NAQT Collegiate Novice at Toronto (09/24/22)

Old college threads.
benchapman
Lulu

NAQT Collegiate Novice at Toronto (09/24/22)

Post by benchapman »

The University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club will be hosting a mirror of NAQT’s Collegiate Novice tournament (CNS-213C) on Saturday, September 24, 2022. I, Benjamin Chapman, will be the tournament director.

Logistics
The tournament will begin at 9:00 AM and will be held in the Bahen Centre for Information Technology, 40 St. George Street, Toronto. Please arrive early, as we will be starting exactly at 9.

Fees and Registration
Our field cap is 16 teams. We will use NAQT’s registration system for this tournament. To register, create an account and register at https://www.naqt.com/go/register/13747. In addition, please email me ([email protected]) as well. Payment will be by e-transfer to [email protected] and due by the start of the tournament.

The fee for this tournament will be $80 (CAD) per team, with the following discounts:

-$10/team for each moderator with a functioning laptop + charger
-$10/team for a functioning buzzer set
-$15/team if that school did not attend any tournaments in the 2020-21 school year
-$15/team for a shorthanded team (team consisting of 1 or 2 players)
The minimum fee for a team is $40.

The registration deadline is Wednesday, September 21 at 11:59 PM; after that, I reserve the right to decline your team's registration.

Our drop deadline is Wednesday, September 21 at 11:59 PM; after that, you will still be liable for your team's fee.

Eligibility
This tournament will have strict eligibility requirements as it is intended for novices currently enrolled in post-secondary institutions. Note that high school players and coaches may not attend this tournament.

Any player who has never played quizbowl before (History Bowl and Reach for the Top do not count) is automatically eligible.

If a player has played quizbowl before, they are eligible so long as:

1. They have not scored more than PP20TUH of over 25 at a collegiate tournament (not including collegiate novice).
2. They have not received a PP20TUH of over 30 on an IS set or over 50 on an IS-A set (including collegiate novice).
3. They have played quizbowl at a post-secondary institution for at most one academic year.

If you are not eligible per the above restrictions but believe that you are part of this tournament’s target audience, please contact me at [email protected] and I may consider making an exception.

Mask Policy
Masks are required except when eating or drinking.

Field
Queen's
Toronto A
Toronto B
Toronto C
Toronto D
Toronto E
Waterloo A
Waterloo B
Waterloo C
Waterloo D

If you have any questions about the tournament, please email me at [email protected]. I look forward to seeing you all on the 24th!
Benjamin Chapman
Hunter College High School '21
University of Toronto '26
benchapman
Lulu

Re: NAQT Collegiate Novice at Toronto (09/24/22)

Post by benchapman »

Congratulations to Waterloo B, who defeated Waterloo C in the first game of an advantaged final 335-280. Stats are available here.
Benjamin Chapman
Hunter College High School '21
University of Toronto '26