2006-2007 Alabama Tournaments

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
geekjohnson
Wakka

2006-2007 Alabama Tournaments

Post by geekjohnson »

Hi,

My name is James Johnson. We here at Alabama are in the process of having our team confirmed at the Capstone. In the next couple of weeks we shall go through all the red tape and become a registered team. We are going to be funded primarly through tournaments. We are hoping to have atleast 2 high-school tournaments during the course of the academic year. It will be, without a doubt, a NAQT tournament. I would sincerely appreciate some help with a few matters, namely what dates would be the best, or I guess what date range per say? It will have to be Saturday. Just leave me some idea of what would be best. Also, I would like to gauge interest in how many teams would be interested, and what is the general fee you have at most NAQT tournaments that you attend, although we do have an idea of costs it would be nice to have something to compare with it. Lastly, what perference would you guys have, if any, to question set? Invitational or A sets? Generally, as most of you know, the A's are very straight-forward and easy to pick up on. Anything you provide me with shall be considered great. Thanks!
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

I didn't know UA had/was establishing a quizbowl team. You guys should try to get a table at Get on Board day so people can see what everything's about...
geekjohnson
Wakka

Post by geekjohnson »

We are now officially a "team." We shall also have a table too.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

For what it's worth, I'm excited about having some good tournaments in Alabama (and at Alabama).

Do NAQT. Please. Barring any terrible conflicts, Brindlee Mountain will bring at least three teams to any event you have.

Tournaments get crazt after Christmas. I would do one in the fall on a Saturday when the Tide has an away game.

If you're going to do one in the spring, really check for conflicts. You don't want to step on ASCA's toes in regards to District, Regional, or State. You also don't want to schedule it the same weekend as Brookwood, UTC, or Vandy. NAQT State is also a tournament you don't want to compete with.

Anyway, looking forward to it.

-Lee

removed the massive underlining - Admin
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

James,
We already talked about this on MSN but I am very sure that Scottsboro will bring 3 teams also and please NAQT. The hard thing will be finding a none football weekend in the fall..
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
QuizBowlRonin
Wakka

Post by QuizBowlRonin »

If you need a moderator, let me know. I'm just up the interstate in Birmingham.
Jason Paik
retired

WashU, UAB, Stanford
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Any dates yet? I'm trying to make a schedule...
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Bump I would like to know due to the same reason
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
Hobodog
Lulu

Post by Hobodog »

Come see us at GT and I would advise against NAQT...ACF is a far more enjoyable and testing format for major college (not JC) competition.
ASFA Tournament Champions 2003,2004,2006
---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

James what is the status of any tournaments at U of A this year?
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
geekjohnson
Wakka

Post by geekjohnson »

We are targeting an early January to mid Feb. date. I am still ironing everything out with the SGA, as right now buzzers are hard enough for us to get, and the money for a startup tourney is going to take a little longer. I apologize for the lateness of the date, as in regards to the academic year. We are doing our best.
jhn31
Wakka

re:

Post by jhn31 »

Remember we're hosting our tournament at Mississippi State on November 11...we invited 21 Alabama schools and got 1 no and so far have heard nothing from the other 20, so we have plenty of spots still open.

[email protected] if you want more info
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

If we didn't have one that was a bit closer we would coming over there but we had a tournament that changed dates and I had promised I would come to that one
geekjohnson
Wakka

Post by geekjohnson »

OK Alabama coaches. I am looking at a target date for an NAQT tournament on either Jan. 5 or 6 or Jan. 12 or 13. This is all tenative. I need some feedback though. Thanks.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

FRIDAY!!!! FRIDAY!!! FRIDAY!!!

BTW, did I mention FRIDAY!

Friday tournaments are the best.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
geekjohnson
Wakka

Post by geekjohnson »

Ok Lee, lol, that sounds fine.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Yes we need a Friday tournament
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Hey James,
When do you think that you guys will make a decision on the date. I need to get the paperwork in so I can make this an overnighter because I really would rather do that, than drive the 3 hours
DZ_LAMP
Lulu

Post by DZ_LAMP »

A tournament on Jan 12 or 13 would be awesome because LAMP is hosting its tournament on Jan 6. Having it on this date would mean that LAMP could go and possibly other teams who might have issues about 2 tournaments in 2 days.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Is this tournament gonna happen?
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

I don't think it is Lee and I don't know if I could get it approved to go now due to the holidays.. I wish it would though...
geekjohnson
Wakka

Post by geekjohnson »

Ok guys. I am sorry that the tournament for last semester did not materialize, in any form. But we now have a more stronger base here at UA, which our administration now supports. Which of these dates, for an NAQT tourney, works best for you guys, that you know of: any Saturday in August, Sept. 8th, Oct. 13, Oct. 27th? We are trying to get everything set as soon as possible, to avoid logistical probelsm, like last year. Please get back to me here, or either at [email protected]
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

James,
I wouldn't mind do an early tournament say in August at UA or the 27th of Oct would be okay I think also