Chicago Open Weekend Sunday Side Events

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).

Which side event(s) would you be interested in playing CO Sunday evening?

Poll runs till Fri Jul 19, 2024 10:34 pm

TOWNS
14%
QANTA
5%
Untitled Film Set
7%
Ahead by a Century
12%
History of the World, Part II
15%
TELEOLOGY 3
6%
Notes on the Underground
16%
LITANY
13%
JORDU 2
7%
This Set Is Garbo
5%

Total votes: 110

Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

Chicago Open Weekend Sunday Side Events

Post by Dantooine is Big! »

Hi all, I'm happy to announce that the weekend of Chicago Open at Northwestern University in Evanston, IL (the weekend of July 27th), on Sunday, after Chicago Open Trash finishes up late in the afternoon, we will be able to have side events run for interested parties. Because of potential conflicts with CO Trash, we will not be facilitating running any side events before CO Trash is finished. We expect to start any side events that day around 6pm, and such side events should expect to wrap up around 9-10pm, if not earlier. We can only expect to run so many side events concurrently before running out of rooms, buzzers, and/or attendees, so to gauge potential interest for any given side event, I am running a poll above. Listed below and in the poll are descriptions of all of the side events that are prospectively available to be played during that timeslot — the descriptions below also include, for some, info on the events' potential formats. We expect to potentially run up to 3 events concurrently; fewer is probably more likely, and the possibility of running any more than that seems limited.
  • TOWNS (regional American history, geography, and culture)
  • QANTA (humans vs. computers) - prospectively duos
  • TELEOLOGY 3 (open level hybrid) - teams of 4 or shootout
Young Fenimore Lee (they/them)
Stevenson High School 2017
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Re: Chicago Open Weekend Sunday Side Events

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Sounds like what we should really do is bring back Side Event Weekend!
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Yeah, I'd love to play some of these sets, but perhaps not really late on a Sunday against a presumably dwindling field. I'd encourage someone...perhaps in the MIdwest (Purdue? Indiana? Michigan State? Michigan? UIUC? Ohio U?) can host one.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Limonana
Lulu

Post by Limonana »

I'd like to encourage running Bonus Eventus if there's interest in a classics side event this summer! If there's a Midwestern Side Event Weekend (preferably closer to Dayton than Chicago), I might be available to run it in person.
Nour Hijazi
Sidney '17
Wright State University '21
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Finals for CO Trash will likely begin around 6pm, and we will exercise our prerogative to strongly discourage any side events from beginning before then. Given the typical travel plans of CO attendees, it seems prudent to host side events at a separate weekend rather than try to cram them in on Sunday night for a diminished audience, but of course people are free to do what they would like.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum