ESPN @ Duke (Open, 03/23/2024)

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).
DubiousHandles
Lulu

ESPN @ Duke (Open, 03/23/2024)

Post by DubiousHandles »

I am pleased to announce that Duke Quiz Bowl will be hosting a mirror of ESPN on March 23, 2024.

Site Information:
This tournament will be held on March 23, 2024 on East Campus. The opening meeting will begin at 8:45 a.m. Eastern Time and gameplay will begin at 9:00 a.m. I, Kevin Jiang, will be the tournament director. Please direct any questions about this site to me at kevin [DOT] jiang [AT] duke [DOT] edu or post them in this thread.

Rules and Eligibility:
This tournament will use ACF’s gameplay rules with their addendum for the inclusion of powermarks, and taking into account that ESPN packets are 22/22. This is an open tournament.

Registration and Team Formation:
This tournament’s field will be capped at 16 teams, after which a waitlist will form.

An unofficial team formation and staff signup spreadsheet can be found here.

To officially register for the tournament, teams must fill out this Google Form. Registration will close on Monday, March 18 at 11:59 pm.

Fees and Payment:
Base fee: $140 per team
Shorthanded discount : -$40 for team of 1 or 2 players
Buzzer discount: –$10 per functional buzzer system that supports at least 8 players
Team-provided staff discount: –$20 per experienced staffer with functional laptop
Distance discount: –$10 per 200 miles traveled one-way from your school to Duke (according to Google Maps; discount only applicable for closed teams or at TD discretion)
Minimum fee: $70 per team

We will accept payment by check, Venmo, PayPal, and cash, although check is preferred. Teams will be provided with an invoice and an account/address for payment. Any questions or concerns regarding payment should be sent to me directly.

Code of Conduct:
Duke and UNC Quiz Bowl are committed to fostering a safe and welcoming environment for everyone. All of this tournament’s players and staff will be required to abide by the 2021 WORKSHOP Code of Conduct (with online-specific protocols adjusted for being in-person).
Kevin Jiang
Duke '24
DubiousHandles
Lulu

Re: ESPN @ Duke (Open, 03/23/2024)

Post by DubiousHandles »

Congratulations to UNC A (Vincent Du, Benjamin McAvoy-Bickford, Jim Fan, Jonathan Shauf) for winning this tournament, going 8-1. Thanks to everyone who played today, and thank you to Kevin Thomas and Miranda Smith, who graciously offered their time to staff this tournament.

Full stats can be found here.
Kevin Jiang
Duke '24