TOWNS [American geography/culture side event, Summer 2024]

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).
CPiGuy
Auron

TOWNS [American geography/culture side event, Summer 2024]

Post by CPiGuy »

This is an announcement for TOWNS (Tossups On Wide-ranging Noteworthy Settlements), a side event about regional American history, geography, and culture, with a particular emphasis on small towns, primarily written by myself and Joel Miles with contributions from Guy Indorante. There will be some number of packets (probably somewhere in the range of 6-8) of powermarked tossups. There will be no set distribution, but we'll look to provide a reasonable spread of geographic and subject/topic content within each packet. This tournament will be hard -- the modal tossup is probably around Nats/CO difficulty.

For a taste of what you can expect, here are two tossups that helped inspire this set (one of which I submitted to 2023 ACF Nationals, the other of which was possibly my favorite question from 2022 Chicago Open):
An extended creed called the “Articles of Faith and Practice” is used by several denominations based in this city, including one founded by Granville Hedrick that has been accused of “squatting” on real estate in this city. The Daily Prayer for Peace is said every day at 1 pm in a building in this city whose 300-foot spiraling steel spire dominates its skyline. A city built by Enoch for the descendents of Adam will return from Heaven in this real-world city, where a religious leader planned the construction of 24 temples at the center of a large settlement in his “Plat of Zion”. The lion, lamb, and child are depicted in the seal of a religious movement based in this city called the Community of Christ, which was led for over a century by the descendants of Joseph Smith. Mormon traditions associate the “New Jerusalem” with, for 10 points, what Kansas City suburb in Jackson County, Missouri?
This city’s historic district contains the Mai Wah Museum and the Pekin Noodle Parlor, the latter of which is the oldest continuously operating Chinese restaurant in the US. Workers in this city carried “rustling cards” that allowed their employers to pre-emptively identify union agitators. Due to the inaction of this city’s mayor Lewis Duncan, governor Sam Stewart declared martial law in response to a series of riots in this city in 1914 that began at a parade celebrating the founding of union chapter (*) BMU No. 1. Future senator Burton Wheeler rose to prominence defending labor activists from this city during a period of unrest catalyzed by the Speculator Mine disaster. The 1917 lynching of I·W·W organizer Frank Little took place in this city, which was nicknamed “The Richest Hill on Earth.” For 10 points, William A. Clark, Marcus Daly, and F. Augustus Heinze (“HYNE-tsuh”) were the “Copper Kings” of what city in Montana?
We would like to run this as a side event on the Sunday evening of CO (after CO Trash); additional information on that is subject to logisticking by the CO folks (but I understand some sort of interest/scheduling poll should be forthcoming). We would also love to see this run at side event weekends, etc. and will almost certainly run it online later in the year.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
RexSueciae
Tidus

Re: TOWNS [American geography/culture side event, Summer 2024]

Post by RexSueciae »

This sounds like delightful lunacy, and depending on logistics I'd like to give this a shot at side event weekends or online.
Vasa Clarke

Maggie Walker '14
Virginia '18
William and Mary '21
roan089
Lulu

Post by roan089 »

I can't wait to play this.
Roan Dowling
UIowa '25
Rikku
Location: a vibrant metropolis, the equal of Paris or New York

Post by 1.82 »

I would love to play this CO weekend at a time that doesn't conflict with trash.
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
chiefchirpa
Kimahri

Post by chiefchirpa »

Super excited to play this whenever the online version happens.
Truman Fillbrandt
University of Washington '26