Best teams in your state?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

[quote="snhou"]Yes, Cookeville, Walton, and Dorman are probably overshadowing everyone in their respective states this year.

Not quite. Walton ended up in 3rd place in 5A in our State Tournament played with balanced NAQT questions. Brookwood beat them decisively in the semifinals though Walton had narrowly defeated Brookwood in the prelims. (We plat 11 prelims and then break to an 8-team playoff.)
NRLYAGODD
Lulu

Post by NRLYAGODD »

Who came in 1st and 2nd?
jeffburns1
Lulu

GA State final results from March

Post by jeffburns1 »

Class A
Brookstone
Savannah Country Day
Ware Magnet
Montgomery County

Class AA
Decatur
Callaway
GACS
Blessed Trinity

Class AAA
Central Macon
Lovett
Savannah Christian
Westminster

Class AAAA
Heritage
North Atlanta
Druid Hills
North Springs

Class AAAAA
Chattahoochee
Brookwood
Walton
Parkview
Howard
Tidus

Re: B teams

Post by Howard »

Pistachio wrote:At the Spotswood tournament, our B team beat teams like Blake and Lee to get to the finals, and we then beat Gonzaga (who had beat our A team in the semifinals). We're sending a B team to NAQT and PACE.
Thomas Jefferson has more "good player" depth than any team I've ever seen. I have witnessed Jefferson with five competitive teams in a single tournamnet. WOW.
Amissio
Kimahri

Post by Amissio »

Thanks! I must admit that this year we (TJ) have had a lot of depth - due in part to our lack of a large number of seniors. We've won more tournaments this year than any previous, although we have come up to considerable resistance within the state from MLWGSGIS (whatever it is overall). We have unfortunately been unable to attend a lot of away tournaments, so we'll see this coming weekend how we compare to some of the more tested teams.

But seeing as next year our A team will lose only one member and after that still only lose one for the 2004-2005 season, we will be a force to be reckoned with for quite a while.

~Steve Young
prep04
Kimahri

Post by prep04 »

Massachusetts has a very weak "Quiz Bowl" program. Our "state tournament" consists of taking a test and then having your competitors grade it. To any other state that uses this system, I don't mean to offend you, but it determines in no way the excellence of your program if you win a tournament like this. I am the captain of the St. John's Prep (MA) team, which finished quite high in NAC the year I was in 8th grade, I believe, and lost to Jonathan Hess. We always seem to get stuck with a tough schedule (Brookwood this year, St. John's [TX] last year), but in all honesty we haven't been good for a while on a national level, maybe twice in 15 years. Despite all this, we are a rousing 69-6 the past three seasons (best estimate) against Massachusetts competition in head to head play, and most of those six losses were our B team getting some playing time late in our regular season -- and one match where we were absolutely slaughtered by some mysterious girl who knew everything and for some reason was never seen again...

There is no place in the state for us to play the best competition in true competitive format, so we are almost always unprepared heading to nationals, although we have qualified for 14 consecutive years. Aside from Bromfield, we may be the best in the state, but Williston, Concord-Carlisle, and Needham have good teams from what I know.

Steve
jonathan11
Kimahri

Best Team in West Virginia

Post by jonathan11 »

As part of the WV debate, George Washington's teams, as someone who is familar with the program, have the potentional to be exceptional if those teams could be matched with even some degree of work ethic. The team has no real coach (and even she is leaving after this year), no practices, the organization means cold calls on Saturday morning in a frantic search for folks to play, and more often than not the true GW 'A' team only shows up at a few tournaments during the course of the year. In 2001-2002, the team only appeared for the state tournament and in 2002-2003 the team only showed itself in the two parkersburg tournaments and the states. When any degree of motivation is applied, GW usually can perform fairly well (winning the last three state tournaments that the entire team competeted in). The largest problem facing GW is a total lack of organization, leadership and motivation. The talent is certainly available. How does any of this relate to next year? GW's returning junior might be the one must involved player. GW's rotating Indian math guru is always replacable, but if the team could even manage to arrange a practice or two, i have to think that the situation would improve. Quiz bowl is a game, but GW tends to take that to an extreme.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: Best Team in West Virginia

Post by AKKOLADE »

jonathan11 wrote:As part of the WV debate, George Washington's teams, as someone who is familar with the program, have the potentional to be exceptional if those teams could be matched with even some degree of work ethic. The team has no real coach (and even she is leaving after this year), no practices, the organization means cold calls on Saturday morning in a frantic search for folks to play, and more often than not the true GW 'A' team only shows up at a few tournaments during the course of the year. In 2001-2002, the team only appeared for the state tournament and in 2002-2003 the team only showed itself in the two parkersburg tournaments and the states. When any degree of motivation is applied, GW usually can perform fairly well (winning the last three state tournaments that the entire team competeted in). The largest problem facing GW is a total lack of organization, leadership and motivation. The talent is certainly available. How does any of this relate to next year? GW's returning junior might be the one must involved player. GW's rotating Indian math guru is always replacable, but if the team could even manage to arrange a practice or two, i have to think that the situation would improve. Quiz bowl is a game, but GW tends to take that to an extreme.
I agree with all of that, though I have to add the miscommunications they've had with the state body in the past have also hurt them.
jonathan11
Kimahri

West Virginia Player named PAC All-American

Post by jonathan11 »

Relevant to the West Virginia debate, Graham Dearian was the first West Virginia player be named as one of the six PAC All-American Team Members (one of two all-american juniors). He was the mid-atlantic selection, beating out players from a strong region that featured teams D.C., Maryland, and eventual winner, Virginia. Team West Virginia was a National Semi-Finalist.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: West Virginia Player named PAC All-American

Post by AKKOLADE »

jonathan11 wrote:Relevant to the West Virginia debate, Graham Dearian was the first West Virginia player be named as one of the six PAC All-American Team Members (one of two all-american juniors). He was the mid-atlantic selection, beating out players from a strong region that featured teams D.C., Maryland, and eventual winner, Virginia. Team West Virginia was a National Semi-Finalist.
Congratulations on your performance; I believe that you're only the second team to finish as a Semi-Finalist (Parkersburg South being the only other that I know of, which occurred in 2001) from the state. Well done.
vn_H
Kimahri

;)

Post by vn_H »

Jonathan Edwards - 'rotating Indian math guru is always replacable'

That's great, discounting a team member and friend as "replaceable." Kind words.
PIMPZ
jonathan11
Kimahri

Post by jonathan11 »

That wasn't at all meant to be an insult to any of the fine players and friends I've spent time with. I want to make that much very clear. But within the context of GW's prospects for next year, Neel (self-described Indian math guru), just as I, will be ably replaced.
alhsqb17
Kimahri

Post by alhsqb17 »

Let's not insult Neel Buddha. Anyway, the top teams in Alabama are LAMP, ISS, RHS, and Grissom, with Daphne and TR Miller as sleeper teams.
Th0rKiLL
Kimahri

best GA teams

Post by Th0rKiLL »

keep in mind, im a bit biased being a brookwood player, but here's my view of the best GA teams as of yet:

1. brookwood a
2. walton
3. central macon
4. milton a
5. brookwood b
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

How could you rate Brookwood-A ahead of Walton? Walton beat Brookwood-A handily at Emory. Brookwood is 0-1 to Walton.

Go back to studying your assignments! :-)
ManiacalClown
Lulu

Post by ManiacalClown »

I think he's giving you bonus points for looks. Image
ihatenicksaban
Lulu

Post by ihatenicksaban »

I'm gonna have to agree with DJ on this one. He has good taste.
mrblinux
Lulu

Post by mrblinux »

Th0rKiLL.. did you happen to go to SEMO for ACE camp?
No longer affiliated with Blake It's Ac team :D
Th0rKiLL
Kimahri

Post by Th0rKiLL »

mrblinux - nope, i went to furman. why?
mrblinux
Lulu

Post by mrblinux »

Just wondering, there was a Brookwooder who liked Norse mythology that I talked too every so often, I thought you might be him, I saw "thor" in your name.
No longer affiliated with Blake It's Ac team :D
qbsuperstar03
Kimahri

Post by qbsuperstar03 »

SEAHOLM, emac? We beat the stuffing out of them every time last year.
I am a warrior on the front lines in the battle against ignorance. I fight on, even though I may fight alone.
MCDoug
Lulu

Florida

Post by MCDoug »

How does anyone make a top ten list for the state of Florida without putting Martin County on it? So in response to rockgrant's list which was:

1) Rickards (Tallahassee)
2) Eastside (Gainesville)
3) Leon (Tallahassee)
4) Woodham (Pensacola)
5) Niceville (Panama City)
6) Suwannee (um...Suwannee...i think..)
7) Ransom Everglades (Miami)
8) Vero Beach (Vero Beach)
9) Vanguard (Ocala)
10) Taylor (Perry)

Martin County beat almost half the teams on that list last year, and only lost one player from their team. So my top 5 for the state of Florida is:

Martin County, Rickards, Eastside, Niceville, and Woodham
kelli
Lulu

Post by kelli »

haha well well, if you look at the official state tournaments for Florida from last year ( i.e. CAC and Beta) youd have to put Leon on there....they won the state division II by a landslide and competed in a lot of tournaments.
ihatenicksaban
Lulu

Post by ihatenicksaban »

Warning... Warning... MCDoug has started to pimp his own team in a way all too reminiscent of a certain slayer of Norse gods (Thorkill or sean as we at Brookwood know him). Sorry somebody else's list hurt your feelings but saying your team is the stuff isn't the best way to make your point.
bloodbought
Kimahri

Post by bloodbought »

Speaking of Florida, I was impressed by Pensacola HS at the Emory Fall Classic, but they were the only Florida team in attendance so I can't really judge.
MCDoug
Lulu

Florida

Post by MCDoug »

I guess the weekend of the 18th will settle who's got the top teams in Florida. Martin, Woodham, Niceville, Leon, Vanguard, Suwannee, Eastside, and Rickards will be in attendance, among others.

And yes, of course I'm pushing my own team (coach and former player). Shouldnt every coach/alumni?
ihatenicksaban
Lulu

Post by ihatenicksaban »

Promoting yourself is one thing. Declaring yourself better than other teams on this site is quite close to arrogance. It wasn't appreciated when a member of my own quiz bowl team (and a good friend of mine) decided to do it and i don't see how it would be different from you.
LanceA
Kimahri

Post by LanceA »

and saying you're the best looking team isn't arrogant?
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

It isn't really arrogant. Being the best looking team in quizbowl is like being the guy in the leper colony who still has all his limbs.
ihatenicksaban
Lulu

Post by ihatenicksaban »

Touche(i don't know how to put an accent over the "e"). And holy crap LanceA if you couldn't pick up on the sarcasm in that i feel really sorry for you.
harshrealm
Lulu

Post by harshrealm »

Alas, it isn't arrogance when it's true... who can imagine not going gaga over that team? :wink:
"Our greatest glory lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
LanceA
Kimahri

Post by LanceA »

ihatenicksaban wrote:...if you couldn't pick up on the sarcasm in that i feel really sorry for you.
You know my comment had a little sarcasm in it too. Maybe just a little.
ihatenicksaban
Lulu

Post by ihatenicksaban »

Touche once more.
kelli
Lulu

Post by kelli »

i dunno guys...the martin county team this year is pretty hot ;) ... i thin youve got some compeition, lol
ihatenicksaban
Lulu

Post by ihatenicksaban »

I feel threatened. Well we are the most attractive team in Georgia then. I need something to hold on to.
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

I think we should take a national poll...
ihatenicksaban
Lulu

Post by ihatenicksaban »

That would be insanely disturbing. Plus that would just give CaddoJeff another poll to whine incessantly about.
tj b boy
Lulu

Post by tj b boy »

Where's caddo been recently, anyway?

same with the michigan guy we all decided was the next alhsqb245q52. maybe he took a hint, maybe he's gone somewhere for Columbus day weekend.

have i just not noticed them?
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

......or, maybe he got ZAPPED!
kelli
Lulu

Post by kelli »

no need for a national poll guys, martin county is definatly the hottest team, but if you guys wanna do a poll for each state then itll give all the non-florida teams a chance;)
LanceA
Kimahri

Post by LanceA »

well brookwood now has three votes for being good looking whereas Martin Co has one. So as the scores stands 3-1, I'll give the edge to brookwood.
welhai
Lulu

The Emperor's Nose...

Post by welhai »

It is told that once upon a time, a scholar in China was curious about the length of the Emperor's nose (doubtless a very important subject). Unfortunately, no commoner was permitted to see the Emperor, and the scholar would certainly not be allowed to measure his excellency's nose. To solve this problem, the scholar travelled around the country and asked everyone he met (none of whom had ever seen the emperor) how long they believed the Emperor's nose to be. He then averaged his results to arrive at a 'scientific' and 'exact' measurement of the Emperor's nose.

Dude, '3-1 Brookwood' equals 'Brookwood is better looking?' Setting aside the obvious ludicrousness of trying to crown a 'best looking team' quizbowl champion (see Pat's leper comment), the 3-1 vote merely serves to highlight the fact that more Georgia people post than Florida people.

Talk about a tyranny of the majority here! Take a poll of 'best team you have played' on this board and you will undoubtedly crown an Alabama team national champions. This is why the Constitution gives each state 2 votes in the Senate.

Besides, this topic is stretching the limits of the Comparisons forum to ridiculous lengths. Cease and desist.
Quizbowl- the sport of philosopher kings.
einstein must die
Lulu

Post by einstein must die »

tuscaloosa central high school won ascn in 1992. had i not moved to cookeville, i would have gone there...
in 1984 i was hospitalized for approaching perfection
-silver jews
kelli
Lulu

Post by kelli »

hmm, well my school is going to the brookwood tourny...so i guess we may just have to settle this score then;)
einstein must die
Lulu

nah, had i stayed at central, i wouldn't have had the opportunity to learn the things i learned by playing at cookeville. where do you go to school?
-silver jews
einstein must die
Lulu

nah, we won't be there, but we're going to the academic and trash tournaments at utc this weekend!

edit: how many years removed are you from LAMP? i swear, in 2001-02, we played indian springs 4 or 5 times, but we never played you all once. strange.
-silver jews
kelli
Lulu

Post by kelli »

refering to a previous top 10 post with no martin county that my coach was called arrogant for disputing...
we won taylor and beat:

1) Rickards (Tallahassee) -- beat
2) Eastside (Gainesville) --beat
3) Leon (Tallahassee) --beat
4) Woodham (Pensacola) --beat
5) Niceville (Panama City) --didnt come
6) Suwannee (um...Suwannee...i think..) --beat
7) Ransom Everglades (Miami) --didnt come
8) Vero Beach (Vero Beach) --didnt come
9) Vanguard (Ocala) --beat
10) Taylor (Perry) -- it was their tourny

not trying to be arrogent, just wanting a little respect for all our hard work!
it was a great tournament, and i think all the florida teams are going to do well this year:)
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

Dude, don't take so much offense about that top ten that rockgrant put up. It was from APRIL, and his selections probably made better sense then, so don't keep dumping on him just because of an OLD set of rankings! Sure, you got a good team in Florida, but I for one am interested to see how you guys do in the strong-fielded Brookwood tournament (which we are not attending, btw) and what kind of Martin County trash talk you have for us afterwards.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
kelli
Lulu

Post by kelli »

haha whoa there, its all good, i didnt mean anything except to defend my schools title...hardly what id call trash talking. as far as brookwood..i guess we will see;)
kelli
Lulu

Post by kelli »

and also, i wasnt even talking about rockgrant, im sure we were an oversight on his list. i was tlaking about the personw ho called our coach arrogant for noting the oversight- word:)