2023 Maryland Summer Open (July 22-23)

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).
superdooku
Lulu

2023 Maryland Summer Open (July 22-23)

Post by superdooku »

Hi Everyone, I'm pleased to announce that Maryland will be hosting a summer open weekend in College Park the weekend of July 22nd and 23rd.

Schedule
Saturday's main event (starting at 9am) will be the Cambridge Oxford Open Tournament (COOT). We will then run Planet of the Guerillas, a guerilla-style film tournament, after the main event.
Sunday will consist of Jordan Boyd-Graber's Human Computer Tournament (starting at 9am) and Jordan Brownstein's Questions Based on Wikipedia links Ophir sent me (QBOWLOSM) (starting at 2pm).

For now, each event will have a "traditional" team formation system, so I've made a spreadsheet here with separate tabs for each event. If you have any opinions on format feel free to post them here.

Location and Time
This tournament will be held in the new (and very nice) Iribe cs building. In the unlikely event that we have to go elsewhere, we'll squat in historic Jimenez Hall. Both days will start at 9am, and I'll try not to let things go too late on Sunday.

Fees
COOT: $120 per team
$-10 buzzer discount

QBOWLOSM: $15 per person

Planet of the Guerillas: Packet submissions are no longer mandatory, but we're asking any team that has not submitted a packet to donate $10 to a charity of their choice (as requested by the set organizers).

I'm very excited for this open to happen. Feel free to email me at [email protected] or dm me on discord with any questions/comments. If you are interested in staffing at any point during the weekend, please let me know.
Last edited by superdooku on Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
Munir Siddiqui
Hinsdale Central '20
Maryland '24
superdooku
Lulu

Re: 2023 Maryland Summer Open (July 22-23)

Post by superdooku »

Hi everyone, we are now less than 3 weeks away from this tournament so it's time I provide some updates.

This tournament will now be co-located with the Human Computer Tournament run by UMD Professor Jordan Boyd-Graber (more information on that can be found here). Since we are co-locating, I am in the process of trying to reserve rooms in the new (and very nice) Iribe cs building. Provided this doesn't happen we will just play in (historic) Jimenez Hall as usual.

I will update the main post as well, but the current schedule for the weekend is as follows:

Saturday
COOT: Starts at 9am
Planet of the Guerillas: In the afternoon/evening when COOT ends

Sunday
Human Computer Tournament: Starts at 9am, should end at around noon
QBOWLOSM: Starts at 2pm

As always this is subject to change and I will provide updates accordingly

Lastly, a general reminder to sign up to play/staff this tournament. I would also encourage free agents to start forming teams so we have a better idea of field size. I will begin to reach out to confirm team attendance and assign free agents accordingly about a week before the tournament. Feel free to contact me with questions/comments/concerns about anything.
Munir Siddiqui
Hinsdale Central '20
Maryland '24
superdooku
Lulu

Post by superdooku »

I have confirmed room reservations in the Iribe Building, I'll include parking info in the logistics email (to be sent in ~a week). I will start reaching out to teams to confirm attendance and consolidate free agents this weekend, so if you have not already indicated your interest on the spreadsheet please do so.

I could also use some more staff for the weekend, especially for the side events. Based on the number of interested players I think it makes sense to split into doubles, but I need more staff to be able to do this. Please contact me if you are willing/able to staff any events this weekend or have any other questions.
Munir Siddiqui
Hinsdale Central '20
Maryland '24
Sam
Rikku

Post by Sam »

superdooku wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:47 am Saturday
Do you have an estimate of when Guerillas will start, for those who will not be playing the main event?
Sam Bailey
Minnesota '21
Chicago '13
superdooku
Lulu

Post by superdooku »

Sam wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:10 pm
superdooku wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:47 am Saturday
Do you have an estimate of when Guerillas will start, for those who will not be playing the main event?
Likely around 5:30 or 6pm. I can give a more definitive time closer to the event
Munir Siddiqui
Hinsdale Central '20
Maryland '24
superdooku
Lulu

Post by superdooku »

The logistics email for this event has been sent out, if you are playing and did not receive it let me know. I still could use 1-2 more staffers on Saturday, so if you are willing/able and are in the DC area please contact me.
Munir Siddiqui
Hinsdale Central '20
Maryland '24
superdooku
Lulu

Post by superdooku »

I've been informed that the last 4 stops on the green line of the DC metro (which includes the one for College Park) are closed this weekend for maintenance. There is a free shuttle service to get to these stops, but if you plan on taking the metro to come to play this weekend, please be sure to budget extra time. More information can be found here: https://wmata.com/service/status/details/weekend.cfm
Munir Siddiqui
Hinsdale Central '20
Maryland '24
superdooku
Lulu

Post by superdooku »

If you are coming for Planet of the Guerillas, we are planning to start at around 6:30.
Munir Siddiqui
Hinsdale Central '20
Maryland '24
AGoodMan
Rikku

Post by AGoodMan »

Random, but if anyone is driving up to UMD from within DC tomorrow for Jordan’s side event, could I hitch a ride with them? I’m also willing to split Ubers.
Jon Suh
Wheaton Warrenville South High School '16
Harvard '20
superdooku
Lulu

Post by superdooku »

This event happened. Thanks to everyone who played, I hope you all had a good time! Stats for COOT and Planet of the Guerillas can be found here, I need to compile the stats for QBOWLOSM, but once I do I will post those as well.

Congrats to the winners of each event this weekend:
COOT: Much aDDU-DU DDU-DU about nothing (Matt Bollinger, Andrew Wang, Earthflax GeologyBuzzer, and Sam Bailey)
Planet of the Guerillas: I’m Werner Herzog, and welcome to Jackass (Jonathan Magin and Sam Bailey)
Human Computer Tournament: Matt Weiner, Victor Savage, Sine Anderson, and Aaron Lichtig
QBOWLOSM: Three men in a boat, to say nothing of my boss the dog (Vishwa Shanmugam, Connor Mayers, Andrew Wang, Arya Karthik, and Caleb Kendrick)

Special thanks to Matt Weiner and others for providing buzzers, and to all of the various staffers (Victor Savage, Caleb Kendrick, David Song, Jakob Boeye, Alex Echikson, Arya Karthik, Kevin Jiang, Peter Schmidt, and Earthflax GeologyBuzzer) who helped make this tournament run as smoothly as it did.
Munir Siddiqui
Hinsdale Central '20
Maryland '24
superdooku
Lulu

Post by superdooku »

All stats should now be uploaded, let me know if there are any issues. Thanks again to all the players and staff for a great weekend!
Munir Siddiqui
Hinsdale Central '20
Maryland '24