JORDU 2: Jazz Side Event (Summer 2024)

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).
Asterias Wrathbunny
Wakka

JORDU 2: Jazz Side Event (Summer 2024)

Post by Asterias Wrathbunny »

I'm about 25% done with a follow-up to 2021's JORDU, which will be ready by this winter. The set is being written without taking into account the answerlines of the original, meaning some answerlines might be repeated between the sets. The target difficulty is slightly harder, but there will be fewer long note-spelling clues.

The set distribution is the same.

6 "bop" - be-bop, hard bop, post-bop, modal jazz (includes all Western combo jazz that does not fall under the avant-garde umbrella)
4 Origins/Tin Pan Alley
3 Big-Band/Swing
3 "Other", subcategorized into 1 world, 1 rock/rap/pop, and 1 uncategorized
2 jazz fusion
1 singer/vocal performance
1 free jazz/avant-garde
Last edited by Asterias Wrathbunny on Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Victor Pavao
Acton-Boxborough '14, Villanova '18
aidantf
Lulu

Re: JORDU 2: Jazz Side Event (Winter 2023)

Post by aidantf »

Consider me signed up.
Aidan Fein
Springfield High School '20
Vanderbilt University '24
jmarvin_
Wakka

Post by jmarvin_ »

[Mod note: no giant image macros, please.]
john marvin
university of chicago - joint ph.d., philosophy and philosophy of religions, 2028
university of chicago - m.a. philosophy of religions, 2021
boston college - b.a. theology, 2018
aidantf
Lulu

Post by aidantf »

Any update on this set’s progress and when you’re shooting for to have this played?
Aidan Fein
Springfield High School '20
Vanderbilt University '24
Asterias Wrathbunny
Wakka

aidantf wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:54 am Any update on this set’s progress and when you’re shooting for to have this played?
This set's progress has been halted a bit due to other commitments, but I can confirm that it's not vaporware and I did make a lot of progress in the fall. Since potential opportunities to mirror this won't be happening until March at the earliest, I'm not pushing to complete it any sooner. My goal is to play it as a side event at least once around Nats/CO season and then run an online mirror.
Victor Pavao
Asterias Wrathbunny
Wakka

Re: JORDU 2: Jazz Side Event (Summer 2024)

Posting an update that I'm looking to run this event on CO Sunday, ideally not at the same time as Ani's film event.
Victor Pavao
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Asterias Wrathbunny wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:14 pm Posting an update that I'm looking to run this event on CO Sunday, ideally not at the same time as Ani's film event.
Word of warning, CO Trash is a full-day event and any other side events would have to be pushed to fairly late in the day. We have historically not had the capacity (and I think I can speak for Carsten, Andrew, and not Cory Haala to say that the CO Trash editing team would oppose any attempt) to run other side events simultaneously with CO Trash; among other things, both the field and the staffing pool for both events would likely be very negatively affected.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Asterias Wrathbunny
Wakka

Auks Ran Ova wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:37 pm
Asterias Wrathbunny wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:14 pm Posting an update that I'm looking to run this event on CO Sunday, ideally not at the same time as Ani's film event.
Word of warning, CO Trash is a full-day event and any other side events would have to be pushed to fairly late in the day. We have historically not had the capacity (and I think I can speak for Carsten, Andrew, and not Cory Haala to say that the CO Trash editing team would oppose any attempt) to run other side events simultaneously with CO Trash; among other things, both the field and the staffing pool for both events would likely be very negatively affected.
So I am aware of the tradition of not running side events simultaneously with CO Trash, but believe the circumstances for my event make for a rare exception. The first JORDU was run on a CO side event Sunday and even then only drew 11 players (at least 2 of whom showed up specifically for it) and it required just 3 rooms and staffers. Assuming that the audience would be of similar size this year, and that I would probably lose a couple folks to CO Trash, I did not think it was likely at all that both events would be negatively affected. There's also no content overlap like CO Trash would have with, say, a film event that might draw players.

I informally polled the few people who personally expressed interest in playing JORDU at CO and none were interested in CO Trash, and given the option, would prefer to play my event during the day. After hearing about the volume of interesting side events people are trying to fit in after Trash this year, I came to the conclusion that running this event would be impossible then. I thought it'd make sense to make a formal survey on my thread to confirm that interested players wanted to play it during the day. If the organizers are opposed to sanctioning events during CO Trash regardless of a poll, I'll push my event to next year. My goal is not to be iconoclastic with CO Trash tradition, just practical with my set.
Victor Pavao
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

My concern would be the overlap in potential staffers, rooms, and buzzers, less than the field. But I also don't know what format you had planned.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Asterias Wrathbunny
Wakka

After getting some feedback affirming what Rob said, I'm going to run this event after CO Trash and also online at a later date.
Victor Pavao