Canadian Novice @ ISU (15 April 2023)

Old college threads.
CPiGuy
Auron

Canadian Novice @ ISU (15 April 2023)

Post by CPiGuy »

I am pleased to announce that Iowa State University Quizbowl will be hosting a mirror of Canadian Novice on Saturday, April 15th, 2023. I will be directing the tournament.

Eligibility

This is a closed collegiate tournament. Teams must represent a single school.

This is a novice tournament. Players who meet any of the following criteria must seek permission from the tournament director (me) in order to play:
  1. Have scored 60PPG or higher at a quizbowl tournament
  2. Have made the playoffs at HSNCT or top 32 at NSC
  3. Have played ICT (either division) or ACF Nationals
Just because you meet one or more of these criteria does not mean you will not be able to play -- there are certainly players who have done these things who are "novices" by any reasonable definition. Do not be afraid to reach out to me if there are players on your team who meet these criteria and would like to play.

Fees
Base fee: $90 per team.
Buzzer discount: $5 per functioning buzzer set.
Staff discount: $10 per team-provided staffer. Staffers should bring a laptop; packets will be distributed and score kept electronically.
New program discount: -$15 if your school has not attended a pyramidal collegiate quizbowl tournament since before September 2021.

Schedule and Logistics
The tournament will take place in Carver Hall at ISU. Parking is free in most campus lots on weekends; there are numerous parking lots close to Carver.
Check-in will start at 8:30; we would like to conclude the opening meeting and start playing at 9am. The schedule is TBD based on the number of teams but we plan to guarantee every team nine rounds.

Registration
You can register by filling out this form.
We have set an initial field cap of 12, which will be raised as long as staff numbers permit. Our maximum field cap is 16.

If you have any questions about the tournament feel free to contact me. Otherwise, we hope to see you in Ames on April 15th!
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database