2022-2023 California Cup

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
njsbling
Rikku

2022-2023 California Cup

Post by njsbling »

[Register for May 20 Cal Cup #4 here => https://www.naqt.com/registration/field ... t_id=14582]

The Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance is pleased to announce the eleventh annual California Cup. The California Cup consists of four quiz bowl tournaments held throughout the year, and it is widely considered the premier academic competition event in Northern California. For each tournament, we will have check-in at 8:30AM, an opening meeting at 8:45AM, matches starting at about 9:00AM, a lunch break around noon, and we hope most teams will finish by 5:00PM.

Cal Cup #1 will be online - we ask that teams outside of Northern/Central California not compete (sorry).

Tournament Dates and Locations:
California Cup #1: Saturday, October 29, 2022 on Discord
California Cup #2: Saturday, November 12, 2022 @ Oakland HS
California Cup #3: Saturday, March 4, 2023 @ Saint Francis HS (Mtn View)
California Cup #4: Saturday, May 20, 2023 on Discord

Question Sets:
Cal Cup 1 will use KICKOFF for Competitive+Standard and KICKOFF NOVICE for Novice
Cal Cup 2 will use NAQT IS-215 for Competitive+Standard and NAQT IS-216A for Novice
Cal Cup 3 will use DART III for Competitive, IQBT Regular Season Set #2 for Standard, and SCOP Novice for Novice
Cal Cup 4 will use SCT DII for Competitive, IS-219 for Standard, and IS-220A for Novice

We are pleased to re-introduce "the package" that we had in previous years - teams can play all four tournaments for the price of three.

Teams may choose to register separately for each tournament within the series, but we recommend registering for all four tournaments at once (the “package”), which will give you a significant discount. We generally ask that teams sign up for the package at Cal Cup #1. Schools may register more than one team--there is no limit.

We offer a lot of flexibility in allowing drops from the field right up to 12PM (Noon) Pacific the day before the tournament. If you must drop from a tournament after 12PM the day before the tournament, you will be liable for 50% of the cost of the upcoming tournament. If you do not show up at a tournament without informing us, you will be liable for the full price of the tournament. Exceptions to these policies will be made only in case of emergency. By signing up for the California Cup tournament series, you agree to these policies.

Entry Fees:
Base fee per team for package of all four tournaments: $300
If your school played zero Cal Cup events last year (i.e. new school discount): -$100 from the price of the package

Registering for a single tournament: $100
New school registering for a single tournament: $65

Buzzer discount: -$10 per buzzer per tournament
Staff discount: -$30 per tournament per approved staffer (if needed)
Referral discount: If a school (new or established) refers Cal Cup to a new school then they will receive a $10 discount per tournament per team that the referred school plays.
If a team consists of 2 players then the team will receive a $20 discount (in addition to any other possible discounts).
If a team consists of 1 player then the team will receive a $40 discount (in addition to any other possible discounts).
Minimum entry fee: $20 per team per tournament

Staff discounts apply on an as-needed, first-come, first-serve basis. When registering, please detail how many staff you may be able to bring. As the tournament approaches, we will let you know whether they are needed or not. Note that discounts for future tournaments will NOT be given at any particular tournament.

Payment:
For in-person tournaments, we accept payment via PayPal, Venmo, Cash, and Check

Division Information:
The Cal Cup competitions will each consist of three divisions: Competitive, Standard, and Novice.

The Competitive division is intended to contain teams that would be ranked among the top few hundred in the nation.

The Standard division contains teams that (1) are not required to play Competitive, (2) do not qualify to play Novice, and (3) choose not to play Competitive. This division will use regular high school difficulty sets and allow teams of strength generally below that of nationally competitive teams to play against other such teams.

Novice teams are intended to be entirely comprised of players in their first or second years of playing high school-level quiz bowl, with players in their second year of playing quiz bowl being admitted at our discretion (under special circumstances, we may allow players with more than two years of experience to play Novice). Generally, this division is intended for players who are actually new to the game and is tailored towards awarding a title to players who have just started playing. Hence, there is a maximum of one year of Novice eligibility for players who play a full slate of Novice tournaments over the course of the entire school year.

Scoring and Gameplay:

We will enforce all the gameplay rules as they are written in Sections C-I of the official gameplay rules of the Academic Competition Federation (ACF), so all players should familiarize themselves with these rules before playing these tournaments. Pay special attention to timing, pronunciation, and protest guidelines, as players often lose points by not knowing these.

Nationals Qualification:
November 12 California Cup #2 is a qualifier for the 2023 NAQT High School National Championship Tournament and Small School National Championship Tournament. Each competition is a qualifier for the 2023 PACE National Scholastic Championship tournament.

Thank you for your interest, and please spread the word to other high schools that are interested in quiz bowl or are heavily involved in other academic events like debate, robotics, or Science Bowl. We look forward to another exciting year of academic competition!

You can find out more about what quiz bowl is here (https://www.norcalquizbowl.org/?page_id=18) here and you can find more quiz bowl-pertinent resources here (https://www.norcalquizbowl.org/?page_id=51).

Please contact us at californiacupquizbowl (at) gmail (dot) com if you have any questions.
Last edited by njsbling on Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:18 am, edited 12 times in total.
Nicholas Karas
Atlanta, Georgia
Member, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
californiacupquizbowl (at) gmail (dot) com
njsbling
Rikku

Re: 2022-2023 California Cup

Post by njsbling »

Cal Cup #3 Field as of Mar 3 at 9pm Pacific time (42):

Competitive (11)
Bellarmine
Guilder
Harker
Irvington
Mira Loma
Mission San Jose
North Star Academy
Pleasanton Conquiztadors
Saint Francis
San Jose Scholars
Saratoga

Standard (11)
Archbishop Mitty
Challenger-Strawberry Park
Churchill
Crystal Springs
College Prep
Hopkins
Lowell
Redwood
Saint Francis
Saratoga
Vista Del Lago

Novice (20)
American (3)
Chadbourne
Challenger-Ardenwood
Challenger-Berryessa
Challenger-Shawnee
Challenger-Strawberry Park (2)
Churchill (2)
Guilder
Gunn
Harker
Irvington
Oakland (2)
Redwood
Saint Francis
Sinnott
Last edited by njsbling on Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:49 am, edited 33 times in total.
Nicholas Karas
Atlanta, Georgia
Member, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
californiacupquizbowl (at) gmail (dot) com
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Congratulations to Saratoga, who defeated Mira Loma 425-285 in the second game of an advantaged final to win the Competitive division of Cal Cup #2! In the Standard division, Challenger-Strawberry Park A went undefeated with a 9-0 record. In the Novice division, Challenger-Strawberry Park B defeated Hopkins Junior High A 100-95 in the second stage of a three-team tiebreaker.

Saratoga, Mira Loma, Irvington, Bellarmine, and Vista Del Lago qualified for HSNCT in Atlanta.

Complete team and individual statistics are here.

My thanks to our host, Doug Robeson of Oakland High, our logistics director, Nicholas Karas, and to all the moderators and scorekeepers who made this tournament possible!
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

Prelim stats for California Cup #3.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

Congratulations to Guilder A, who defeated Saratoga A 475-200 in the first game of an advantaged final to win the Competitive division of Cal Cup #3! In the Standard division, Lowell won outright with a 4-1 playoff record. In the Novice division, Henry M. Gunn defeated Fremont American 545-225 in a one-game final.

Complete team and individual statistics are here.

My thanks to our host, coach Mei Yang of Saint Francis, our logistics director, Nicholas Karas, our control room staff, Kevin Ye and Rohan Venkateswaran, and to all the moderators and scorekeepers who made this tournament possible!
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF