VCU Open (NASAT Mirror): July 8 + 9 2023

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).
Matt Weiner
Sin

VCU Open (NASAT Mirror): July 8 + 9 2023

Post by Matt Weiner »

VCU will be hosting an open weekend on July 8+9. The main event will be an open mirror of the 2023 NASAT set. All events will take place on the second floor of Harris Hall at our main campus in Richmond (our usual tournament building).

Express interest and form teams here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing Once you have a full team for NASAT, send me an email at [email protected] indicating that your roster is final and you are definitely planning on attending.

VCU is easily accessible by all means of transportation, particularly during the summer when everything is less crowded. For those who are interested in attending and do not drive, there are many options for food and lodging near the campus that are within walking distance or on the bus line. Richmond's Bus Rapid Transit system remains free of charge as of 2023. A taxi or Uber from the airport or the Amtrak station is usually about $15. I will be happy to provide individualized advice in this regard if you get in touch with me.

For NASAT on Saturday the 8th, eligibility is fully open to anyone who has not previously seen the NASAT questions as a player, writer, staffer, coach, etc. There are no restrictions on who may combine with whom to form teams. Current high schoolers may attend as long as they have not seen the questions.

The team fee is $120 with a $5 discount for a fully working buzzer. Minimum fee is $0. As this event is not being conducted through school-based teams, the notion of "staffer discounts" will be somewhat case-by-case, but if you are bringing someone to the tournament in your car to staff we will work something out. You can pay us on or before the day of the tournament via Zelle, Venmo, or check, or by running a card through my Square reader (there will be a surcharge for this to cover Square's processing fee, and you should just link your card to a Venmo account instead, if at all possible). You can also pay after the tournament has concluded if you want to pay an extra $25 late fee for the privilege.

On Sunday the 9th, we will run side events whose identity and fees will be announced soon. Possibilities include any side event announced for this summer that is not already being played by a significant fraction of VCU's attendees at Maryland or Chicago, mirroring the latest ACRONYM, or running some sort of guerilla event (academic, trash, or otherwise depending on demand). If there's a particular tournament you are interested in seeing, you can post here about it.

All participants in the weekend are expected to be familiar with the code of conduct designed to provide a safe and inclusive environment at Quizbowl at VCU events.
Last edited by Matt Weiner on Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Cheynem
Sin

Re: VCU Open (NASAT Mirror): July 8 + 9 2023

Post by Cheynem »

If people are interested, my set on 20th century baseball will be ready by this time.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I think we'll be doing the Cheyne baseball set and ACRONYM (this is ACRONYM 16 not Super ACRONYM). If there's an academic side event that people considering coming are interested in, let me know, fitting in one more short tournament should be doable.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
RexSueciae
Tidus

Post by RexSueciae »

I'll staff baseball if necessary. I'm not over-fond of the sport.
Vasa Clarke

Maggie Walker '14
Virginia '18
William and Mary '21
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

We'll be mirroring Mike Bentley's ARCHIVE tournament as the last part of the weekend lineup.
Matt Weiner
Sit Quietly, Alone
Lulu

Post by Sit Quietly, Alone »

So Saturday will consist of NASAT and Sunday will consist of ARCHIVE, ACRONYM, and Cheyne's baseball set, in some order? I don't mean to sound incredulous; I just wanted to clarify.
Joseph Chambers
Douglas Freeman '22
Virginia '26
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

NASAT and ARCHIVE on Saturday, then ACRONYM and baseball on Sunday, is the plan. Right now the two side events look like they will be single-room shootouts so they should go quickly (and baseball, which probably has the lowest overall interest, is at the end of the schedule, so people who aren't participating can just leave if they want).

As of today, NASAT has 5 teams registered and enough free agents to form a 6th team and play a sensible schedule. ACRONYM has 3 teams, several of which are shorthanded, and 6 free agents, so that will be 4 teams and again that gives us plenty of good schedule options. Registration for both tournaments will remain open until the middle of next week - if we get a surge of interest that exceeds staff signups I'll close things down but right now we can definitely accommodate a few more teams.

I will send a normal informational update for registrants with specific times etc. around Wednesday the 5th.
Matt Weiner
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I sent out the e-mail update this morning with full information for participants in this weekend's tournaments. If you expected to receive this and did not, let me know.
Matt Weiner