Buzzword: A New Online Competition from NAQT (new specials and practice events!)

All announcements for open practices, online or in-person scrimmages, the playing of online packets, and online or in-person playtesting goes in this forum. (Official Skype/Discord tournaments should still be announced in the relevant tournament announcement forums.)
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Buzzword: A New Online Competition from NAQT (new specials and practice events!)

Post by Important Bird Area »

(cross-posted from the announcement forums)
naqt.com wrote:What is Buzzword?

Buzzword is an exciting new online game of knowledge and recall from NAQT. Challenge the depth and breadth of your knowledge in Buzzword's engaging, audio-based format and compare your results with players at your level from around the world!

Buzzword is played on all-new questions by NAQT. These questions are never reused within Buzzword or any other competition.

How does a Buzzword game work?

When you’re ready, you’ll hear an audio recording of a question. There will be multiple clues that all point to the same answer, arranged from most difficult to easiest—in other words, an ordinary quiz bowl tossup question.

As soon as you know the answer, buzz in by pressing the button. The audio file will stop and you’ll be able to enter your answer. If your answer is correct, you’ll receive 10 points plus up to 10 additional points depending on how early in the question you buzzed. If you get to the end of the question, you might as well take a guess; there is no penalty for wrong answers.

At the end of the game, you’ll see your score. Each game is available for a week, so keep checking the standings to see how your score holds up against the competition. You’ll be able to dig into rich statistics showing scoring statistics for each question, who buzzed fastest, who’s performing the best in each category, and more.

New buzzword games will be available regularly—weekly, for now—and will results will be tracked over eight-week seasons.

Who can play Buzzword?

Players play Buzzword in one of four divisions based on their school enrollment status:

Middle School, for players who are eligible under the NAQT Middle School Eligibility Rules.

High School, for players who are eligible under the NAQT High School Eligibility Rules and are not eligible under the NAQT Middle School Eligibility Rules (i.e., middle schoolers cannot “play up”).

College, for players who are eligible under the NAQT Collegiate Eligibility Rules (including community college students and graduate students) and are not eligible under the NAQT Middle School Eligibility Rules nor the NAQT High School Eligibility Rules.

Open, for players who are not eligible for any of the other three divisions.

Although the first three divisions require enrollment in a school or homeschool for eligibility, Buzzword is not a school-based competition and players do not represent their schools.

Buzzword is available at three difficulty levels: Level A (easiest), Level B, and Level C (hardest).

You can play Buzzword at any combination of division and difficulty, including multiple difficulty levels (but not multiple divisions, regardless of education/enrollment status).

Buzzword requires an NAQT website account, and is therefore limited to players who are at least 13 years old.

How are Buzzword events structured?

Buzzword is played in eight-week seasons. You can start playing at any point in a season.

Each season, there will be one 50-question game per week (at each difficulty level).

In Level A (easiest), each game starts Thursday and runs through Sunday; players can play any time in that range. Players should review results (and, if necessary, lodge protests) on Tuesday, and results will be finalized (and winners announced) Wednesday.

In Level B (middle), each game starts Friday and runs through Monday; players can play any time in that range. Players should review results (and, if necessary, lodge protests) on Wednesday, and results will be finalized (and winners announced) Thursday.

In Level C (hardest), each game starts Saturday and runs through Tuesday; players can play any time in that range. Players should review results (and, if necessary, lodge protests) on Thursday, and results will be finalized (and winners announced) Friday.

All of the gameplay days are based on midnight Central time (with daylight saving time when applicable). For example, if you’re registered to play a Level A game and you’re in the Pacific time zone, you can play starting at 10 p.m. Wednesday (because that’s midnight Wednesday Central time) and you must finish playing by Sunday night at 10 p.m. (because that’s the midnight that ends Sunday in Central time).

After each game (week), players will be ranked overall, by region, by grade (except in the Open Division), and (after the first Buzzword season) among new players (players who had not competed in that division before).

After each season, players’ five best scores will be used to rank them in the same ways. Players will also be ranked in individual subject areas (based on all questions, not just their five best games).

How much does Buzzword cost?

Each game (week) costs $5, or $35 for an eight-game season.

Not sure if you’re ready for that kind of commitment? Try a sample game.

What do I need?

Most computers and mobile devices can play Buzzword! You’ll need speakers or headphones to hear the questions, and you’ll need to be able to type answers.

Am I allowed to look things up?

Buzzword is about testing your knowledge and recall, not your search-engine skills. You may not use any resources outside of your brain (such as reference material or other people).

What else should I know about Buzzword?

We wrote up some frequently asked questions and answers (well, questions we guessed would be frequently asked).
Full details are here. Registration is now open!
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

Re: Buzzword: A New Online Competition from NAQT

We're pleased to announce a special Buzzword event for Memorial Day weekend:
naqt.com wrote:This Buzzword special event includes two games of 50 HSNCT-difficulty tossups each. The first game will be available Friday, May 22 and Saturday, May 23, 2020; the second game will be available Sunday, May 24 and Monday, May 25, 2020. Awards will be given for each of the two games individually, as well as for players’ cumulative scores over both games.

Like all Buzzword competitions at this time, this is an individual competition (not a team competition) with Middle School, High School, College, and Open Divisions. Each game costs $5.
Register here!
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

Re: Buzzword: A New Online Competition from NAQT

Season 2 of Buzzword starts Thursday, July 2.

We've also added a new group of single-subject events, starting with a film tournament read by Ken Jennings (available through June 16). In subsequent weeks, we'll have special events focusing on American literature, sports, world history, and food and drink.

Register here!
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Re: Buzzword: A New Online Competition from NAQT (Season 2 starts July 2!)

Results for Season 1 of Buzzword are now final!

Congratulations to our division winners:

Level A: Conner Feng (MS), Lukas Koutsoukos (HS), Pranav Veluri (College), and Michael Laudermith (Open)

Level B: Nikky Nandipati (MS), Alexander Koutsoukos (HS), Jonathan Suh (College), and Michael Laudermith (Open)

Level C: Aditya Shivaswami (MS), Basil Sousounis (HS), Alexander Pyle (College), and Matthew Jackson (Open)

Registration for Season 2 and our special events is now open.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Re: Buzzword: A New Online Competition from NAQT (new events!)

We have two exciting announcements about Buzzword season 2, which starts Thursday, July 2.

Buzzword season 2 will add a fourth, more challenging difficulty level. Tossups at Level D are similar to those read at our High School National Championship Tournament.

We've also added a popular culture season: this will be an eight-week event in season 2, with questions about television, film, music, video games, musical theater, and comics.

Finally, a reminder that our special events focusing on Food and Drink and World History start play today and are available through Tuesday, June 30.

Register here!
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

If someone previously registered for Season 2C before D was available, is there an easy way to switch over?
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Kouign Amann wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:00 am If someone previously registered for Season 2C before D was available, is there an easy way to switch over?
Write to [email protected] and we'll take care of it.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Important Bird Area

Re: Buzzword: A New Online Competition from NAQT (now with leagues!)

Buzzword Leagues let you experience Buzzword with other players. See how you stack up against your friends, teammates, colleagues, family, and more. You can create your own leagues or join an existing league, public or private.

Leagues can consist of players in multiple divisions, who therefore couldn’t otherwise be compared easily. They can also just be subsets of divisions, providing a convenient way to compare a particular group of people.

Depending on league settings, members may be able to view more detailed results about each other’s games, and awards may be given within leagues.

Players in leagues can choose whichever games to play they’d like. League results are specific to games and seasons, and will compare players who participated in those games and seasons. League members play the same questions as non-members in each respective game.

Full details
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Re: Buzzword: A New Online Competition from NAQT (now with leagues!)

Results for Season 2 of Buzzword are now final!

Congratulations to our division winners:

Level A: Nikky Nandipati (MS), Alexander Koutsoukos (HS), Jay Misuk (College), and Michael Laudermith (Open)

Level B: Nikky Nandipati (MS), Arthur Delot-Vilain (HS), Eric Li (College), and Michael Laudermith (Open)

Level C: Nikky Nandipati (MS), Avinash Iyer (HS), Itamar Naveh-Benjamin (College), and Matthew Jackson (Open)

Level D: Aditya Shivaswamy (MS), Kapil Nathan (HS), Itamar Naveh-Benjamin (College), and Matthew Jackson (Open)

Popular Culture: Henry Martin (MS), Guy Indorante (HS), Harley Andrew (College), and Matthew Marcotte (Open)

Registration for Season 3 and our special events is now open.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Re: Buzzword: A New Online Competition from NAQT (season 3 starts September 24!)

The competition window for Week 1 of Buzzword Level A and Buzzword Popular Culture has been extended to 11:59 PM Central Time, Monday, September 28, due to a server outage on Sunday, September 27. If you received an email stating that judging was complete, it was an automated message and can be ignored. We apologize for any inconvenience the downtime may have caused.

If you have any questions, please contact us at [email protected].
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Re: Buzzword: A New Online Competition from NAQT (season 3 starts September 24!)

Buzzword will be back for a fourth season! Season 4 starts January 14 and will run through March 9.

We're also pleased to announce our range of special events for December and January:

Let's Remember Some Guys (December 3-December 8)

NAQT is thrilled to partner with the blog Defector to bring sports fans a Buzzword event based on the "Let's Remember Some Guys" series.

Join us for a trip down memory lane in this event focused on athletes who—while they might not make the Hall of Fame in their sport—are just notable enough to make you say “Hey, I remember that guy!” (Despite the title, the athletes covered in this game can be of any gender.)

Film Special 2 (December 3-December 8)

In a world racked by a recent lack of film trivia events—one special holds the key. One special can end the drought. One special can bring hope again.
From the people who brought you Buzzword Film...it’s Buzzword Film 2: The Sequel. Coming to screens December 3.

Pop Music Special (December 10-December 15)

Is your knowledge at the top of the charts? Find out with this awesome mix of pop music questions.

American History Special (December 10-December 15)

A game about America’s political, social, and military history from the colonial period to the present day.

Holiday Extravaganza (Levels A and C) (December 17-December 22)

Buzzword celebrates the winter season with two sets containing both academic and pop culture content from a variety of holiday traditions.

The Level A and Level C games will not share content; players may sign up for both.

European History Special (January 7-January 12)

Explore the rich history of Europe with this special event covering everything continental.

Register today!
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Re: Buzzword: A New Online Competition from NAQT (season 4 starts January 14!)

Questions from the first two seasons of Buzzword (Levels A, B, and C) are now available for purchase as practice material.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Our first two special events for December are now available!

We're offering a second film tournament, and a Let's Remember Some Guys sports event in partnership with Defector Media. Both are available through Tuesday, December 8.

Register today!
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

This week's special events are ready!

Through Tuesday, December 15, we have a Pop Music special and an American History special.

Register today!
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Buzzword's Holiday Extravaganza is here! New for this week we're offering two special games (Level A and Level C) with a mix of festive content about both academic and pop-culture knowledge.

We also have a special FREE offer: if you missed our film and sports special events back in June, each of those games is available again free through December 22!

Register today!
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Two history specials for this week: one about European history, the other focusing on American legal history and culture.

Register today!
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Reminder that Buzzword season 5 is now available! Register today!
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Re: Buzzword: A New Online Competition from NAQT (practice events for spring 2022!)

We're pleased to announce three Buzzword practice events to help teams prepare for our 2022 national championships.

Each of these is a practice event using questions from our spring 2018 national championships.

Division II ICT Practice will be available March 3–March 29.

SSNCT Practice will be available March 24–April 19.

HSNCT Practice will be available April 28–May 24.

Register today!
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

matthewspatrick
Lulu

Re: Buzzword: A New Online Competition from NAQT (practice events for spring 2022!)

Post by matthewspatrick »

Important Bird Area wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:42 pm We're pleased to announce three Buzzword practice events to help teams prepare for our 2022 national championships.
Dumb question: are these open to Open Division players?
Patrick Matthews
University of Pennsylvania 1989-94
NAQT Member Emeritus and co-founder
I do not speak for NAQT in any way, shape, or form.
Important Bird Area

Absolutely!
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to play our aerospace and aviation Buzzword challenge! Anyone in the universe is welcome to play, for free, and test their knowledge of aerospace and aviation topics in history, pop culture, science and technology, current events, literature, fine arts, and geography. The game will be available to play anytime during the six-day window from September 15-20. The top scorers in each of the four divisions (middle school, high school, college, and open) will receive personalized awards and intergalactic bragging rights.

Thank you to our sponsors at Boeing and the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) Greater Huntsville Section for their support!

Register today!
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Re: Buzzword: A New Online Competition from NAQT (new free aerospace special!)

Starting September 15, we'll have brand new Buzzword seasons in Popular Culture and Sports. Rather than the longer games of seasons past, we've switched it up to have short weekly games (ten questions) with continuous scheduling, so there's a new game every week.

If interest is sufficient, we plan to launch 50-week, year-long versions of the same seasons starting in January 2023.

Register today!
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Re: Buzzword: A New Online Competition from NAQT (new seasons in pop culture and sports!)

We're pleased to announce our next set of upcoming Buzzword events!

Two all-new specials for December:

Ancient History (December 15-20)
2022 Holiday Extravaganza (December 15-20)

and three more practice series available early in 2023:

Level A (January 19-February 21)
Level B (January 19-February 28)
Level C (January 19-February 28)

Register today!
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF