Quiz Bowl Tournament in Japan

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Strongside
Rikku

Quiz Bowl Tournament in Japan

Post by Strongside »

Does anyone have more details than what is on the NAQT website about that Quiz Bowl Tournament that is to be held later this month in Japan?

I am not sure if this is the proper thread to post this in but I felt it made the most sense and I'm sure other people are also curious.[/b]
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010
bigmac
Lulu

Post by bigmac »

Right, about that. . .

Planning this has been equal parts exciting and frustrating. Our team is of course very happy to go compete in Japan and to have a trip to Tokyo. Originally, our itinerary had us flying into Japan on the afternoon of the 17th and flying out on the morning of the 19th with an all-day "tournament" on the 18th. Our team decided to pick up two extra nights, but we still could be pretty jet-lagged. I still have yet to receive a single piece of information on the make-up or format of the tournament other than that the TV show is one that the Japanese team one. We will still do our best to represent the US of A.

That is, unless we can't go. The recent security alerts have put the trip up in the air. More later.
RM coach
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

The only thing I heard about format (from some of the Japanese tv people who were at NAQT nationals) was:

"Your format is so. . . academic. Our format. . . sometime academic, sometime. . . yes-no questions"

But I've been watching a lot of Kurosawa and Godzilla movies, so no worries. . .
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

So... did this thing go down in Japan or what?
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

Yeah I'm curious as well...did the Koreans feel inspired by a need to repay the Japanese for the WBC defeat? Did they prove once and for all that it would indeed be more efficient to use that raw fish stuff as bait, or that karate really is hella weak (unless you're under 12 years of age) compared to tkd or any other martial art?

...Or did the Americans dominate as expected?
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Matt Morrison wrote:Yeah I'm curious as well...did the Koreans feel inspired by a need to repay the Japanese for the WBC defeat? Did they prove once and for all that it would indeed be more efficient to use that raw fish stuff as bait, or that karate really is hella weak (unless you're under 12 years of age) compared to tkd or any other martial art?

what
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Matt Morrison wrote:Yeah I'm curious as well...did the Koreans feel inspired by a need to repay the Japanese for the WBC defeat? Did they prove once and for all that it would indeed be more efficient to use that raw fish stuff as bait, or that karate really is hella weak (unless you're under 12 years of age) compared to tkd or any other martial art?

Any martial art is weak compared to a fusion of several.

I'd actually say that using karate as a basis is stronger, potentially, than using tae kwon do.

But then again, I'm very confused... you all right there?
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

I asked my eyes the same question when I saw the Steve Irwin forum.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

In somewhat falsified hope of not turning this into another "what the christ is matt morrison talking about" thread:

The Japan trip did not happen. A combination of the terror alerts the week before and Japan providing us basically zero details about the trip made some parents want to back out, and sadly my request to go to Japan and compete solo in Godzilla style against the Japanese/Korean teams was turned down.

It would have been really, really cool, even though it was probably going to end up being a set up. I guess for now, I'll have to continue to settle for Mishima tossups. So it goes.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Now we'll never find out what in the world was going on with that webpage.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

The terrorists truly have won now.
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

For any one who cares . . .

Japan and Korea did play. Japan won 15-6.

Some of the questions were like
(with a picture of maccupicchu) which country is it in?
Name all planets in the solar system with a diameter greater than that of Earth.
Who is the principle actor in Da Vinci Code?
Who solved the riddle of Sphinx?
Who is the girlfriend of Popeye?
DumbJaques wrote:It would have been really, really cool, even though it was probably going to end up being a set up.
"65 members from committees of both countries submitted questions. The questions were prepared over three months, with care so that the questions would not favor either team. It was difficult to create questions that can be answered with 'the barrier of language.' So, many visual questions were used."
mentalchocolate
Wakka

Post by mentalchocolate »

That is interesting. I had wondered how they would attempt to overcome the language barrier. I think it would be great to attempt to increase international competition. I understand the costs and logistics would be a huge hurdle, but how much has this really looked into it? Does anyone know whether there is a quizbowl circuit besides in the US? From what I understand Canada, Japan, Korea, and China each have some teams (or a team). Has anyone tried expanding any teams to Europe?
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

I once heard about an international quizbowl competition where indvidiaul teams were "invited"; it was held in a different location each year (last time I heard about it, it was held in Scotland) and the teams heard the questions UN style, simultaneously, in their choice of six languages. Anyone know about this?
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I don't know about that competition, but on wikipedia there is an article about a Lithuanian quizbowl activity called Protmušis, although it's definitely not normal quizbowl.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I presume we're not talking about the National Geographic World Geography Olympiad or something like that. ??? Of course there is the Math Olympiad...
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

One of my current recruits went to an American school in Ukraine and he played in an international quizbowl event in Moscow. It had 12 teams, all from English-speaking schools though. This recruit's team finished 2nd, he tells me.
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

E.T. Chuck wrote:I presume we're not talking about the National Geographic World Geography Olympiad or something like that. ???
Dr. Chuck, at the "National Geographic World Championship," f.k.a. the International Geographic Olympiad, the language barrier is eliminated by having real-time translation for each team through United Nations-style head pieces. Obviously that wouldn't work well at all for tossup questions, but to my knowledge NGS has never had trouble asking questions one at a time in every language. Doing something like that as a multi-lingual academic competition isn't far-fetched at all, it just wouldn't be "quiz bowl" (as in, with a buzzer).