Why is NAQT's distribution so different from housewrites?

This forum is for discussing tournament formats, question styles, strategy, and such.
voicedvelarnasal
Kimahri

Why is NAQT's distribution so different from housewrites?

Post by voicedvelarnasal »

Compared to most housewrites, IS sets have more trash, more science, more history, and less RMPSS and fine arts. Why is this?
Orion Li Arthur
Chamblee High School
quizbowlchamp1
Lulu

Re: Why is NAQT's distribution so different from housewrites?

Post by quizbowlchamp1 »

Here's what I found. (via the QBWiki)
Most tournaments follow the lead of ACF in using a "per-packet" distribution, which means that categories will occur in the same proportions in every packet across the entire set (e.g. every packet will have 4/4 literature tossups/bonuses if any one packet has 4/4 tossups/bonuses). NAQT is an exception to this standard—its packet-assembly software uses a fixed distribution for each category across the entire set, then allots it across packets with some variation in the occurrence for each packet (so a single packet might have 4/4 literature, 5/4 literature, or 4/5 literature, but never 2/2).

User was tempbanned for one day for failing to take heed of board rules after being officially warned to read them carefully. Please note that substantive edits to post content—including edits that remove previous warnings—are forbidden. “Do not under any circumstances edit your post to change its meaning or the meaning of a subsequent post that responds to it, or to hide something you were criticized for.” Take a day off to really read and internalize these rules. — the Mgmt
Last edited by quizbowlchamp1 on Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ McGlaughn
7th Grade
Rainbow Middle School (2022-present)
Southside High School (2023-present)
2023 MSNCT Rising Star
Alabama State Champion 2024
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I'm skeptical they actually have more science, unless I guess if you count math as science.

Typically, IS sets (or any NAQT set) has more trash, geography, and current events at the expense of literature, fine arts, and RMPSS. I think a lot of times people confuse a CE and geo question for history, so that adds to the perception there is more history.

I really can't speak for NAQT, but I do think the NAQT distribution is not meant to match a typical mACF housewrite distribution. Regardless of your personal feelings, I think having a more unique distro in which (ideally well-written) popular culture, geo, and CE questions appear with more frequency is a nice counterpoint for quizbowl, particularly for newer teams and players. Sometimes I think this also helps with some difficulty issues, as I think some high school housewrites strain to find accessible answerlines and clues for fine arts and RMPSS questions. However, I will also say this leads to a relative paucity of some important academic topics, which can get even more annoying the further you go up the NAQT difficulty scale.

But ultimately, it comes down to an intentional, different choice. The NAQT distribution is different because it chooses to reward different levels of knowledge. I personally enjoy it because many quizbowl tournaments do not reward this knowledge, and I enjoy that quizbowl has various tournaments with different types of distributions.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Santa Claus
Rikku

Post by Santa Claus »

quizbowlchamp1 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:24 pm Here's what I found. (via the QBWiki)
[...]
This paragraph (link) is referring to how the distribution is implemented, not what the particular subdistributions are or the reasoning behind them.

As Mike notes, it is simply a choice that NAQT made. One might also ask why so many housewrites choose to follow the mACF distribution - the preference of the writing teams surely plays a role, but I would imagine that convention has a major part as well.
Kevin Wang
Arcadia High School 2015
Amherst College 2019

2018 PACE NSC Champion
2019 PACE NSC Champion