Top Rituals from the Top Teams

Anything that's on topic but doesn't fit elsewhere, including related events that might be of interest to quizbowl players.
quizbowlchamp1
Lulu

Top Rituals from the Top Teams

Post by quizbowlchamp1 »

As me and my team work hard this off-season to become a nats playoffs contender, I thought I ask would ask those with experience for some guidance. So...

Top teams: What rituals/habits do you guys have that allows you to focus or play better in any way. I'm specifically looking for pregame/in-game/post game rituals. Your replies are greatly appreciated.
Russ McGlaughn
7th Grade
Rainbow Middle School (2022-present)
Southside High School (2023-present)
2023, 2024 MSNCT Rising Star
Alabama MS State Champion 2024
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Re: Top Rituals from the Top Teams

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

By far the most important thing is just to prepare before your events with study and practice - no specific ritual is going to benefit you more than this kind of preparation
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Post by High Dependency Unit »

I recommend the haka to strike fear and intimidation into the hearts of your opponents.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
quizbowlcaptain
Lulu

Post by quizbowlcaptain »

High Dependency Unit wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 3:41 pm I recommend the haka to strike fear and intimidation into the hearts of your opponents.
To maximize the efficiency of the haka show up wearing traditional Maori garments.
Will McGlaughn
7th Grade
Rainbow Middle School Captain (2023-present)
23-24 ASCA State Champion
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you." -B.B. King
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

I don't know your ethnic background, but I recommend not performing important ceremonial dances of a culture you do not belong to unless you've been invited to do so.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
SomeArkansan
Wakka

Post by SomeArkansan »

quizbowlcaptain wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:31 pm
High Dependency Unit wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 3:41 pm I recommend the haka to strike fear and intimidation into the hearts of your opponents.
To maximize the efficiency of the haka show up wearing traditional Maori garments.
Showed up to a regional, played against a team that did this, and lost 510-15
Michael
Hazen Junior High '22-'24
Hazen HS '24-current

3x AGQBA Junior High All-Star
1x AGQBA HS All-Star
2024 2A Northeast Champion, 2A State Champion, AGQBA All Stars Tournament Champion
2024 Junior High State Scoring Leader - 20.2 tu/game

"Each moment free from fear makes a man immortal." - Alexander II of Macedonia, though I hear he was pretty great
quizbowlchamp1
Lulu

Post by quizbowlchamp1 »

alexdz wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:55 pm I don't know your ethnic background, but I recommend not performing important ceremonial dances of a culture you do not belong to unless you've been invited to do so.
As the creator of this post, I second this. Funny joke guys, but don't avidly engage in acts of cultural appropriation. :grin:
Russ McGlaughn
7th Grade
Stinkweed Imp
Lulu

Post by Stinkweed Imp »

Good Goblin Housekeeping wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:21 pm By far the most important thing is just to prepare before your events with study and practice - no specific ritual is going to benefit you more than this kind of preparation
I think everyone can benefit from the ritual of getting plenty of sleep before tournaments, staying hydrated, and eating breakfast (if that's your thing). Plus whenever I play a tournament near an active volcano I make sure to toss a few goats in, just to be safe.
Vivian Malouf
La Jolla '17
UC Berkeley
hexadecillion
Lulu

Post by hexadecillion »

Last weekend before playoffs, I spent about half an hour meditating/resting my mind in general. I did it again right before our game against Centennial. Every time I did it, my state of alertness went from feeling dead tired to almost like having a full night's sleep. I don't know if it'll help for everyone, but focusing on my breathing and not thinking about the stats of our team or other players helped me focus a lot more during the game.
Kevin Peng
Winston Churchill HS '24
Cornell University '28
Texas Über Alles
Lulu

Post by Texas Über Alles »

I have worn the same pair of socks with Albert Einstein’s face on them for every single tournament I’ve played since freshman year. I don’t even know if they help calm me down, but at this point it’s firmly tradition.
Bryce Cruise
Heights ‘24
UT Austin '28

“Knowledge is a competition to you, and you always feel you have to win it.”-Anonymous teammate
SomeArkansan
Wakka

Post by SomeArkansan »

During timeouts in close games, I stand up & pace around our team's side of the room
Michael
Hazen Junior High '22-'24
Hazen HS '24-current

3x AGQBA Junior High All-Star
1x AGQBA HS All-Star
2024 2A Northeast Champion, 2A State Champion, AGQBA All Stars Tournament Champion
2024 Junior High State Scoring Leader - 20.2 tu/game

"Each moment free from fear makes a man immortal." - Alexander II of Macedonia, though I hear he was pretty great
quizbowlchamp1
Lulu

Post by quizbowlchamp1 »

SomeArkansan wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 3:10 pm During timeouts in close games, I stand up & pace around our team's side of the room
I have done this before. I think my coach has a video of me pacing the room. We were at an HS tournament playing an HS team (West Point A) and we ended up with the W in that game so that worked.
hexadecillion wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 11:15 am Last weekend before playoffs, I spent about half an hour meditating/resting my mind in general. I did it again right before our game against Centennial. Every time I did it, my state of alertness went from feeling dead tired to almost like having a full night's sleep. I don't know if it'll help for everyone, but focusing on my breathing and not thinking about the stats of our team or other players helped me focus a lot more during the game.
Great idea. Definitely going to try this next year.

Thank you for the excellent advice! Keep it coming!

P.S. Try to keep the jokes infrequent. That way, they're funny.
Russ McGlaughn
7th Grade
halle
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by halle »

Mod stepping in here: On Tuesday, someone FZ'ed a post from this thread, naming the new thread "let's stop the derail here." I just had to move several more posts in that exact same vein that had been posted today, so the derail-stopping clearly didn't work. I'm going to call attention to the fact that these posts are being FZ'ed in the hope that it's more effective at stopping them.

As for the reason these posts are being FZ'ed: they're contentless, or borderline contentless. Honestly, Russ put it pretty well:
quizbowlchamp1 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 3:18 pm P.S. Try to keep the jokes infrequent. That way, they're funny.
Halle Friedman
Chicago 2020
NYU 2024
elyne road
Lulu

Post by elyne road »

To the OP--know that I am working on an extensive post with most of the actionable advice I have accrued over the course of my career. Since the thread got derailed rather quickly, I might make open a new thread in order to address all of the points I want to get out. The reason I am taking my time with this is because I want to add citations and examples from my own career (and, when it comes to things I am not as qualified to speak about, from other excellent posts and guides) in order to make the post as comprehensive as possible. For now, just know that it's really refreshing to see people ask about improving at the non-studying components of quizbowl since those are the skills which tend to help people play this game in a healthy and sustainable manner. This isn't meant to be the post to read to magically address all potential concerns, but rather my best shot based on my career and advice from peers which has helped tremendously, especially as it pertains to the challenges one may encounter along the path of trying to "get good."
S. A. Shenoy (they/them)

Georgia Tech 2024
Charter School of Wilmington 2019
quizbowlchamp1
Lulu

Post by quizbowlchamp1 »

elyne road wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 3:20 pm To the OP--know that I am working on an extensive post with most of the actionable advice I have accrued over the course of my career.
This would be extremely helpful. I'm open to any advice (especially from an ICT winner).
elyne road wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 3:20 pm Since the thread got derailed rather quickly, I might make open a new thread in order to address all of the points I want to get out.
That would be preferable. I don't want this thread to explode. Once you create said post, PM me with the link!
elyne road wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 3:20 pm The reason I am taking my time with this is because I want to add citations and examples from my own career (and, when it comes to things I am not as qualified to speak about, from other excellent posts and guides) in order to make the post as comprehensive as possible.
No rush. I'm very excited to see what you have to say.

If there are any other extremely experienced quizbowlers out there (ex. you have an ICT, CCCT, IPNCT, HSNCT, SSNCT, or MSNCT win), feel free to make a post similar to the one mentioned above.
Russ McGlaughn
7th Grade
Sit Quietly, Alone
Lulu

Post by Sit Quietly, Alone »

in imitation of david bass, i've been known to get the blood pumping before the odd match with a few pushups. i also wear the same green pants to most tournaments, having once been complimented on them by jim fan.
Joseph Chambers
Douglas Freeman '22
Virginia '26