2023 UMN Open Weekend (COOT + Super ACRONYM 4 + Side Events)

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).
BenWeiner27
Wakka

2023 UMN Open Weekend (COOT + Super ACRONYM 4 + Side Events)

Post by BenWeiner27 »

The University of Minnesota Quizbowl team, in cooperation with Play Quiz Bowl, is excited to announce an open weekend of quizbowl on Saturday and Sunday August 19th-20th, 2023. All events will be held in Blegen Hall on the West Bank of the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities campus. I, Ben Weiner, and Erik Nelson will be the tournament directors of the weekend.

Schedule
Saturday's main event will be the 2023 COOT set, an open difficulty housewrite from the Oxford and Cambridge Quiz Societies. More information about the set can be found here.

Sunday's main event will be the premiere of Super ACRONYM 4, the latest summer open popular culture set from the Play Quiz Bowl team. More information about the set can be found here.

Both Saturday and Sunday will feature numerous side-events supporting the main events. Side events we are tentatively planning on running are: Mike Cheyne's baseball set, Kenji Shimizu's Pokémon set KYOGRE, and a special Play Quiz Bowl set that "is going to have something for everyone but it's also going to be very weird, and players won't know exactly what it is until it starts".

We have space in the schedule for another 1-2 smaller side events so if there are side-events that people specifically want to see at this event, please do let us know and we will do our best to accommodate people's wishes on that front.

Payment
COOT will cost $30/player and Super ACRONYM 4 will cost $25/player. Side-events will have variable entry fees that will be announced closer to the event. Specific payment details will follow in the coming weeks.

Team Formation
A team formation and free agent sign-up sheet for both COOT and Super ACRONYM 4 can be found here. Both tournaments have a tentative field cap of 12 teams. Sign-up sheets for side events will be made available closer to the event once the full lineup has been finalized.

Minor Chaperone Policy
Beginning in Fall of 2020, the University of Minnesota is requiring that all minors be accompanied by a chaperone to all on-campus events. As a result, each minor attending any tournaments as part of the open weekend is required to have a chaperone of some capacity at this tournament. Players who are both under 18 years of age and do not have an adult chaperone with them will not be allowed to play this tournament.

Code of Conduct
All players, staffers, and spectators attending the COOT mirror, Super ACRONYM 4, or any other event part of the open weekend will be required to abide by the UMN Quizbowl code of conduct. Participants who feel that a fellow competitor, staffer, or spectator is not following the code of conduct should fill out the UMN Quizbowl misconduct reporting form.

Feel free to contact suacb AT umn DOT edu for any concerns that you may have. We hope to see you in August!
Last edited by BenWeiner27 on Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ben Weiner
Wayzata '20
Minnesota '24
VP of Tournament Direction, PACE
Cheynem
Sin

Re: 2023 UMN Open Weekend (COOT + Super ACRONYM 4 + Side Events)

Post by Cheynem »

I am not sure if there is room, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Gorilla Film or Jordan's Wikipedia set here. However, I also do not know if people in the area plan on playing these events elsewhere (and I'm told at least some of them will have online mirrors).

I'm looking for teams for these events. I would do especially well at the baseball event!
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Naveed and I are looking for teammates for Super ACRONYM, particularly if you know modern music or video games.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

BenWeiner27
Wakka

Post by BenWeiner27 »

The weekend schedule has been preliminarily set and will be as follows:

Saturday: COOT, Wikipedia, Planes Trains and Automobiles
Sunday: Super ACRONYM 4, KYOGRE/Mike Cheyne Baseball, Guerilla Film

KYOGRE and Mike Cheyne's baseball set are being run at the same time due to a lack of people interested in both events. We will play as many packets as we can from Guerilla film but there are a lot so I can't promise that all packets will be played. The Play Quiz Bowl secret set has been postponed due to time constraints.

The UMN Open Weekend sign up sheet has been updated with tabs for each of the side events. The events may be conducted as shootouts, doubles, triples, or team events depending on the number of interested individuals and the number of available staffers. For the sake of scheduling now, we are operating under the assumption that all events will be run as doubles events.
Ben Weiner
Wayzata '20
Minnesota '24
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I suspect Guerrilla Film might work best as a shootout, but we can play things by ear.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

cottonmouth
Kimahri

Post by cottonmouth »

Where can I find more info about Guerrilla Film?
Lucas Sun
Wayzata '15
Minnesota '19
Wayzata High School Head Coach
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

For reference, as far as I know, these are the prices for the events (side events could be different):

COOT: $30 a player
WIKIPEDIA: $5 a player
PTA: $10 a player, I think
KYOGRE: $10 a player
BASEBALL: $10 a player
SUPER ACRONYM: $25 a player
GORILLA FILM: Free, donations encouraged
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Coelacanth
Rikku

Post by Coelacanth »

At the risk of being laughed out of the forum, is it possible to know roughly when the various events will be starting/ending?

I have some free time on Saturday and might want to float past Blegen Hall.
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More, I cannot say.
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

Post by Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!! »

cottonmouth wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:21 pm Where can I find more info about Guerrilla Film?
If you want a gorilla film, check this link.

If you want Guerrilla Film details, check this link.
Ganon Evans
Misconduct Representative
ACF President, PACE VP of Editing, MOQBA
Francis Howell High School 2018, University of Iowa 2021
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Cheynem wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:18 pm I suspect Guerrilla Film might work best as a shootout, but we can play things by ear.
Most of the side events will probably work best as shootouts, tbh, especially the smaller ones.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I think we should combine baseball and Pokemon and force each team to have a baseball and Pokemon player.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

BenWeiner27
Wakka

Post by BenWeiner27 »

Coelacanth wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:53 pm At the risk of being laughed out of the forum, is it possible to know roughly when the various events will be starting/ending?

I have some free time on Saturday and might want to float past Blegen Hall.
Wikipedia will probably begin around 6:00p and run until 9:00p or so. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles will be run soon after that.
Ben Weiner
Wayzata '20
Minnesota '24
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is happening tomorrow at lunch due to QBOWLOSM running long. We'll shoot out the packets.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
BenWeiner27
Wakka

Post by BenWeiner27 »

A recap of Saturday's events:

BHSU swept the field at COOT, going a perfect 10-0 to win the tournament. Full stats can be found here.

At QBOWLOSM, Mike/Naveed and Rob/Andrew both went 9-1 to split the title. Full stats will be uploaded when I get a second to take care of it this weekend.
Ben Weiner
Wayzata '20
Minnesota '24
BenWeiner27
Wakka

Post by BenWeiner27 »

Mentally and Physically Tough Players Who Play Smart & Love to Compete defeated The Bus Who Couldn't Slow Down in an advantaged final to win the premiere of Super ACRONYM 4! Full stats for the tournament can be found here.

Naveed Chowdhury won Mike Cheyne's baseball set by a lot, and although we weren't keeping score in the KYOGRE room, I can confidently say that Rob Carson does in fact know Pokémon very well. After that we played an assorted group of Guerilla Film packets which had some really fun and interesting questions. Lastly, earlier in the day we were able to fit in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles and I can confidently say that Naveed also won. All of the sets were a joy to read/hear/play and thank you to their creators for letting us use them.

That's a wrap on the 2023 UMN Open Weekend, we hope everyone who showed up had fun!
Ben Weiner
Wayzata '20
Minnesota '24
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Thanks for running the tournaments. This was a lot of fun and I loved that we got as much quizbowl as possible into the weekend.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Agreed with Mike--this was a blast, thank you for running everything and cramming in as many events as possible! Special thanks to Nicholas Tunks for reading the entire Pokémon event with, despite his fears to the contrary, admirable pronunciation.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Yes, thank you to everyone for a fun weekend!
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
BenWeiner27
Wakka

Post by BenWeiner27 »

BenWeiner27 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:18 am At QBOWLOSM, Mike/Naveed and Rob/Andrew both went 9-1 to split the title. Full stats will be uploaded when I get a second to take care of it this weekend.
Stats are now up for this event and can be found here.
Ben Weiner
Wayzata '20
Minnesota '24