2023 Canadian Novice @ Toronto (2023-03-04)

Old college threads.
KawaiiPotato
Kimahri

2023 Canadian Novice @ Toronto (2023-03-04)

Post by KawaiiPotato »

I am honoured to announce that the University of Toronto will be hosting 2023 Canadian Novice on March 4th, 2023. I, Joey Sun, will be directing this tournament. Information regarding the set can be found at viewtopic.php?p=390844#p390844.

The tournament will take place in person, with the specific building still to be determined. The tournament will begin at 9:00 A.M., with the opening meeting commencing at 8:45 A.M..

Eligibility
This is a closed tournament, thus only members of a degree-granting institution may play and must play with those from the same institution.

This tournament is intended for those less experienced in quizbowl; you are ineligible if any of the follow apply to you:
  • You have ever scored more than 40 points per game at a quizbowl tournament (excluding middle school tournaments).
  • You have made the playoffs at HSNCT or top 32 at NSC.
  • You have played on a team that qualified for or played at ICT (DI or DII) or ACF Nationals.
If you think you are the intended audience for this tournament but break one of the eligibility rules, you may apply for an exemption by contacting the TD.

Please note that these eligibility requirements are stricter than the original eligibility requirements for this tournament. I also reserve the right to
restrict anyone from playing based on their prior performances.

Registration
Register by sending an email to jyisun0 [AT] gmail [DOT] com to register your institution’s team(s). In addition, please also CC uoftquizbowl [AT] gmail [DOT] com and include Canadian Novice in the subject line.

The tentative field cap is 8 teams.

Please register by 11:59 P.M., March 1st, 2023.

Fees
All fees are listed in CAD

Base Fee: $80
  • Staff Discount: -$10 for each staffer with a laptop and charger
  • New to Quizbowl Discount: -$15 for each team from a school that has not attended any tournaments since the 2021~2022 school year
  • Shorthanded Discount: -$15 for each team consisting of 2 or fewer players
  • Buzzer Discount: -$10 for each functional buzzer set
  • Anti-Discount: +$40 for promising to bring a buzzer set and failing to bring one (with exceptions to extenuating circumstances)
Minimum fee per team is $40

Payment can be made to the University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club by e-transferring uoftquizbowl [AT] gmail [DOT] com. Please indicate that payment is for Canadian Novice in your e-transfer message.

Mask Policy
As per club policy, we will be requiring that masks be worn at all times except when eating, drinking, or actively moderating a round.

Please direct any questions to me via email at jyisun0 [AT] gmail [DOT] com and CC uoftquizbowl [AT] gmail [DOT] com.
Joey Sun
University of Toronto '25