DMA (HS Regs+/Nats- set) open for mirrors

This is the only forum where you should post and discuss offers to have your tournament set hosted at other locations.
Subotai the Valiant, Final Dog of War
Wakka

DMA (HS Regs+/Nats- set) open for mirrors

Post by Subotai the Valiant, Final Dog of War »

I'm excited to announce Daniel Ma's Academia (DMA), a high school regular plus set to be released in mid-February 2023 and open for mirrors throughout the spring and following fall. The set will have 12 packets, each consisting of 21 power-marked tossups and 21 bonuses. Each tossup will be 5-6 lines long and each full bonus at most 8 lines, in 10 point Times New Roman font.

This set is intended to be a set that both serves as a tournament accessible to all teams and aids teams in preparing for nationals, so it will include many answerlines within Quiz Bowl’s traditional “canon” as well as questions focusing on knowledge more likely acquired outside of the game itself. Less experienced players will still be able to get questions and hopefully be inspired to learn about something within the great variety of content in this set, as the set is geared to minimize the advantages gained from "studying canon" over general knowledge and will endeavor to have most answerlines accessible to a broad audience.

The set is also geared towards lessening trends within the traditional distribution by emphasizing topics that are usually relatively neglected. Of special note, the traditional quiz bowl categories will be defined broadly to allow for questions that emphasize the unity of all knowledge and the connections between different categories.

Each packet will have the following distribution:

4/4 Literature
> 1/1 American
> 1/1 British (including Irish, if written in English)
> 1/1 European (including Russian)
> 1/1 World and Ancient/Classical
4/4 History
> 1/1 American
> 1.5/1.5 European
> 1.5/1.5 World (including ancient and cross-regional)
4/4 Science
> 1/1 Biology
> 1/1 Chemistry
> 1/1 Physics
> 0.5/0.5 Mathematics/Computer Science (entirely non-computational)
> 0.5/0.5 Astronomy/Cosmology and Earth Sciences
3/3 Fine Arts
> 1/1 Painting and Sculpture
> 0.5/0.5 Other Visual (including Architecture, Photography, Film, Dance, Performance, Decorative, and Design)
> 1/1 Classical Music
> 0.5/0.5 Other Auditory (including Opera, Jazz, Musicals, and "World" Music)
3.5/3.5 RMPSS
> 1/1 Religion and Bible
> 1/1 Mythology, Legends, and Culture
> 1/1 Social Science (including sufficiently theoretical literary criticism, archaeology, etc.)
> 0.5/0.5 Philosophy
1.5/1.5 Geography (including theoretical physical and human geography)

1/1 Tiebreaker (literature, history, or science)

As of now, I am writing and editing this set alone, but I will likely take on more writers if it seems necessary as the set gets closer to completion. While writing the set, I have been and will continue simultaneously receiving comments and playtesting feedback on all questions from a team of collegiate players highly experienced in the high school game. I will also have third parties read through the set as a whole before final release to ensure highest quality. I have over five years of experience writing questions of this difficulty, have been a major writer and head editor/major section editor for multiple highly-praised high school sets, including 2020 LONE STAR and 2021 BHSAT, and have been hired to edit well-received sections for multiple other tournaments.

Fees
The mirror fee is $20 per attending team. All we ask is that hosts not alter question content in any way without asking first, nor release any information about questions to the public before it is EXPLICITLY ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM.

Please reply below and/or email me at [email protected] to request a mirror, and I will contact you following that.
Last edited by Subotai the Valiant, Final Dog of War on Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Daniel, Hunter College High School '19, Yale '23
DragonSM
Lulu

Re: DMA (HS Regs+/Nats- set) open for mirrors

Post by DragonSM »

Is there any plan to do any sort of "mainsite" mirror at Yale?
Sam Macchi (They/Them)

Belmont High School '23
Vassar College '27
Wakka

DragonSM wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:09 pm Is there any plan to do any sort of "mainsite" mirror at Yale?
Yes! The date is still being determined to avoid scheduling conflicts
Wakka

MIRRORS
Northeast: Charter Cup at Yale (3/11/23)
Arizona: ASU (4/22/23)
Southern California: SoCal State Championship, UCSD (5/20/23)
NYC: East Brunswick?
California: California Cup 3 (3/2/24)
Last edited by Subotai the Valiant, Final Dog of War on Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Wakka

A reminder that DMA is open to mirrors for the fall of 2023! It is at the ideal difficulty for premier regional tournaments aiming to draw all of the best teams from a wider geographic area.
Wakka

A discussion server is out for those who have played the set. Mirrors are still available!
Wakka

As the second semester approaches, I'd like to remind all that DMA will be open for mirrors for only a few more months! It's the ideal difficulty for all those teams out there seeking some ramp-up tournaments (not as hard as nationals, but a fair amount of the way there) as nationals preparation. The set is still open to mirrors in almost all regions.
Wakka

Mirrors are still ongoing! Just received word that the upcoming California Cup (3/2) will be using DMA, and the college mirror at UMD (3/9, viewtopic.php?t=27757) will allow high school teams to attend. Attend your local DMA mirror for the set closest to a nationals experience, and please reach out if you're interested in a mirror in your region.