COLONIAL @ CO (8/6)

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).
Shorts are comfy and easy to wear
Lulu

COLONIAL @ CO (8/6)

Post by Shorts are comfy and easy to wear »

This is the official announcement for the COLONIAL mirror to be held CO weekend (Sunday 8/6). Information about the set can be found here: viewtopic.php?t=26276

For the time being, we will say that this will be run as doubles, but it could shift to quads or a shootout depending on interest. Here's the team formation spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Alex Fregeau
UIUC 2016 Linguistics
Lewis Univeristy 2022 Secondary Education
Lulu

Re: COLONIAL @ CO (8/6)

We're a week out from the event and we happen to be at a workable number of teams for our five packets, so "registration" is now closed. You are welcome to add your name to the waitlist on the sign up sheet to replace someone who drops. If you have not yet found a partner, please do so and indicate it on the signup sheet. If you don't, I will form pairs semi-arbitrarily.

It will be $10 per person to play.

EDIT: Disregard this, it is no longer current
Last edited by Shorts are comfy and easy to wear on Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Fregeau
UIUC 2016 Linguistics
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

I'm confused. Are you closing registration after only three teams have registered? Or is the spreadsheet not updated?
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
Lulu

I’m assuming that the Free Agents are committing to playing, but have just not yet found a partner.

EDIT: Disregard this, it is no longer current
Last edited by Shorts are comfy and easy to wear on Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Fregeau
UIUC 2016 Linguistics
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul
Rikku

Post by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul »

If I'm understanding correctly, those of us on the FA list are counted as "in the field," just without a partner right now? I put myself on the waitlist (I was on the FA list before and still am) because I thought the initial post meant only the four duos currently signed up were in the field.
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
Lulu

Sorry for the confusion. To make the most of the set and community interest, I'm implementing the following:

1. Because the set is only five packets, the most viable format I can think of is 8 teams split into two brackets of four for three round prelims into two round playoffs.

2. To fit everyone who's expressed interest in playing into the 8 team format, teams will expand up to four players. To be clear, all 24 people currently anywhere on the sheet can now play, and we now have space for eight more. If more than 32 people express interest, the waitlist will return.

If you want to choose your teammates, please do so before this Friday 8/4. It will still be $10 to play.

Unless something catastrophic happens or there's some issue with the format I didn't realize, this should not change again. Once again, I apologize for the confusion.
Alex Fregeau
UIUC 2016 Linguistics
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

Shorts are comfy and easy to wear wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:56 am 1. Because the set is only five packets, the most viable format I can think of is 8 teams split into two brackets of four for three round prelims into two round playoffs.
Some suggestions for tournaments with more teams. You don't have to take these, but I think they're at least reasonable.

12: four groups of 3 paired A/B and C/D so that each team plays 3 prelim games against the three teams in the other paired bracket. split playoffs 4/4/4 and finish the round robins with one game carried over.

16: four groups of 4 into four single-elimination playoff brackets (with consolation games).

More than 16: some form of card system. Works best with exactly 32.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Lulu

We'll start at 8:30 on Sunday. I'll let you know tomorrow in which room. I'll also place the free agents onto teams with the goal of keeping them somewhat balanced.

I could use at least one more staffer, maybe more, and preferably also someone who is willing to do stats. The stats role can be done with or without moderating. I'll pay staffers $20 for their time. Please email me at [email protected] if you want to help me out.
Alex Fregeau
UIUC 2016 Linguistics
Lulu

We'll have a very brief meeting at 8:30 in M152 before starting. See you soon and thanks for playing!
Alex Fregeau
UIUC 2016 Linguistics
Lulu

I've assigned the free agents to teams. So that I can finalize the schedule, please don't make any more changes.
Alex Fregeau
UIUC 2016 Linguistics
Lulu

Alex Fregeau
UIUC 2016 Linguistics
Lulu

A blue Hydro Flask water bottle was found in M166. It's now in L170 with Young Fenimore Lee.
Alex Fregeau
UIUC 2016 Linguistics
Lulu

Thank you to everyone who staffed and played this set today. I hope you all enjoyed!

Congrats to Returning the Columbian Exchange (Tracy Mirkin, Taylor Harvey, and Jaskaran Singh) for winning. Here are the stats: https://stats.neg5.org/t/flycyUEC3/colo ... -standings

Bigger thanks to Jason Golfinos and Kevin Park who helped write this set. They wrote the non-history questions and brought awesome concepts and great clues. It was a pleasure to work with them.
Alex Fregeau
UIUC 2016 Linguistics