
4. Kearney

JV: 1. Lee's Summit
2. NKC (they only lost by 5 points)
3. Savannah
4. Liberty

I didn't go, but reports were that the questions were horribly imbalanced and trashy. Apparently some of the JV stuff was ridiculously hard; for example, in the finals at the end of the 1st quarter the score was LS 30-NKC 20 (out of 150 possible points).
fleurdelivre
Tidus

Post by fleurdelivre »

Nice to know there are missourians on the board nowadays...and even better to know Rock Bridge still has a team at all.

I'm sorry I didn't get to tell NKC hello at ABC a few weeks ago, but I kind of dropped in last-minute to run JV. Thanks for coming--it's only the second time I can personally remember any MO team at the tourney. Congrats on your finish!

Not to be rude, but who are you?
fleurdelivre
Tidus

Post by fleurdelivre »

that's not rude. my name is katy, and I played for rock bridge quiz bowl back in high school before joining the vanderbilt team, with whom I competed until I graduated in may. I'd quit following this board over the past few months because work kept me very, very busy, but after a whirlwind trip to nashville centered entirely on helping out at abc, I thought to log back in and see what was going on...at which point I find there's even a missouri thread up and running, much to my surprise. sorry to be weird.

The "Two Saints Conference" that Peter Creedon referenced is over. It is the St. Louis area multi-part conference tournament, although not every St. Louis area team played, which I'll address later.
The top 2 teams from the St. Charles County were Fort Zumwalt West (a last year district champ) and Francis Howell High School. The top 2 from St. Louis county were Clayton (their program is totally new this year) and Eureka (who at Rolla weren't amazing, although they have been good in the past). After those teams all squared off in a pool, here are the final results:
1. Clayton
2. FZW
3. Eureka
4. FH

Also, in JV the results were:
1. Parkway Central (St. Louis County)
2. Clayton
3. Fort Zumwalt West
4. Francis Howell

The varsity high scorer was Teri Kilmer from FZW, who I bet is the best individual player in St. Louis this year, and the JV top scorer was I'm guessing a kid named Jason from Parkway Central.

Yesterday was the Lexington High School JV. 32 teams, split into Large and Small tournaments.
Large:
1. NKC
2. Blue Springs (playing with at least one varsity player from last year)
3. Lee's Summit North
4. Lee's Summit

Small schools:
1. Savannah (they are on the cusp. Last year tthey were in the large division)
2. Platte County
3. St. Pius X
4. St. Joseph Christian

The NKC Blue Springs final matchup was a repeat of last year, although last year I was playing JV. THe Kansas City area (at JV level) is much more competitive this year, and there's a lot of parity. Last year Savannah and NKC (off and on) were easily the two best JVs. This year the top four of each tournament has been incredibly different. It should be fun come JV state. I also am proud of NKC for beating a team with at least one player who I know for a fact played varsity last year. I think there was at least one more returning varsity on that team. I think that's a pretty low thing to do on Blue Springs's part.

Today was the Truman High School "sKnow Bowl" in Independence. I will copy verbatim what I posted on the Missouri Quiz Bowl Message Board:
So after 5 matches, here's the break down.

1. NKC
2. Savannah
3. Liberty

In this tournament there was no playoff. It is strictly 5 "power-matches." No team went undefeated. The first match was predetermined, and Savannah and Liberty were put together. Savannah won the first time, although one of Liberty's starters wasn't there. Liberty beat us in round 4 and beat Savannah in round 5 once the player was back and they were generally more on top of it. In the morning we had some pud games that allowed us to run up the score, and so we had more points than Liberty or Savannah. Total points decided the winner, so we ended up winning.

To my mind Liberty won the tournament.

And that is why the tournament set-up is really bad. On the other hand, the questions were for the most part much, much better this year than the sets I've seen. My only beef is the first quarter of one-liners. I despise one-liners. But whatever, we'll deal with it.

As for JV, I know Truman High School went undefeated to win, although I don't know who got 2nd or 3rd.

Here was the tournament field:

Blue Springs High School
Excelsior Springs
Fort Osage
Helias
Kearney
Lee's Summit
Lee's Summit North
Liberty
Mound City
North Kansas City
Oak Park
Park Hill
Park Hill South
Platte County
Raymore-Peculiar
Raytown
Saint Joseph Christian
Saint Mary's
Savannah
Smithville
Truman
Webb City
Wellington-Napoleon
William Chrisman

24 teams total.

-PS- The questions were supplied by Shawn Pickrell from VHSL tournaments with help from BIll Stallard and Jason Mueller. Also, in JV Blue Springs got second although I still don't know third.
Just so you have an idea, Helias is from Jefferson City, Webb City is from Joplin, and Mound City is from extreme NW Missouri. Everyone else is KC/St. Joseph area
johnboy81918
Lulu

Post by johnboy81918 »

charlieDfromNKC wrote:To my mind Liberty won the tournament.
As much as I appreciate the sentiment, that's just how the format happened to work out. You guys put up more points than us throughout the day in ALL of your games (excepting the one against us). Our highest point total of the day was a measly 390 against Webb City.

Also, you are truly one of the outstanding players of the day right now, Charles. Not only did you stick up for my answer in the first quarter (the one where I said square units in my answer, and apparently it didn't say so on the answer sheet), but you admitted that the answer you'd given was wrong, even when your team was down, in the fourth quarter. Sportsmanship award goes to you for that :)

Now back to other tournament matters: I thought the questions were fairly well-written. A good mix of pyramidal and speed, with good distribution of subject areas. Job well done to Shawn and the rest on the questions. I also don't recall having any moderator-related problems, much to my surprise. The moderator in our third morning game (the one against Webb City, mentioned above) was the best I've seen so far this year. Of course, he was also a former player...holding true that former players generally make good moderators.

I think my post lost its point a while ago, so I'm gonna end its misery here. ^_^
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

I've been on here for a long time but I never really post.

Are Liberty and NKC in the same district? I don't remember for sure.

Anyway, I might try to post more. I was just reading all the college discussion stuff last night but didn't really want to post because they are all intense in their thinking about quiz bowl while I just do it for fun and because I like to learn new things... which is what missing questions is for.

Yes, we are very unfortunately in district 8 with Liberty (and Oak Park, although they aren't as good). It would be one thing if more districts were competitive, but just 10 minutes away from where I live is district (7) made up entirely of teams that Liberty, NKC, and Oak Park handily beat. The winner of that district for the past few years gets slaughtered at state and ends up ranked last of the advancing teams (last year it was Lee's Summit). It would be so much fairer for everyone if we were absorbed into that district, because honestly whoever gets 2nd in our district could probably get 3rd at state if both teams advanced (that was the general consensus last year, I would say). Although I get some relief in hearing that our state isn't alone in having imbalanced districts and bad policies.
johnboy81918
Lulu

WUHSAC IX

Post by johnboy81918 »

Verbatim from the MO quiz bowl board:

For starters, a huge thanks to everyone at Wash U, this was one of the best run tournaments I've ever attended. I thanked some of the workers in person before I left, but to those I didn't get to, my thanks goes to you as well :)

For the most part, the questions were excellent. The last two rounds seemed unbalanced, though, shifting toward a more SS and Lit based type of game. The morning rounds seemed pretty balanced, so no complaints at all there.

I dunno how to put this nicely, but Charles raped us in the semis. That's as nicely as I can put it. My horrible play didn't contribute, nor did that STUPID DESK(:D), but he certainly put on quite a show. I've never played Clayton before, but I would love to play them again with the rest of our team. They were good, and good sports too, very fun to play with. Congrats to NKC, New Trier, and Clayton on their awesome performances yesterday. On a non-quizbowl related note, I was going to bring a frisbee and hope that some of the New Trier players could play, since I played with Nick at ACE, but I forgot the frisbee and it was too windy anyway. Also, I forgot to take off my pants in front of Charles. I'll have to do that next time.

Time to close this post...one last thanks to the staff who ran WUHSAC IX, it was amazing. Now, I just need to look forward to Rolla, when we should be running on all cylinders!
jazzerpoet
Wakka

Post by jazzerpoet »

To Charles (from NKC):

I read on another board that you wanted to play in a collegiate tournament. If your coach and/or school would allow it, in addition to the OU Academic Team, I would suggest that you contact OU about their possible Moon Pie (UTC) mirror at the end of April. They are also considering hosting a mirror of RC Cola, a trash tournament.

If you are interested, you should contact their president, Emily, at:
<[email protected]>

Just a suggestion, if you wanted to get your feet wet.

I don't think that MSHSAA (the obnoxious Missouri activities commission) would allow it. But i would like it

Two Missouri tournaments went on this weekend.
Warrenton High School had their tournament (I didn't go, I have no idea what the questions were like, and i don't know the field other than it draws St. Louis teams).
1st - Francis Howell
2nd - Westminster Christian B (it was honestly their B team)
3rd - John Burroughs
4th - Desmet A

Top 2 Scorers
Jeff from Francis Howell, David from Westminster.

The other major tournament was at Truman State in Kirksville. It was MSHSAA style. It was quite a debacle from what I hear. Only 9 teams showed up, and they were supposed to split the field into large and small schools. They sort of played all the teams together for 5 matches and then used each teams record to determine the champ.
Large School:
1st - Savannah
2nd -Smithville (Both teams went undefeated, but Smithville had fewer ppg)

Small school:
1st - Scotland County
2nd - Knox County

Top Scorers were:
Rank Player Team GP 10 TUH P/TU Pts PPG
1 Terin Budine Savannah 4.0 51 200 2.55 510 127.50
2 Scott Blicfrick Smithville 5.0 47 250 1.88 470 94.00
3 Scott Turner Kirksville A 4.4 35 220 1.59 350 79.55
4 Julie Triplett Sco. Co. 4.0 29 200 1.45 290 72.50
5 Matt Oliver Savannah 4.0 28 200 1.40 280 70.00
6 John Haman Kirksville A 1.2 8 60 1.33 80 66.67
7 Brittain McClure Savannah 4.0 26 200 1.30 260 65.00
8 Evan Richter Kirksville B 5.0 31 250 1.24 310 62.00
9 Gunner Golden Schuyler 4.0 23 200 1.15 230 57.50
10 Ravi Fernando Kirksville A 4.8 26 240 1.08 260 54.17

Remember, this is MSHSAA format where total tossup points possible is 500.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

I blame the snow .. seriously. We had it all planned out and it would have been a great tournament had the snow stayed away. Oh well, that´s what we get for trying to have a tournament in NEMO in February. It won´t happen again next year, that is for sure.
Kent Buxton
Truman State University '09
TSU- Science Education Grad Program '11
johnboy81918
Lulu

Post by johnboy81918 »

Considering how tournament dense March is, we should hopefully have some good analysis/predictions coming soon from everyone, eh?

Last weekend there were a bunch of tournies

St. Joseph Christian:
Varsity: 1st. Liberty, 2nd. Savannah
JV: 1st. Liberty, 2nd. Lees Summit North (?)

This was probably all teams from KC and NW Missouri.

Helias (Jefferson City):
1st: Rockbridge, 2nd: Richland, 3rd: Ozark, 4th: West Jr. High
West is from Columbia, with all 9th graders. This tournament had 24 teams from a pretty diverse draw (SW Missouri to St. Louis)

Fordland:
Varsity: 1st. Fordland, 2nd Norwood. Semi-finalists were Pleasant Hope and Seymour.
JV: 1st: Fordland, 2nd Sparta. Semi-finalists were Conway and Pleasant Hope.
These were all mostly SW Missouri Class 2 teams.

Cuba (about 60 miles SW of St. Louis):
1st: North Kansas City, 2nd: Westminster Christian Academy, Semi-finalists: Thomas Jefferson IDS, Eureka.
These were mostly St. Louis and local teams, except for us and TJ. Some of them were so bad I cried. Eureka was actually much better than WCA, which really has lost a lot of steam since last year.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

LIKEZ OMZZG!!1!!1!! EVERY MISSOURI TEAM EVER WILL BE IN THE TOP TEN AT NAQT AND PACE!!1!!!!7!!!!!

There was the UMR tournament last weekend. There was a post about it already, but to reiterate the top 4 large schools were Liberty 1st, Fort Zumwalt West 2nd, New Madrid County Central 3rd, Rolla 4th. Top 4 small schools was Richland 1st, Cuba 2nd, Thomas Jefferson in Joplin 3rd, and South Pemiscot 4th. NKC was supposed to come, but I and my coach got sick and another player at the last minute was called to do some choir thing, so we couldn't come.

On the same day a tournament was held at Washington High School, which is a little bit outside of St. Louis. The top 4 were Francis Howell Central, Westminster Christian, Francis Howell, and Eureka in that order. I don't know what format was used or who provided the questions.

This weekend there's a tournament at Marshall High School that we are going to, which is using some Triple Q questions which are pretty bad (see my sentiment in my LSN posts above). Savannah's tournament is March 17, and Lexington's is March 24, so this areas kind of busy right now.

Alsom, throughout this week there is a local Northland Kansas City tournament at Maple Woods which is kind of a trivia contest because it uses nothing but worksheets and doesn't have regular matches. Some of the questions are good, some aren't. The top 4 going to finals tomorrow are Liberty, Oak Park, Savannah, and NKC.

Maple Woods results:
1st NKC
2nd Liberty
3rd Savannah
4th Oak Park (with 3 players)

Marshall tournament this weekend:
Large School division -
1st NKC
2nd Kirksville
3rd Jefferson City
4th Rockbridge

Small School division -
1st Savannah
2nd Smithville
3rd Smithton
4th ?

Grand champion - Savannah over NKC in a match where even Savannah had to defend us because the moderator obviously hated us for no apparent reason and shut down our legit protest while giving Savannah 15 minutes to resolve their legit protest. I can get more specific later if anyone cares.

The questions were provided by Triple Q and out of every tournament I've been to this year this Marshall tournament handily takes the cake for the most horrendous crappy tourney I've been to.

The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

charlieDfromNKC wrote: Grand champion - Savannah over NKC in a match where even Savannah had to defend us because the moderator obviously hated us for no apparent reason and shut down our legit protest while giving Savannah 15 minutes to resolve their legit protest. I can get more specific later if anyone cares.
Go for it.

First off, his entire demeanor was hostile to us from the get go, which I didn’t understand because it was the first time he’d moderated for us the entire day.
Our protest was on a bonus thing where we had to list 4 of the seven wonders of the ancient world. We said “Mausoleum at Helicarnassus, Hanging Gardens of Babylon, Colossus at Rhodes, and the Lighthouse of Alexandria.â€