Tech Triumph HS Tournament (10/7/06) @ VT (Blacksburg, VA)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
A-Wing
Kimahri

Tech Triumph HS Tournament (10/7/06) @ VT (Blacksburg, VA)

Post by A-Wing »

The Academic Competition Organization of Virginia Tech, we are pleased to announce the Tech Triumph High School Tournament. The tournament will take place on 7 October 2006 on the campus of Virginia Tech.

National Academic Quiz Tournaments, Inc is the question supplier for the Fall tournament. Schools that have played in tournaments that used NAQT question set IS-54 should not enter the tournament.

We will allocate spaces in the tournament on the basis of priority entry, and with an interest in giving as many schools as possible the opportunity to participate. There is a cap of 32 teams. The tournament format will depend on the number of entrants. Possible formats include Swiss pairings and round-robin pool play.

The tournament entry fee is $65 for a school’s first team, and $60 for all subsequent teams. Schools that provide buzzer or lockout systems for the tournament will receive a $10 discount per system. We will allocate these discounts to as many schools as possible.

Please contact Adam Chin (china [at] vt [dot] edu) to ask any questions or to register your team.
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

You don't suppose TJ's tournament might...how you say...take a bite out of your field?
bigmac
Lulu

Post by bigmac »

In addition to a conflict with one of the yearly "majors", we also would hesitate to come because you are using a packet that has been on sale since last Spring. We either played at a tournament with these questions or already purchased them ourselves.
RM coach
A-Wing
Kimahri

Post by A-Wing »

Well we made sure to get a packet that has not been sold to anyone in the state nor has been played in the state.
And it was unfortunate that it had to coincide with TJ, but we needed a date when Blacksburg would not be filled with football traffic or likely covered in snow.
mithokie
Rikku

Tech Triumph Tournament

Post by mithokie »

As coach of a team from SW Virginia, I know that Auburn HS will certainly come to the VT tourney as opposed to travelling to NoVA. We might possibly bring two teams. We start practice tomorrow, and I will see how many players are going to be available for that weekend. I am slightly concerned about the tourney being on a released packet. Does anyone know what packet was used at UVA in Februaury? I seem to remember that being IS-56, but I can't remember for sure?
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I don't mind if the tournament conflicts with another. Blacksburg is far enough away that there are some schools who may not mind making the trip.

But I am wondering why you took a packet that was available last year. Is it because new packets aren't ready?
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

Is there a field update for the tournament?
Snoopy17
Lulu

Post by Snoopy17 »

First of all I will apologize about this being so late, our Tournament Organizer's Computer has been dying so I am posting this field update for him.

Cave Spring High School x 3
2 Buzzer sets

Eastern Montgomery High School
2 Buzzer sets

Northside High School
1 Buzzer set

Parry McCleur High School x 2
2 Buzzer sets
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

Thanks for running the tournament. It was a lot of fun and I'm glad to see that my alma mater is trying to bring greater awareness to academic competition in this part of the state. My kids had a lot of fun and we're looking forward to coming back. Congratulations to Northside for the closest final round I've watched in years.

I hope next time around we might get to see Blacksburg, Radford or Salem...