"Where Are You Going Next Year?" (Collegiate 2024)

Elaborate on the merits of specific tournaments or have general theoretical discussion here.
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

"Where Are You Going Next Year?" (Collegiate 2024)

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Someone on the internet asked for this to be made, so I obliged. To quote the quote of the quote in last year's thread:
It's that time of year again where people start to hear back from transfer applications, grad school apps, job offers, landlords, etc. and make plans to go places. Here is a thread in which current college players or members of the college quizbowl community can post where they'll be next. Please post only if you have something definite to share, though that includes things besides "I am going to x and such school for [degree]"; more general notes on moving to a new metropolitan area as a non-student/non-player/employee interested in continuing to staff or do outreach, etc. [are also welcome].
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
InfinitePeng
Lulu

Re: "Where Are You Going Next Year?" (Collegiate 2024)

Post by InfinitePeng »

I graduated from Mizzou this December and moved to the Champaign, IL area in January where I will be until August. I've very much appreciated how welcoming the Illinois Quizbowl Team has been in letting me crash their practices and generally be involved in their business. Happy to staff any events in the area including Chicago and St Louis and may occasionally go to some opens to score 4 ppg.
eva/alice wang

mizzou 23, st. joseph central 19

MOQBA, PACE, ACF sorta, other things
etotheipi
Lulu

Post by etotheipi »

I will be at St. Catherine's College, Oxford for a year.
Arya Karthik (they)

Lambert HS, 2018-22
Georgia Tech, 2022-24
St. Catherine's College, Oxford, 2024-25

t15 at 2022 HSNCT
Heiliger Dankgesang
Wakka

Post by Heiliger Dankgesang »

I'm excited to return to Duke in August to start a Ph.D. in their Department of Molecular Genetics & Microbiology! I look forward to sticking around the Triangle / Lower Mid-Atlantic circuit and plan to play as much as my schedule allows.
Jacob Egol
Duke '23, '30
Ranney '19
ACF
ahuff
Lulu

Post by ahuff »

I'm going to be getting a masters' at LSE starting in the fall. I will probably play some tournaments on the easier and more NAQTish sides and staff some tournaments on the harder and more ACFish side.

If anybody is willing to message me, I would love to learn more about the circuit and how I can connect with it.
Andy Huff
Chicago 2020
LSE 2025
JohnN
Lulu

Post by JohnN »

I will be moving to Jacksonville, FL to start my career in in Taxation later in 2024 after my graduation this May. I plan to stay active with University of Florida quizbowl and the larger Florida ciruit with both staffing and advisement and would like to expand my activity into the greater Southeast circuit for staffing and playing Open tournaments. I also plan to remain involved in ACF and hope to be able to offer my skills in helping other quizbowl organizations with logistics and other matters I might be able to assist in!
John Nienajadlo
ACF Treasurer 2023-2024, ACF Site Coordinator 2022-2023
University of Florida 2024
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

I will be starting a master's of public administration at NYU in the fall. I'm excited to return to the Northeast and plan on playing at least a few tournaments as my schedule allows.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
NYU '26 (ideally)
ACF
Ehtna
Lulu

Post by Ehtna »

I'll be starting a Chemistry Ph.D. at Northwestern University this upcoming fall. I have no intention of continuing to play in the collegiate circuit, but I'll almost certainly be Around:tm: in the quizbowl-sphere for the time being for opens and staffing and whatnot.
Ethan Ashbrook [he/him]
Minnesota '24
Northwestern ~'29
Mitchellaneous
Lulu

Post by Mitchellaneous »

I'll be starting an English PhD at Penn State this fall. I plan to continue playing quizbowl.
Mitch McCullar
Williamsville High School (2014-2018)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2018-2023)
Penn State University (2024-)
BenWeiner27
Wakka

Post by BenWeiner27 »

I will be staying put at Minnesota for the next four years as I pursue my MD. I am almost certainly done playing collegiate quizbowl for the time being, but I will be around in some capacity as a staffer/organizer as my availability allows.
Ben Weiner
Wayzata '20
Minnesota '24 '28
VP of Tournament Direction, PACE
wcheng
Wakka

Post by wcheng »

I'm starting an MDiv at Boston University this fall! I don't expect to play, but I might be around to help staff things.
Weijia Cheng (they/them)
Centennial '15
BS @ Maryland '18 (Fall)
MDiv @ BU '27
Turquoise
Lulu

Post by Turquoise »

I’m starting at the Carlson College of Veterinary Medicine at Oregon State this fall. I plan to attend the occasional online mirror every once in a while, but as far as I can tell, Oregon State has never had a quizbowl team. As I’ll likely be solo-ing, the NW circuit will likely have a fairly consistent last place team for the next bit!
Brynn Jones
Lake Zurich 2015-19
Alabama 2019-23
Oregon State 2024-28
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

Post by Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!! »

I will be starting a Master's at the University of Chicago in the Fall! I do not plan on playing, but I'd love to staff or TD some local events!
Ganon Evans
Misconduct Representative
ACF (former Treasurer, President), PACE VP of Editing, MOQBA
Francis Howell High School 2018, University of Iowa 2021, University of Chicago 2026
vathreya
Lulu

Post by vathreya »

I will be starting a PhD in Neuroscience at Rutgers this fall. Grad school is hard so I won't be as involved in qb as I was as an undergrad, but I will likely maintain a smaller level of involvement.
Vikshar Athreya
UW'22
Borrowing 100,000 Arrows
Wakka

Post by Borrowing 100,000 Arrows »

I'm gonna be a lecturer in cognitive science at Darmouth for the next couple of years. My impression is that Dartmouth's club is dead atm, but if someone restarts it, I'll be happy to staff tournaments and help out in any other way I can.
Caleb K.
Maryland '24, Oklahoma '18, Norman North '15
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul
Rikku

Post by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul »

Borrowing 100,000 Arrows wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:07 am I'm gonna be a lecturer in cognitive science at Darmouth for the next couple of years. My impression is that Dartmouth's club is dead atm, but if someone restarts it, I'll be happy to staff tournaments and help out in any other way I can.
Can't speak beyond this but fwiw they played Undergrad Championship.
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Post by High Dependency Unit »

Borrowing 100,000 Arrows wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:07 am I'm gonna be a lecturer in cognitive science at Darmouth for the next couple of years. My impression is that Dartmouth's club is dead atm, but if someone restarts it, I'll be happy to staff tournaments and help out in any other way I can.
It's worth noting that Hanover High School is located just off campus and is pretty active (including with hosting tournaments!).
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
AGoodMan
Rikku

Post by AGoodMan »

I'll be starting law school at Harvard in the fall. I want to play, though will likely take it slow during 1L.
Jon Suh
Wheaton Warrenville South High School '16
Harvard '20
Harvard '27
a_noob_bot
Lulu

Post by a_noob_bot »

High Dependency Unit wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:18 pm
It's worth noting that Hanover High School is located just off campus and is pretty active (including with hosting tournaments!).
Dartmouth's club is pretty dead, but Hanover is really active and we have a player base for the next 5 years or so. Would love to have you in sometime if you would like to play/staff! We plan to do 3 tournaments next year I believe (1 each for NH and VT leagues and 1 housewrite that's the annual VT vs NH tournament in November), as well as hosting for NHBB. The local middle school is also active but has had recruiting issues since I left in 2022, but "back in my day" it was really active and consistently made playoffs at MSNCT. The aim for me next year is to increase pyramidal QB to the area, as well as expanding the circuit to get more teams in.
Chris Chor (Any Pronouns)
Hanover HS '26
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

I'll be in NYC for the foreseeable future. Plan to staff the occasional college or high school tournament and play whatever open tournaments that I can get my hands on.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Play KnowIt, a mobile quizbowl-inspired game!
rdc20
Lulu

Post by rdc20 »

I'll be in New Haven through the middle of August then in Napa Valley until at least Thanksgiving.
Robert Condron
Strake Jesuit 2020
University of Chicago 2024
Shahar S.
Wakka

Post by Shahar S. »

I'll be working as a lab technician at Stanford for the next 2 years. I obviously won't be eligible to play ACF or NAQT events, but I'm planning on staying as active as possible both as a staffer and a solo player during that time. I'm also planning on applying to PhD programs again after I finish with that stint, and plan to continue playing whatever I can at that point as well.
Shahar Schwartz

Black Mountain '16
Westview '20
UC Berkeley '24