Pavement III: Solitary Man

Everything related to trash tournaments, including announcements, results, and discussion, goes here.
Asterias Wrathbunny
Wakka

Pavement III: Solitary Man

Post by Asterias Wrathbunny »

I'm pleased to announce PAveMEnT III, the successor tournament to PAveMEnTs I and II. PAveMENT III will be similar to previous installments of PAveMEnT. It will be run as an online doubles tournament, with you and your partner individually playing a packet of 20 pyramidal audio tossups every day for several consecutive days. The questions are oriented around popular music (non-classical) from the past to the present. The tournament will be written by myself, Chauncey Lo, Isaac Renert, Taylor Harvey, William Golden, and Evan Suttell.

We are aiming to run the first mirror some time in early 2023, but that is not confirmed. We will post information about the first mirror when we have that available. (edit 4/2/23: please see details about the first mirror below)

The difficulty of the questions will be similar to previous PAveMEnTs, but the distribution has been tweaked. The new distribution is as follows:

2 pop music from 1950-1989
2 pop music from 1990-present
1 soul, R&B, blues, pre-1960 rock
1 country and folk
1 jazz
1 Great American Songbook, musicals, and pre-1950 pop, which may or may not intersect with jazz
1 electronic and dance music
3.5 rap, hip-hop, and contemporary R&B
1.5 rock from 1960-1979
1.5 rock from 1980-1999
1.5 rock from 2000-present
3 misc tossups, including questions that span multiple of the above categories
Last edited by Asterias Wrathbunny on Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Victor Pavao
Acton-Boxborough '14, Villanova '18
Asterias Wrathbunny
Wakka

Re: Pavement III: Solitary Man

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delays and confusion about PAveMEnT III registration the past couple weeks. A couple announcements:

1. The tournament will now be running from Monday, May 15 to Friday, May 26, 2023 instead of May 8-19 to account for the delays and writers' schedules.

2. Registration on qblitz is live. The first 36 teams to register on qblitz will play this mirror of the tournament (the order on the team formation sheet does not matter). Payments will be managed by qblitz.

3. The first 6 rounds of the tournament will be a 6x6 round robin of 6 brackets, then we will rebracket into 6x6 brackets for playoffs for 4 rounds. Finals will be 2 rounds for a total of 12 rounds.
Last edited by Asterias Wrathbunny on Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Victor Pavao
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

Post by Dantooine is Big! »

I'm not participating in the production of this iteration of Pavement, so I'm going to play. Please contact me if you want to play this tournament together. I can promise some sick buzzes but very little knowledge of old, non-jazz music.
Young Fenimore Lee (they/them)
Stevenson High School 2017
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I was extremely awful at the first Pavement, but I'm going to try again. I do have some knowledge of older pop/rock music.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Alkres
Lulu

Post by Alkres »

What time will this take place?
Alan Kreisel. FSCJ.
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Qblitz events do not really have times; you play the rounds asynchronously over a series of several days (like other types of quiz events, like Learned League). So basically each day you get a round to play that you do whenever you want (you buzz in on the questions and your buzztime is compared to the opposing teams).
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Asterias Wrathbunny
Wakka

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delays and confusion about PAveMEnT III registration the past couple weeks. A couple announcements:

1. The tournament will now be running from Monday, May 15 to Friday, May 26, 2023 instead of May 8-19 to account for the delays and writers' schedules.

2. Registration on qblitz is live. The first 36 teams to register on qblitz will play this mirror of the tournament (the order on the team formation sheet does not matter). Payments will be managed by qblitz.

3. The first 6 rounds of the tournament will be a 6x6 round robin of 6 brackets, then we will rebracket into 6x6 brackets for playoffs for 4 rounds. Finals will be 2 rounds for a total of 12 rounds.
Victor Pavao
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

Good morning, PAveMEnT 3! I just went through the team formation spreadsheet and updated all the team names that were in there.
- If your team name is green, it's been updated in the Qblitz system. (Otherwise the team name is the person who did the initial registration.)
- If your team name is yellow, it's not in the system, probably because you didn't name your team.

There were several teams in the Qblitz system not in the spreadsheet, so I added those with some pink highlighting.

I've noted which teams have both players registered. I have NOT yet noted which teams have paid, so if you need to arrange payment, please set that up soon.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

CCinense
Kimahri

Pavement III: Solitary Man Registration Rules

Post by CCinense »

My partner and I will be first time players this upcoming season.. I registered last night and paid my share. I heard two different stories. One is I I get a unique code before the tournament starts to share with my partner so she can get the questions, too The other one is my partner has to register and pay her share. Which one is right? #needtogetclarity

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

There will be a second mirror of this tournament on Qblitz running from May 29 to June 9. Any team that registered on Qblitz after the field was full has been moved to the later mirror.

There is still a little bit of room in the field for the mirror. You can check this spreadsheet to see which teams are in which event (green for first, blue for second) and find some free agents to team up with.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I'm assuming that we can play this first round tomorrow, since it was opened up so late today and we haven't heard otherwise.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
linpaws
Lulu

Post by linpaws »

I registered on QBlitz for the second mirror; how do I change my team name? Also am I actually in the second mirror?
Swapnil Garg, Harker '18, MIT '22, Berkeley '27?
Asterias Wrathbunny
Wakka

Pavement III is now clear. Here is a doc that lists the clues and answerlines to the questions. The audio files will be released at a later date.
Victor Pavao
Asterias Wrathbunny
Wakka

I've posted the doc above and all the audio files here. GitHub doesn't have an in-browser audio player, so the files will most likely have to be downloaded to be of any use.
Victor Pavao