black history month packet reading tonight!

All announcements for open practices, online or in-person scrimmages, the playing of online packets, and online or in-person playtesting goes in this forum. (Official Skype/Discord tournaments should still be announced in the relevant tournament announcement forums.)
Nurostep
Lulu

black history month packet reading tonight!

Post by Nurostep »

copied from a post in many a discord server:

hi everyone!! here to announce an idea i’ve been planning for a few weeks:

since february is bhm, i will be writing a packet of 24/24 content centered on Black content (although, similarly to joy’s naswm set, there will still probably be content that is not solely Black-core in order to still make it somewhat accessible). the difficulty is yet to be determined, but it is essentially a vanity packet so it will probably be equivalent to at least 3 dots, i’d guess. the goal is extracanonical content that is generally still important outside of quizbowl combined with canonical content for playability (and because there are still Black people represented in quizbowl!). my goal is to start writing tomorrow (february 1st) and essentially write one cycle a day, and then to read the packet at ~10 pm central time on febraury 24th, tentatively (if anything gets in the way of writing i may push it back a couple days, but it will be read no later than february 28th).

i am planning the distribution to be pretty common macf, as follows:
5/5 history (2/2 am, 1/1 euro, 2/2 world)
4/4 sci (1/1 bio, 1/1 chem, 1/1 physics, 1/1 osci)
5/5 lit (1/1 long fic, 1/1 short fic, 1/1 drama, 1/1 poetry, 1/1 writer’s choice)
4/4 fa (1/1 vfa, 1/1 afa, 1/1 ofa, 1/1 writer’s choice)
3/3 rmpss (2/2 “belief,” 1/1 “thought”)
1/1 pop culture
1/1 other academic
1/1 writer’s choice (a grab bag of whatever i feel like writing from the categories above)

i can promise u that whatever difficulty it does end up being it will not be perfectly consistent, as i am a single writer and the goal is to include extracanonical topics :)

I will be reading this packet in the main quizbowl server at ~9:45 pm central tonight, 2/27!
All of our buzzes can become powers if we have the courage to neg.
Sinecio Morales
(Rockford) Auburn HS '23
Johns Hopkins University '27