Alabama Quiz Bowl 2022-23

This forum is for discussion and comparisons for southern states, including Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, Arkansas and Louisiana.
osbornrj
Lulu

Alabama Quiz Bowl 2022-23

Post by osbornrj »

Alabama School of Cyber Technology & Engineering will host the following in-person tournament:

Sentinel Invitational
Date: Saturday, Oct. 15, 2022
Tournament Time: TBD
Type: Regular Season
Level: Middle School
Question Set: NAQT IS-212A
Host: Alabama School of Cyber Technology & Engineering (ASCTE)
Cap: 18 teams
Fee: $80 per team
Buzzer Discount: -$5 per buzzer set
Minimum fee per team: $70

Registration url: https://www.naqt.com/go/register/13528

Registration is limited to a maximum of two teams per school.
Robin Osborne
Alabama School of Cyber Technology and Engineering (parent)
American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Greater Huntsville Section (Associate Fellow)
EmilianoZapata
Lulu

Re: Alabama Quiz Bowl 2022-23

Post by EmilianoZapata »

If you’re looking for/need staffers I’m available.

[email protected]
Aiden Dombrosky
Hoover
Class of 2024
osbornrj
Lulu

Post by osbornrj »

AIAA GHS will host the following in-person tournament:

AIAA Rocket City Invitational
Date: Feb. 4, 2022
Type: Regular Season
Level: High School Varsity
Question Set: NAQT IS-217
Location: Business Administration Building at University of Alabama Huntsville
Host: American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Greater Huntsville Section
Cap: 18 teams
Fee: $60 per team
Buzzer Discount: -$5 per buzzer set
Minimum fee per team: $50
Please make checks payable to AIAA GHS. You may pay on the day of the tournament or mail the check to the following address:
AIAA GHS
PO Box 7208
Huntsville, AL 35807

Registration url: https://www.naqt.com/registration/field ... t_id=13673

This tournament is for Alabama and Mississippi teams only, and only one team per school may register. Priority will be given to high school teams.

Awards:
The top teams will receive trophies and cash prizes as follows:
1st place: $1000
2nd place: $750
3rd place: $500
4th place: $250

The top 10 individual scorers will receive awards.

10/26/22 UPDATE:

At this tournament there will be two deviations from NAQT rules:

1) Each team is limited to no more than 6 players.
2) On bonuses, moderators will only accept answers from the team captain, unless the team captain tells the moderator they want to defer to one of their teammates.
Last edited by osbornrj on Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Robin Osborne
American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Greater Huntsville Section (Associate Fellow)
osbornrj
Lulu

Post by osbornrj »

There's a free 50-question NAQT Buzzword game available right now. It "launched" yesterday and will close at midnight CDT Tuesday, Sept. 20. Anyone can play, as long as they're at least 13 years old. That's the minimum age required to make an NAQT account. Below is a description of the game, along with the game link. Please note that the division winners will receive awards as well as recognition through AIAA GHS social media.

WE NEED MORE MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS TO PLAY!!! Only 3 have played so far! Let's make this more competitive! Even if you doubt your knowledge in this subject area, play it anyway, because you might learn something that will come in handy in the future. :-)

It would also be great to get more high school and college students on board. At the time of this posting, there are only 18 players listed in the HS division.

Aerospace/Aviation Buzzword Challenge
You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to play NAQT’s aerospace/aviation Buzzword challenge, sponsored by The Boeing Company and the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) Greater Huntsville Section. In fact, anyone in the universe is welcome to play, for free, and test their knowledge of aerospace and aviation in the areas of science and technology, history, pop culture, current events, literature, fine arts, and geography. Register today as we excitedly await the launch of NASA’s Artemis I mission. The game will be available to play anytime during the 6-day window from Sept. 15-20. The top scorers in each of the four divisions (middle school, high school, college, and open) will receive personalized awards and intergalactic bragging rights.

https://www.naqt.com/buzzword/special/aerospace.jsp
Robin Osborne
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Results and stats from the West Point "Early Fall" Invitational are now available.

Varsity Results:

1st - Hoover A
2nd - West Point A
3rd - Alabama Cyber Tech
4th - University School of Nashville A

In JV:
1st - Hoover C
2nd - Arab Jr. High A
3rd - Rainbow Middle School

Full stats can be found here: https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/7660/
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Hello neighbors,

The University School of Nashville will be mirroring the DART set on January 7th, 2023. Details can be found here: viewtopic.php?p=391985. We would love to see teams from your neck of the woods to pay us a visit, to play what's sure to be an excellent set (esp for those of you preparing for HSNCT and SSNCT).
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
osbornrj
Lulu

Post by osbornrj »

Thank you to everyone who participated and supported the first-ever Sentinel Invitational Tournament for middle school!

Results:
1st - Monrovia A
2nd - Arab A
3rd - Discovery A

Tournament stats are posted on these websites:
https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/7737/
https://www.naqt.com/go/stats/13528
Robin Osborne
osbornrj
Lulu

Post by osbornrj »

If I can get 5 more high school teams from either Alabama or Mississippi to put themselves on the waitlist for the Rocket City Invitational (to be held on Feb. 4 at UAH), I'll increase the cap to 24.

https://www.naqt.com/go/field/13673

See third post from the top of this thread for a description of the tournament.

Best regards,
Robin
Robin Osborne
23ejd
Kimahri

Post by 23ejd »

Are the sites for middle school Districts the same as last year?

User was reminded to enable a complete signature. --Mgmt.
Last edited by 23ejd on Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ethan Xu
Liberty '19
James Clemens '23
Vanderbilt '27

Coach for Liberty
osbornrj
Lulu

Post by osbornrj »

The cap for the Rocket City Invitational tournament has been raised from 18 to 24 teams. As of 1/8/2023, there are 3 open slots for high school teams.

Follow this link for more information, including the NAQT registration link:
viewtopic.php?t=26210
Robin Osborne
osbornrj
Lulu

Post by osbornrj »

Thank you to the coaches and teams who participated in the 2023 AIAA Rocket City Invitational!

Congratulations to the winners:
1st: Hoover High School
2nd: Alabama School of Cyber Technology and Engineering
3rd: James Clemens High School
4th: Grissom High School

The stats are listed on both the NAQT and Quizbowl Resource Center’s websites:
http://www.naqt.com/go/stats/13673
http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/7859/

An article about the event is posted on the AIAA GHS website:
https://static.hsv-aiaa.org/archives/20 ... I1LjAuMC4w

Seniors in AL and MS:
If you plan to major in a STEM discipline and also plan to attend an accredited university in AL or MS, consider applying for the Robert L. Sackheim Engineering, Science, & Math Scholarship. The application process is very easy, and we don’t require official transcripts or recommendations.
More information:
https://engage.aiaa.org/greaterhuntsvil ... lle%2fhome

Best regards,
Robin
Robin Osborne
K@b00m
Lulu

Post by K@b00m »

ASCA Middle School State Championship 2023 Stats are out.

https://www.naqt.com/stats/tournament/s ... t_id=13545

Congrats to all who participated, and good luck at JV this Friday? (Can I say weekend? Kinda weird...)
Kapil Nathan

Bumpus MS, Alabama '18; Hoover HS, Alabama '22; somewhere '26
2019 (both), 2020 (JV), 2021 Varsity ASCA State Champion
5th Place Solo JV NH Bowl 2019
US History Bee Varsity Division Champion 2021
National Political Science Bee Champion JV 2020
National Science and Political Science Bee Varsity 3rd place Finisher 2021
International Geography Bee 3rd place JV 2020, 4th place Varsity 2021
Varsity National History Bee Semifinalist 2020 and 2021
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

I thought I'd jump in here and give my thoughts on the upcoming ASCA State Tournaments. I haven't prognosticated on Alabama Quiz Bowl in a long time.

JV State is tomorrow. I predict some combination of Cyber Tech, Hoover, and West Point will be in the Top 4. Who comes out on top is anyone's guess.

For ASCA Varsity State, we will have 3 Divisions for the first time ever.

Div. I - This will probably be either Hoover or Cyber Tech. While I think Tate is the best player in the state, and I know he is more than capable of pulling an upset on Hoover, I think it's a long shot that Cyber Tech will defeat Hoover in a "best-of-3" Championship. However, if something odd happens and they face each other before the finals, anything could transpire.

Div. II - I think West Point is probably the favorite here. But, Athens and Southside are very strong. Also, Helena put up surprisingly good stats at District. West Point is very streaky, too. So, it's possible someone could pull an upset here. Also, never count out Gadsden City (who I can't believe is Div. II - their school is massive).

Div. III - TR Miller will probably win this fairly easily.

Take my 2 cents with a grain of salt. I was feeling nostalgic for the old days of discussing and analyzing Alabama Quiz Bowl on this forum, so I decided to make this post. Feel free to post your own predictions/thoughts.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
EmilianoZapata
Lulu

Post by EmilianoZapata »

Looking forward to how JV State turns out tomorrow

As a Hoover player I have to back my own horse, but it's gonna be a tight race.

Let's hope there are no Maggie Thatcher bonuses :lol:
Aiden Dombrosky
Hoover
Class of 2024
EmilianoZapata
Lulu

Post by EmilianoZapata »

Hello quizbowl players, coaches, and sponsors!

Please mark your calendars for Saturday, May 6, 2023 for Hoover High School’s first ever Scholastic Competition of Utterly Ridiculous Vapid Yahoos (SCURVY) tournament. Hoover High School is located in Hoover, Alabama:

1000 Buccaneer Drive
Hoover, AL 35244

This tournament will be a house set written by current Hoover players and recent Hoover graduates with a little help from some great minds in quizbowl. The SCURVY (viewtopic.php?p=393853#p393853) packet is a regs+ and is intended to be a Nats prep for competitive teams with more experienced players. Inexperienced players are welcome, but the question set difficulty is moderate to harder high school level.

LOGISTICS:

Our field is tentatively set at 24 teams, but we are open to expanding the field based on interest and reader availability.

On May 6th, on-site registration will begin at 8:30 central time, and play will begin at as close to 9:00 as possible.

The registration fee is $80 for the first team and $70 for each additional team registered from an individual school. At this point, there is no cap on the number of teams per school allowed to register, but that is contingent on interest and reader availability.

A $5 discount will be given for bringing a fully-functioning buzzer set (up to 3 discounts per school). A $10 discount will be given to schools located a minimum of 100 miles away OR any out-of-state school that attends.

Lunch will be sold on site and will be cash only. Lunch price will be $6 for two slices of pizza and a drink; vegetarian options will be available, but we will be unable to prepare for gluten allergies. There are also plenty of fast food options within a 5-minute drive of the school.

We will also sell additional snacks and drinks throughout the day (cash only).

In order to indicate your intent to register, please fill out THIS GOOGLE FORM: (https://docs.google.com/forms/u/1/d/e/1 ... sp=sf_link).

If you have questions, feel free to email me at [email protected].

We hope to see you there.

Anthony Hamley,
Hoover HS
Aiden Dombrosky
Hoover
Class of 2024
scottkim
Lulu

Post by scottkim »

Hello all!
GATA is opening up our GATA Nationals Prep Tournament to other teams in the Southeast! The tournament will be played on NAQT SCT23-DII and is intended for teams that are planning on attending HSNCT.

The tournament will be held on April 22nd at Commerce High School

If you are interested in attending, please register through the NAQT Registration system. You may view the field using the link below.

https://www.naqt.com/registration/field ... t_id=13508

Thanks and we hope to see you in April!
Scott Kim
Quiz Bowl Coach
North Gwinnett MS (2017-Present)
Collins Hill HS (2006-2017)
QuizBro
Lulu

Post by QuizBro »

Firstly, thank you to all of the ASCA members and everyone involved in running state for doing so. It went smoothly as far as I could tell. I want to congratulate the other champions in their respective divisions: Hoover and T.R. Miller. But I'd really like to recognize some of the other teams and players in Division II who I feel don't get enough.

Southside: We've played them before and they've always impressed me. We played them in the first round at state. If my teammate did not start off to probably the best half of a game he's ever had, we would have probably been losing. There was also a pretty big streak of questions in the second half where they pulverized us. We played them again in the semis (which was also for the 5A title), and they did not make it easy. I gained even more respect for them that game, as they clearly had a very strong mentality and were very much like "Let's do this". Ian has some impressive history buzzes, while Jake, Ariq, and Caleb all add a fundamental amount to the team.

Decatur: Was easily the most tense I was in the prelims. I can't say much, as this is the first time I've ever played them, but Sam has always had some pretty scary stats, and he proved his skill against us. He is very good.

Gadsden City: While we didn't play them Friday, we got to play them twice at JV State (both of our varsity teams being mostly our JV players). They were beating us at the half in the prelims and gave us our closest game. They are pretty balanced, too. Aiden, Chris, and Corbin all did well, and they have some really good 7th graders (Latika and Jameson).

Helena: Never played them, but they were the number 2 seed going into state after a very impressive district performance. I got to watch their game against Athens during our bye. Will did very well and Jeremy helped a good bit. They seemed to have a very good base of knowledge but suffered from their speed on tossups. For a team that seemingly came out of nowhere and hasn't been to any big invitationals, they were very impressive. Their game against Athens went to a tiebreaker. Getting that close to beating Athens is impressive because...

Athens: ...is very good. They've by far been the team that has worried me the most this year for state, as they've consistently done very well at every tournament they have been to. Charlie is super good. I only beat him for MVP by 1 tossup in the prelims, and he had some good buzzes against us (as well as his teammates). They gave us a fight in both games, with us only up by 30 at the half during the second game. Charlie should be recognized as one of the best players in the state, and one of the best current events players in the country (5th at IPNCT!). If any other team were to win, it should have been them. If I haven't mentioned it already, Charlie is very good.

Others:
- Dalton Stults from Russellville has impressive buzzes and kinda kicked our butts at state last year after having a very good game.
- Christian Bloodsworth from Pell City got a few impressive buzzes during the first half against us. We weren't winning by that much at the half against them but we had a good second half. He and his team beat Southside at district, too.
- Conner McDonald from Pelham is good. I've played him a couple of times and both times he has gotten numerous tossups on us.
- My teammates. I could not have won without them. JD didn't have the best day tossup-wise, but got one at a very crucial moment in the final round. Abigail didn't have the best prelim performance, but did amazing in the playoffs and quickly got the tossup that made it impossible for us to lose the championship game. Then there is Brady. Brady is extremely good at geography, astronomy, and a fair bit of history. He hasn't had the best last few tournaments, but he was able to step it up Friday and was only 2 tossups away from getting an All-Star award :aaa:. In his 3-4 tossups a game, he would have powered almost every single one of them, and he never negged. Not even once. On NAQT rules he might have dropped a fat 22/0/0 or something. The Brady that I was on a team with Friday is in contention for one of the best freshmen this year. Seriously.

Anyway, congratulations to all the teams who made it to state and those who won. I just wanted to appreciate some of the amazing teams and players in my division, and to thank everyone involved in making ASCA state such an amazing event.
Brodie Henry
West Point High School (2020-25)
Former player for West Point Intermediate and Middle Schools

“Two roads diverged in a yellow wood. I didn’t take either of them. There might be squirrels.”
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

We're coming down to the last few days for it, but if any from Alabama wants to play NASAT this year, please check out this thread for info. We'd love to have you represented.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Hello neighbors - as you consider your schedule for next year, please consider coming to USN for our fall tournament on 9/30. Here is the announcement: viewtopic.php?t=27185
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation