ACHERON I (Planetfall, 4/28) -- ONLINE

Post high school tournament announcements and results here, along with logistical information. Interest checks, opinions, and other in-depth discussion of tournaments should go in the forum below.
ajyara
Kimahri

ACHERON I (Planetfall, 4/28) -- ONLINE

Post by ajyara »

I am thrilled to announce ACHERON Series I, an online quizbowl tournament hosted by Ahadi Yara, Lokajith Premkumar, and Mira Rajagopal, advised by Bratton Holmes. The tournament will be hosted on Sunday, April 28. This tournament will be using a mirror of Planetfall, at the high school regular difficulty.

All teams with players in middle and high school who have NOT played the Planetfall packets are welcome to join the tournament.

Teams may register using Google Forms. Registration will close on April 24th. Priority will be given to teams that are not shorthanded, and then on a first-come, first-serve basis.

REGISTRATION LINKS:
https://forms.gle/XCermc7uQDYXMUV67 (Middle School Registration)
https://forms.gle/LVzd9HoEBvz4pYvv9 (High School Registration)
https://forms.gle/r9TWLYqhCrpcJ7sN8 (Staff Registration Form)

Rosters will have a maximum of 5 players. Only 4 players may play at a time. All NAQT rules apply (12-minute TIMED halves) and teams must follow a NO CHEATING POLICY. Each cycle will consist of 1 tossup and 3 bonuses given to the team that got the tossup. There will be 2 divisions (1 MS, 1 HS), with each team guaranteed 12 matches. There will be no computational math during both tossups and bonuses.

All games will be played over Discord, with buzzing being held over buzzin.live. To compete and staff, all players and staffers MUST make a Discord account.

FEES AND DISCOUNTS:
Base fee: $80 per team
Late fee (not fully paid within a week of the tournament): +$30
Shorthanded (1-2 players): -$10 per team
Staff discount: -$25 per competent staffer
Minimum fee: $30 per team

For all moderators, we will ensure that they can be heard clearly over their microphone in a tryout-like fashion. Please give us information as to when you are available for this and your role as a staffer in the Staff Tryouts Form linked above.

Payments must be made to cash.app$AhadiYara within 2 days of the tournament (Friday, April 26), with late fees being given to teams that provide payment a week after the tournament is held.

Teams that cancel less than 48 hours before the competition must pay full price. Please contact [email protected] (depressednerd on Discord) for additional information about the tournament.
Last edited by ajyara on Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ahadi Yara
Smith '25
ajyara
Kimahri

Re: ACHERON I (Planetfall, 4/28) -- ONLINE

Post by ajyara »

Date changed to 4/28 due to certain conflict with people's schedules. Thank you!
Ahadi Yara
Smith '25
hz375
Kimahri

Post by hz375 »

What time (in what timezone) will the tournament start?
Hannah Zhou
Millburn High School '24
ajyara
Kimahri

Post by ajyara »

The tournament is based in EST and will start at 9:00 A.M.
Last edited by ajyara on Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ahadi Yara
Smith '25
ajyara
Kimahri

Post by ajyara »

ACHERON Field (Last Updated 4/25)

This is the current field for ACHERON:

The following teams have registered:

Oak Valley A
Oak Valley B
Sycamore
T.H. Rogers A
T.H Rogers B
The Anderson School
HSMSE
Yukon A
Yukon B
William Fremd
Kingdom of Odysseus

11/12 teams have registered.
Last edited by ajyara on Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ahadi Yara
Smith '25
ajyara
Kimahri

Post by ajyara »

Due to a lack of enough sign ups in each division, the divisions have been MERGED. The format will remain the same.
Ahadi Yara
Smith '25