Canadian Novice at Cornell (4/16/2023)

Old college threads.
nyzhang
Lulu

Canadian Novice at Cornell (4/16/2023)

Post by nyzhang »

I am pleased to announce Cornell University will host a mirror of the Canadian circuit's spring novice set on Sunday, April 16, 2023. This tournament is intended for teams and players newer to collegiate quiz bowl, details about the set can be found here viewtopic.php?t=26114. The field has a cap of 12 teams but is subject to expansion given enough staffers and buzzers. I (Nathan Zhang) will be directing this tournament. Signups will close a week before the tournament.

Fees and Payment
Base Fee: $80
-$30 for teams new to quiz bowl (defined as having not played a tournament in the 2020-21 or 2021-22 seasons)
-$15 per trained staffer with a functioning laptop
-$10 per working buzzer set with at least 8 working buzzers
-$10 per 200 miles traveled one-way. Distances are decided via Google Maps.
Minimum Fee: $50

Eligibility
This tournament is intended for players with no or very little quiz bowl experience. Players with extensive quiz bowl experience are encouraged to help staff. You are not eligible for this tournament if you meet any of the following criteria:

- You have ever scored more than 60 points per game at a quiz bowl tournament (excluding middle school tournaments).
- You have made the playoffs at HSNCT or top 32 at NSC.
- You have played ICT (DI or DII) or ACF Nationals.

If you meet one or more of these criteria but would like an exemption to play, email [email protected]

Logistics
The tournament will be held in Uris Hall. An email with additional logistics will be sent out to teams when signups close.

Registration
Please email me at [email protected] to register, and include in your email the number of teams you plan to bring, the projected rosters for each team (if available), and the number of buzzers and staff you will be bringing.
Nathan Zhang
NCSSM '2021 Cornell '2025