COLONIAL- A History Side Event

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).
Shorts are comfy and easy to wear
Lulu

COLONIAL- A History Side Event

Post by Shorts are comfy and easy to wear »

This is an early announcement for COLONIAL (COLlection Of Novel and Interesting AnswerLines), a tossups only history side event will likely be ready some time next year. As the title suggests, this set will be entirely on my favorite period/topic, colonialism from 1492-mid-20th century. My vision is for this to be very hard (think CO 2017), but with answerlines that shouldn't go over the majority of history players' heads. There will be powers and superpowers. Given the smaller scope of the set, I don't want to create subdistros now that I can't meet later, but I will strive to vary topics by time and geography.

Collaboration?
Maybe. I'm open to this being interdisciplinary, with a distro similar to Age of Empires, and doing so would require bringing on people who could write in non-history disciplines. However, I'd want any other topics, e.g., art, lit, phil, SS, to carry the colonial theme. For a lit example, Kipling's writings set in India or directly about colonialism fit; Lyrical Ballads, though from the period, does not. The exact distros would be worked out depending on how many subjects are added. If you are interested in joining me within these parameters, you can message me here, email me ([email protected]), or find me through the main quizbowl Discord (Alex Fregeau #3816).

Length
This will depend on whether COLONIAL becomes interdisciplinary and how many question ideas I can come up with without becoming redundant. If it's only history, expect 5-6 packets, and with other distros, maybe 7-8.
Alex Fregeau
UIUC 2016 Linguistics
Lewis Univeristy 2022 Secondary Education
Gene Harrogate
Wakka

Re: COLONIAL- A History Side Event

Post by Gene Harrogate »

Very excited about this tournament!
Henry Atkins
ex-McGill
Lulu

It's well past time for some updates:

1. Kevin Park, Quynh Phung, and Jason Golfinos have joined me in writing this set.
2. It will be five 20-question packets, all tossups.
3. The distribution will be 10 history, 4 FA, 3 Lit, and 3 religion/philosophy
4. We intend to have this completed for CO.
Alex Fregeau
UIUC 2016 Linguistics
Lulu

Cross-posting from the thread in Playtesting: We'd like to playtest COLONIAL over two sessions on Discord. The first session will be the history (50 tossups plus a spare or two) during the week of 7/17-7/23 at a specific date and time to be determined later. The second session will be FA, lit, and religion/phil (50 tossups plus a spare or two) during the week of 7/24-7/30, with the date and time also determined later. Please fill out this form if you'd like to join: https://forms.gle/fa79snYpBgV3CbYr8
Alex Fregeau
UIUC 2016 Linguistics
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Are you going to run a separate online mirror? That affects whether I'd play test or not.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Lulu

Mike Bentley wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:27 pm Are you going to run a separate online mirror? That affects whether I'd play test or not.
Maybe some time in late August or September. Sorry that I don’t have a more definitive answer, but I want to focus on finishing CO
Alex Fregeau
UIUC 2016 Linguistics