RESULTS: LIFT VI (10/28/06) @ Northport HS (Long Island, NY)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
BroNi
Rikku

RESULTS: LIFT VI (10/28/06) @ Northport HS (Long Island, NY)

Post by BroNi »

Long Island Fall Tournament VI

Cosponsored by Kellenberg and Northport HS, held @ Northport HS, Northport, Long Island, NY

NAQT (set TBD), 6 prelim. games, single elim. playoffs. Trophies, Individual Stats, High PPG award and high -5 award.

Fee Structure...
$60.00 First team, $50.00 additional teams, -$10.00 per buzzer, -$10.00 per reader

Registration: 7:30-8:15 am, Prelims start @ 8:30 am - Final ending around 6:00 pm.

We provide breakfast and tourney has been ended on time last couple of years. We also have a continuous projection of current team standings updated after every round.

Hope to see many there!
Bro. Nigel, Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

You do mean that this is on October 28, not November 28, right? Just making sure since (1) Nov. 28 is a Tuesday, and (2) a couple of us from Maryland were interesting in making the trip up and moderating.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

Just FYI, the NAQT site has you down for IS-63A.
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

Yes....thank you....I do mean 10/28/06 and not November!!!!

How do I edit this thing???!!!

And yes, I know that NAQT has assigned us that packet, but they also gave the same packet to Charter for their December tourney....and they come to ours and we would like to go to theirs, so........

Topic title is now edited. -- The moderator
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

BroNi wrote:And yes, I know that NAQT has assigned us that packet, but they also gave the same packet to Charter for their December tourney....and they come to ours and we would like to go to theirs, so........
And not only that, but to prevent this very scheduling I said I would buy geographic exclusivity for New York on whatever set was assigned to the Delaware tournament.

If someone from NAQT could let us know if it is possible for the tournaments to have different sets, it would be appreciated by Bro. Nigel and myself. As far as I can tell, at this time set 61A is not being used anywhere within a 5 hour drive of my tournament (Yale).

- Bill Tressler,
Charter School of Wilmington
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

Argh, I was planning to attend both Yale and LIFT. Guess we'll just have to see.
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

.....but unfortunately, we would like to go to Yale as well, so I presented an arguement for Set 62. Haven't heard back from NAQT yet, however.
NatusRoma
Lulu

Post by NatusRoma »

If I may interject: Yale has requested geographic exclusivity for New York and New Jersey, in addition to the"state" of Connecticut and Rhode Island. This means that there is no danger of LIFT using the same packet as Yale, which means that teams can attend both.
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

NatusRoma wrote:If I may interject: Yale has requested geographic exclusivity for New York and New Jersey, in addition to the"state" of Connecticut and Rhode Island. This means that there is no danger of LIFT using the same packet as Yale, which means that teams can attend both.
I think the challenge here was that Brother Nigel was trying to get Yale, LIFT, and Delaware all on different sets. It doesn't look like this will be possible, since set 62 is being kept for Princeton, which has run a fall tournament for the past several years.

If Delaware ends up with 61A the choice will affect the teams that would have considered going to DE and Yale (an admittedly small set).
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

Long Island Fall Tournament VI
Hosted By Northport HS & Kellenberg Memorial HS
Saturday, October 28, 2006

REGISTRATION FORM
Due by October 23, 2006
Payment due by October 28, 2006

Name of High School: _____

Name of Advisor:_____

Address:_____

Phone:_____ Fax: _____

E-mail:_____

Costs:
First Team: $60.00
# of Additional Teams @ 50.00 each: $_____
Copy of Question Packet following competition $25.00 each:$_____

SUBTOTAL: $_____
Discounts (up to $30)
Number of Buzzer Systems brought by your team @ $10.00 off for each: ___ $_____
Number of Moderators @ $10.00 off for each: ___ $_____

Total Payment Due: $_____

Return this form to: Mary Boccia at Northport High School by October 23rd via US Postage OR electronic mail. Payment is due to Mary Boccia by October 28th. Make all checks payable to Northport High School. Please provide an e-mail address for registration confirmation and in case of the event that we need to contact you quickly. Questions may be directed to either of the addresses listed below:

Mary Boccia, Mathematics Dept., Northport HS, 154 Laurel Hill Road, Northport NY 11768 [email protected]

Brother Nigel, Science Dept., Kellenberg MHS, 1400 Glenn Curtiss Blvd, Uniondale, NY 11553 [email protected]
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

Field with a week and a half to go....

Charter School of Wilmington, DE (5 teams)
White Plains (5)
Half Hollow Hills W (4)
Stuyvesant (4)
North Shore (3)
Friends Academy (2)
Smithtown East (2)
Smithtown West (2)
Ranney School, NJ (2)
Port Jefferson (2)
O'Connell (1)

32 teams from 11 schools.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

What time do you need moderators to show up at the school? My wife and I have already made the hotel reservations for the weekend--we'll look forward to seeing you!
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

David

Please email me off the board at [email protected]. Thank you.
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

Field Update

Charter Schl Wilmington (DE) (7 teams)
White Plains (5)
Stuyvesant (4)
Half Hollow Hills West (4)
North Shore (3)
Ranney School (NJ) (2)
Friends Academy (2)
St. Anthony's (2)
Port Jefferson (2)
Smithtown West (2)
Smithtown East (2)
Our Lady of Mercy Acad (1)
Hunter College HS (1)
Mineola (1)
O'Connell (1)
Seton Hall (NJ) (1+)
Gonzaga (DC) (1)
St. Andrew's Epis (MS) (1)

Still waiting to verify:
Mansfield (CT)
Ward Melville
Bergen County (NJ)
BroNi
Rikku

Results

Post by BroNi »

50 teams from 22 schools made it out to Northport HS, Long Island, NY on a blustery rain-soaked morning. 7 prelim. rounds lead to the top 16 in a single-elim playoff.

Round of 16
1 Charter B (420) beat 16 Charter D (110)
2 Stuyvesant A (425) beat 15 Half Hollow Hills W B (110)
3 Gonzaga A (405) beat 14 Stuyvesant C (65)
4 Stuyvesant B (320) beat 13 Bergan Ct. A (200)
5 Seton Hall A (285) beat 12 White Plains A (90)
6 Hunter A (290) beat 11 Bergan Ct. B (150)
7 St. Andrew's Epis A (310) beat 10 Charter A (135)
9 Mansfield A (340) beat 8 Half Hollow Hills W A (255)

Quarter Finals
9 Mansfield A (375) beat 1 Charter B (305)
2 Stuyvesant A (445) beat 7 St. Andrew's A (60)
3 Gonzaga A (395) beat 6 Hunter A (95)
4 Stuyvesant B (275) beat 5 Seton Hall (220)

Semifinals
9 Mansfield A (295) beat 4 Stuyvesant B (255)
3 Gonzaga A (395) beat 2 Stuyvesant A (180)

Third place match
2 Stuyvesant A (370) beat 4 Stuyvesant B (235)

CHAMPIONSHIP
3 Gonzaga A (385) beat 9 Mansfield (270)

Top individuals in the Prelims were Guy T. from Hunter A with 95.0 PPG, Anna H. from St. Andrew's A (MS) with 88.57, Henry G. from Charter B with 78.57, Doug T. from Stuyvesant A with 78.33, Aidem B. from Stuyvesant B with 74.17 and Ted G. from Gonzaga A with 70.83.

And a Halloween mask was awarded to Watson L. from Bergan Cty Acad for his tournament leading 14 "neg's"!
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

And congrats to Wilmington Charter for switching up their teams, so that B was better than A and D was better than C. Real nice "strategy" you got there.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

metsfan001 wrote:And congrats to Wilmington Charter for switching up their teams, so that B was better than A and D was better than C. Real nice "strategy" you got there.
"The rule on calling people out on behavior at high school tournaments is: don't do it before talking to your coach, don't do it before talking to the TD, don't do it before attempting to resolve the situation elsewhere, don't do it from a new, unfamiliar, or anonymous account, don't do it if you do not have a long record of worthwile posts about more germane topics, and don't do it unless you are earnestly trying to start a discussion about how to deal with similar behavior in the future. In summary, calling people out for dramatic purposes is not permitted. "

This avenue of discussion is over. Please continue with the rest of the thread.
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

Oh, sorry about that. I guess just delete all 3 of these, then. =/
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

metsfan001 wrote:And congrats to Wilmington Charter for switching up their teams, so that B was better than A and D was better than C. Real nice "strategy" you got there.
Actually, I'd like to respond if I may.

Both C and D were 4-2 (I think), and I fully expected the group in C to do better. D had four sophomores and one freshman on it, three of which are new this year, and their 4-2 (and almost beating Gonzaga) was quite a surprise to us all.

A was seniors, B was juniors and a sophomore. Yes I was pretty sure that B was going to do better. The seniors really wanted their turn to be team "A" this year.

If this is going to be a lightning rod of contention, then I won't allow it. It's not intended to be disceptive, and in tournaments where they power match, it's irrelevant after the first round.
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

Oh, in that case, I do apologize. I, as well as at least a few others, actually believed that there was some intentional switching going on. =/
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

(Sorry if this belongs elsewhere)

We wanted to enter with the following team names:

The Charter Menace
Attack of the Charter
Revenge of the Charter
A New Charter
Charter Strikes Back
Return of the Charter
Charter Holiday Special

College tournaments (especially trash) permit this, but high school tournaments seem resistant. As long as I privately tell the TD which 2-3 teams are the best, is this OK or not? It would prevent controversies such as one that metsfan introduced.
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

stat 74 wrote

[A was seniors, B was juniors and a sophomore. Yes I was pretty sure that B was going to do better.[/quote]

And what an impressive job that B team did!! Yes, it was a NAQT "A" set, but they still had 2 games with 700 or more points and ended ranked first after the prelimis with a 7-0 record and a 600 PPG average!
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

Thanks to Brother Nigel and Northport for running an efficient tournament.

I was impressed with Stuyvesant. The game we played against them was much closer than the score would indicate. A couple of negs hurt them in the end. They were a very intense and very agressive team. They're very talented and should do very well on a national level.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Stat74 wrote:As long as I privately tell the TD which 2-3 teams are the best, is this OK or not? It would prevent controversies such as one that metsfan introduced.
As far as I'm concerned, I think that's fully appropriate, as it allows the TD to put the teams into preliminary brackets accordingly. Power-matching as the tournament goes along is a laudable concept and practice, but frankly, it is not something that I think can be done easily by every tournament director.

Many thanks and congratulations to Brother Nigel and Mary for collaborating to put together a very good tournament. This was our first foray up to New York to see the local teams, and there are several very strong teams in the area that may not be known outside of the region. I was very impressed with both the quality of the teams as well as that of the tournament itself, which ended on time despite the weather throwing a 45-minute starting delay.
fender_outta_hock
Kimahri

Post by fender_outta_hock »

Hey, as a new poster and a member of the Mansfield A team, I really want to thank everyone from Northport/Kellenberg for running an excellent tournament. It was my first tournament and I had a great deal of fun, and was quite impressed with the job done by all parties involved at putting it together, and I hope to play some of the teams from that tournament again, because it was a lot of fun to meet you all and just a great experience for me. Thank you all, it was quite a lot of fun.