Seattle Open - NASAT Mirror - 9/2/23

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).
Mike Bentley
Sin

Seattle Open - NASAT Mirror - 9/2/23

Post by Mike Bentley »

Hi, I'll be organizing an open mirror of NASAT at the University of Washington on Saturday, September 2nd. This is Labor Day weekend. This is usually amongst the best times to visit Seattle. You should consider an out-of-town trip to play this and maybe see the Bumbershoot music festival on Sunday. Maybe go for a hike or something too.

To register, email me at [email protected]. Entry fee will be $30 per player. An unofficial sign-up sheet is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

It's possible we'll run a side event if there's interest, but I may not be able to personally attend / organize it because I likely have commitments on Saturday night. If enough people are around maybe we could do something on Friday beforehand.

Tournament will most likely be in Savery Hall starting around 8:30 AM. More details pending. We'll probably order pizza for lunch to keep things moving fast.

Looking for staff, too. Will pay $50 per staffer.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: Seattle Open - NASAT Mirror - 9/2/23

Post by Mike Bentley »

If you're interested in playing and haven't put your name / team down on the sign-up sheet above, please do so. Field is looking very sparse right now and may need to cancel if we don't get enough interest by next week. Hope that's not the case, though.
Mike Bentley
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

This was announced very late -- while Seattle is very cool and I might one day consider planning a trip there that involves playing a tournament, there's no way I could have done so with less than four weeks' notice. I imagine I'm not the only one who feels similarly. If you (general audience you) are relying on people from outside the area to fly in to your area to have a field, you need to make an announcement months ahead of time.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Adventure Temple Trail wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:43 pm This was announced very late -- while Seattle is very cool and I might one day consider planning a trip there that involves playing a tournament, there's no way I could have done so with less than four weeks' notice. I imagine I'm not the only one who feels similarly. If you (general audience you) are relying on people from outside the area to fly in to your area to have a field, you need to make an announcement months ahead of time.
Yeah that's understandable. I am mostly hoping that there might be interest from people in California after an earlier planned NASAT mirror in California on this date fell through (the main reason for the late announcement). Having booked some not that far our flights from Seattle to the Bay Area or LA in the past, prices typically aren't that unreasonable.

That being said, if anyone wants to fly out from further away, great.
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

We've had enough sign ups that I can say with pretty high confidence the tournament will take place. Looking like we'll have 4 teams for a triple round robin but if you're interested in playing and aren't on the sign-up sheet yet, please let me know soon.
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Congrats to UW B for going undefeated. Stats are here: https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/8323/

Thanks to Sally and Isaac for staffing, and for everyone for bearing with us as we had to find new rooms and deal with the surprise (to me) football game.
Mike Bentley