Summer Opens?

Elaborate on the merits of specific tournaments or have general theoretical discussion here.
Cheynem
Sin

Summer Opens?

Post by Cheynem »

Are there plans for any non-CO summer opens this year? I can not attend CO weekend, so I'm interested in traveling somewhere, and there's also a host of interesting potential side events/summer tournaments I hope get mirrored (presumably they all can't run at CO). Furthermore, I'd like to run my baseball tournament at some summer event if possible. There hasn't been a Side Event Open (or a summer open, really) in the Midwest the last few years, unless you count somewhere like Minneapolis. However, I'm sure other regions (and myself) would be interested in hearing if there's plans for such opens elsewhere.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Re: Summer Opens?

Post by ryanrosenberg »

I'd like to run another NorCal side event weekend, probably in August after CO. It would be great to have people come out here again!
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Borrowing 100,000 Arrows
Wakka

Post by Borrowing 100,000 Arrows »

I'm pretty sure UMD will likely host a mirror of either NASAT or maybe COOT this summer. We will also try to play as many side events as possible.
Caleb K.
Maryland '24, Oklahoma '18, Norman North '15
Gene Harrogate
Wakka

Post by Gene Harrogate »

There will likely be several Canadian weekends hitting all the major events. The only one announced so far is BHSU on 5/20.
Henry Atkins
ex-McGill
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

Borrowing 100,000 Arrows wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:55 am I'm pretty sure UMD will likely host a mirror of either NASAT or maybe COOT this summer. We will also try to play as many side events as possible.
Can confirm this will almost certainly happen. I think VCU wants to host one of these tournaments as well, so clearly the Mid-Atlantic is the place to be this summer.
connor mayers
maryland
BenWeiner27
Wakka

Post by BenWeiner27 »

Minnesota is working on organizing an open weekend of some kind in Minneapolis in either July or August. Hopefully a specific date can be announced within a week or two.
Ben Weiner
Wayzata '20
Minnesota '24
VP of Tournament Direction, PACE
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul
Rikku

Post by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul »

I will politely (and annoyingly) plead to one of the NYC schools to host something fun this summer (though I'm ofc also excited to trip on down to the lower mid atlantic for some stuff)
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
Lake Winnipesaukee Mystery Stone
Wakka

Post by Lake Winnipesaukee Mystery Stone »

We are very much looking for American and Canadian hosts of COOT mirrors, so please get in touch with me if you want this to happen!
Oliver Clarke
King Edward's School, Birmingham '11
Oxford '16
St Andrews '18
Oxford '23
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Both NASAT & the Undergraduate Championship are available for mirroring.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
mazinomer
Lulu

Post by mazinomer »

I know there used to be a side event weekend in Michigan before the pandemic – is there any chance of it returning this summer?
Mazin Omer
Ottawa Hills High School '19
Harvard '23
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Lake Winnipesaukee Mystery Stone wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:58 pm We are very much looking for American and Canadian hosts of COOT mirrors, so please get in touch with me if you want this to happen!
I will once again endorse COOT as a Barrel Of Fun.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

VCU is planning on running an open weekend. The tentative date is July 7&8 though this is subject to change if there is a better weekend for likely attendees. We are happy to let Maryland pick from COOT or NASAT and run whichever one they don't as the main event. We'll run available side events in the time we have. If there is more time than there are remaining side events, maybe we'll do some sort of guerrilla trash thing. Once MD sets their plans I will have a full announcement.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

mazinomer wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:05 pm I know there used to be a side event weekend in Michigan before the pandemic – is there any chance of it returning this summer?
I would really love to see this (although, I should point out even pre-pandemic, this was somewhat touch and go due to being unable to reserve rooms and running into locked gamerooms).

Also, I would very much like Super Acronym 4 to be mirrored at one of these tournaments.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

thedoge
Lulu

Post by thedoge »

Votre Kickstarter Est Nul wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:43 pm I will politely (and annoyingly) plead to one of the NYC schools to host something fun this summer (though I'm ofc also excited to trip on down to the lower mid atlantic for some stuff)
We’ll try to see what we can do

Edit: I checked and not much can be done
Geoffrey Wu
NNHS '21 | Columbia '25
creator of qbreader.org
Antrobus63
Wakka

Post by Antrobus63 »

I did a multi-event open QB thing at Columbia a few years back and loved it, so... while it ain't NYC or Philly, what about Muhlenberg College here in Allentown? I have run my test prep classes there for many years and have gotten reduced rates for various extracurricular events, including NHBB tournaments. Here are the driving times from some major cities (NOT at rush hour):

One hour from Philly.
Two hours from NYC.
Three hours from Ithaca.
Three hours from Baltimore.
Three-and-a-half hours from DC.
Five-and-a-half hours from Boston.

There are direct buses to Allentown from Philly, NYC, and Ithaca. You can do train-bus or bus-bus from Baltimore and DC. Boston... a combo of plane/train/car. Indeed, Allentown has a decent airport and, I think, has direct flights to and from all of these cities, as well as Chicago, etc..

I am NOT saying I would run the thing, merely that I could coordinate the game rooms with the college. I don't know if lodging could be arranged but I could ask. Like many colleges, Muhlenberg is strapped for money these days and will listen to pretty much any proposal.
Peter Schmidt
Columbia '84, Yale '88
Coach, Moravian Academy History Bowl 2020-23
Lehigh Valley Academy 2016-18
Pennsylvania NASAT '15, ‘18, ‘22, '23
Owner and Teacher, Prepare Test Preparation
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Very cool to see announcements for a number of these events.

Is there any location in the Midwest that could run a July open of some sort? I'd be happy to take on some of the logistical aspects if needed, but it would be cool for somewhere in Michigan/Ohio/Indiana/Illinois to run such an event.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

L.H.O.O.Q.
Wakka

Post by L.H.O.O.Q. »

I will gladly attend online open mirrors, especially if they happen to be three dots or easier.
Sarah Benner
Avon HS 2013-17, Purdue 2017-21
Unofficial QB Advisor for Purdue, Ohio State, and the State of Indiana

May refer to herself in the third person.