Cavalier Classic XXV - September 24th, 2022 at the University of Virginia (IS-213)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Destructive Desmond
Lulu

Cavalier Classic XXV - September 24th, 2022 at the University of Virginia (IS-213)

Post by Destructive Desmond »

The Academic Competition Club at the University of Virginia will be hosting its annual fall tournament, Cavalier Classic, on Saturday, September 24th, 2022 using NAQT IS-213. This tournament will be held in person in Charlottesville at New Cabell Hall.

All teams will be guaranteed at least 10 games. We will not be using computational math tossups or computational math bonuses at this event.

Geographic restrictions
This tournament is no longer region restricted.

Affiliation
The top 15% of the field will automatically qualify for the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament. We are seeking PACE certification.

COVID-19 precautions
We will be following and enforcing University policies for the tournament. Masks are optional on grounds. Vaccination is strongly encouraged for attendees.

Team restrictions
Only 4 players can play at once, and there can be a maximum number of 6 players on each team’s roster, with substitutions possible at half-time and between games. If you wish to bring 7 or 8 players, we ask that you register a second team and so on for anyone with larger numbers of players. All players must be enrolled at the same school; no chimera teams are permitted. If you have questions about eligibility, please send me an email.

The tournament will be held in New Cabell Hall at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville. We will be sending teams exact directions on how to get here and the room information.

Parking
Teams can park along Cabell Drive. Parking is not available to visitors at the Student Health Center, Bice House, or Bond House.

Food
Teams will be informed about food options closer to the date of the tournament.

Fee structure
Base fee: $75 per team
Buzzer discount: $5 for each system on which the control box and 8 buzzers work.
Staff discount: $20 for a competent moderator; $10 for a scorekeeper. The Academic Competition Club reserves the right to decide which staffers to accept for a discount.
Minimum fee: $25

Payment
We can accept payment in cash, check, Venmo, or Zelle. Checks should be made out to “Academic Competition Club at UVa.” Please pay either in advance or, preferably, on the day of the tournament. If you wish to pay in advance, please indicate this on the registration form and I will send you an address. All teams will be sent an invoice after we receive their registration. The Academic Competition Club can provide invoices and W-9s as needed.

Field
The cap for this tournament is 16 teams which has now been reached. Teams who register will be added to a waitlist.

Registration
To officially register for this tournament please fill out this form. All teams must have a chaperone.

If your school has registered and would like to change any details of your registration, or if you have any questions concerning the tournament, please email the tournament director, Em Gunter, at vef2jj AT virginia DOT edu.

We hope to see you in September!

Current Field
Virginia Episcopal School (1/0/0)
Huguenot High School (2/0/0)
Fort Defiance High School (2/0/0)
Maggie Walker Governor's School (5/2/0)
Early College at Guilford (2/0/0)
Norfolk Academic Guild (1/0/1)
Richard Montgomery High School (2/0/0)
Walt Whitman High School (1/0/1)
Last edited by Destructive Desmond on Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Alana Dickey
Allderdice '19
UVA '23
FSU '25
she/her
meebles127
Tidus

Re: Cavalier Classic XXV - September 24th, 2022 at the University of Virginia (IS-213)

Post by meebles127 »

As a reminder, we are still accepting registrations for Cavalier Classic!
Em Gunter
Club President, University of Virginia
Tournament Director, 2023 Chicago Open
Assistant Tournament Director, 2022 and 2023 ACF Nationals

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
meebles127
Tidus

Re: Cavalier Classic XXV - September 24th, 2022 at the University of Virginia (IS-213)

Post by meebles127 »

The field is now closed.
Em Gunter

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

Thank you so much to everyone that made the trek to UVA yesterday for the 25th iteration of Cavalier Classic! I had a wonderful time yesterday and I hope that everyone else did as well.

First off, I want to say congratulations to Maggie Walker A for winning the tournament without the need for a final. I’d also like to congratulate all teams in attendance for their performance yesterday. While I didn’t get to see any games played, I heard many wonderful things from my staffers.

I'd also like to say thank you to all of our staffers who made the tournament possible. The majority of our staffers were UVA students, but I want to give a particular thanks to our external staffers Austin Smith and Harry White. Harry drove from northern Virginia to run stats for the tournament, which we are all very grateful for. Austin took the time out of his busy schedule to staff the tournament. I'd also like to give a special thanks to Matt Weiner and Douglas Graebner whose contributions made the tournament possible.

Full statistics for the tournament are currently available at hsquizbowl.org and will be available on the NAQT website sometime in the next few weeks. If you notice any errors in the statistics, please send me an email with “Cavalier Classic Stats Correction” in the subject line. The statistics for this tournament can be found at the following links:

Prelims
Playoffs
Combined

This was the fourth tournament I have helped direct here at UVA, and my second as primary Tournament Director. It’s always a joy to see the halls of New Cabell filled with students excited to play quizbowl and I can’t wait to see y’all back here at our next tournament.
Em Gunter