2022 NAQT ICT: Division I specific question discussion

Elaborate on the merits of specific tournaments or have general theoretical discussion here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

2022 NAQT ICT: Division I specific question discussion

Post by Important Bird Area »

This is your specific-question discussion thread for the 2022 Division I ICT set.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Daedalus
Wakka

Re: 2022 NAQT ICT: Division I specific question discussion

Post by Daedalus »

Could I see the tossup on particle beams, please? In particular, I'd like to know why "particle colliders" was promptable and "particle accelerators" wasn't, given that those terms are generally used interchangeably for "the larger apparatus in which particle beams are used."
Adam (S?) Fine
UCLS 2015
Yale (Physics) 2019
Chicago (Biophysics) 2050 (approx.)
Important Bird Area

2022 DI ICT round 1 wrote:Unidentified Falling Objects cause losses in one of these things and lead it to be dumped by dilution kickers that sweep it in a Lissajous figure. The total momentum over the total charge of these things is their rigidity, a measure of how easily they can be guided by magnets. Wigglers periodically (*) deflect these things that are kept circulating in storage rings, as seen at the Tevatron and LHC. A fixed target may be struck by—for 10 points—what collimated streams in particle accelerators?

answer: particle beams (accept particle collider(s) before "dumped"; prompt on "(particle) collider(s)" after "dumped" and before "rigidity"; before "streams," prompt on "(charged) particles" with "the particles are moving as part of what things?")
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

Daedalus wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:17 pm Could I see the tossup on particle beams, please? In particular, I'd like to know why "particle colliders" was promptable and "particle accelerators" wasn't, given that those terms are generally used interchangeably for "the larger apparatus in which particle beams are used."
Going back through the protests, I see two protests in DI on that tossup, and one of those was a buzz of "particle accelerators" at "rigidity." (The other protest was a different answer.) The accelerator protest was marked moot, and was never ruled on. I can't say for sure what our ruling would have been had we gotten to this one before it was marked moot, but I think we would have said "the moderator read the word 'rigidity' so we're no longer prompting on 'particle colliders', therefore we are also not prompting on 'particle accelerators'." (The other possibility, I think, is that we might have decided we'd still prompt on "particle colliders" for a buzz right at "rigidity" and therefore we would also prompt on "particle accelerators.") In short, I think we'd almost certainly treat "accelerators" and "colliders" the same for this question. Not including "accelerators" in the answer line (with the same instructions as for "colliders") was an oversight on our part.
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

The tossup on acrosome was very good and interesting. However, there's a hellish alternate universe where, in a nail-biting Finals 1 tossup 24, a knowledgable player hears "The protein IZUMO1 localizes to the membrane" and negs with sperm, with no prompt whatsoever. Also more importantly there's no prompt for Golgi apparatus (from which the acrosome derives), or plasma membrane, where IZUMO1 localizes after the acrosome reaction (at least I'm guessing it does since it has to bind to JUNO on the egg plasma membrane). I could do this better myself, but please make sure that your referent appears before any clues in a question if at all possible.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

Sima Guang Hater wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:54 pm The tossup on acrosome was very good and interesting. However, there's a hellish alternate universe where, in a nail-biting Finals 1 tossup 24, a knowledgable player hears "The protein IZUMO1 localizes to the membrane" and negs with sperm, with no prompt whatsoever. Also more importantly there's no prompt for Golgi apparatus (from which the acrosome derives), or plasma membrane, where IZUMO1 localizes after the acrosome reaction (at least I'm guessing it does since it has to bind to JUNO on the egg plasma membrane). I could do this better myself, but please make sure that your referent appears before any clues in a question if at all possible.
Yeah that would be really rough I'd really hope that knowledgeable players should also know the rules of the tournament they play in, such as NAQT's 13.d.i which states "If the player signaled prior to the end of the first sentence of the question, the response shall be evaluated as if the signal had occurred at the end of the first sentence. That is, a protest that an answer during the first sentence was “correct when the player buzzed” will be unsuccessful if the rest of the first sentence would have ruled out that answer, but will be successful if the rest of the first sentence failed to rule out that answer."

(Also it may be rough but given that later clues explicitly mention skipping the acrosome's function I don't think you can reasonably prompt on the Golgi apparatus after a certain point, also you cannot seriously tell me you expect anyone to have sympathy for an answer of (the plasma) membrane if someone has already heard the words "the membrane" Eric)
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Good Goblin Housekeeping wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:57 pm
Sima Guang Hater wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:54 pm The tossup on acrosome was very good and interesting. However, there's a hellish alternate universe where, in a nail-biting Finals 1 tossup 24, a knowledgable player hears "The protein IZUMO1 localizes to the membrane" and negs with sperm, with no prompt whatsoever. Also more importantly there's no prompt for Golgi apparatus (from which the acrosome derives), or plasma membrane, where IZUMO1 localizes after the acrosome reaction (at least I'm guessing it does since it has to bind to JUNO on the egg plasma membrane). I could do this better myself, but please make sure that your referent appears before any clues in a question if at all possible.
Yeah that would be really rough I'd really hope that knowledgeable players should also know the rules of the tournament they play in, such as NAQT's 13.d.i which states "If the player signaled prior to the end of the first sentence of the question, the response shall be evaluated as if the signal had occurred at the end of the first sentence. That is, a protest that an answer during the first sentence was “correct when the player buzzed” will be unsuccessful if the rest of the first sentence would have ruled out that answer, but will be successful if the rest of the first sentence failed to rule out that answer."
I'm familiar with the rule. That doesn't mean moving the referent earlier wouldn't produce a more easily playable question.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

Sima Guang Hater wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:22 am
Good Goblin Housekeeping wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:57 pm
I'm familiar with the rule. That doesn't mean moving the referent earlier wouldn't produce a more easily playable question.
I never disagreed with this claim, however based on character length constraints I'm under the impression it can be moved like, maybe at best 3 words ahead to go from "the membrane of this organelle" to "this organelle's membrane" which may be slightly better but is pretty minor (this would also make an additional clause in the lead-in sentence ungrammatical as a consequence)
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Good Goblin Housekeeping wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:49 amI never disagreed with this claim, however based on character length constraints I'm under the impression it can be moved like, maybe at best 3 words ahead to go from "the membrane of this organelle" to "this organelle's membrane" which may be slightly better but is pretty minor (this would also make an additional clause in the lead-in sentence ungrammatical as a consequence)
The original question wrote:The protein IZUMO1 localizes to the membrane of this organelle, which is structurally divided into an anterior segment and an equatorial segment.
Clocks in at 145 characters.

This organelle's membrane contains the protein IZUMO1. This organelle is structurally divided into anterior and equatorial segments. (132 char)

This organelle's membrane contains the protein IZUMO1, and it is structurally divided into anterior and equatorial segments. (124 char)

This organelle's membrane contains the protein IZUMO1, and is structurally divided into anterior and equatorial segments. (121 char)

This organelle's membrane contains the protein IZUMO1, which moves from its anterior segment to its equatorial segment. (119 char)

This organelle's membrane contains the protein IZUMO1, which moves from its anterior to its equatorial segment. (111 char)

This organelle's membrane contains the protein IZUMO1, which moves from its anterior to its equatorial segment before binding to JUNO. (134 char)

This organelle's membrane contains the protein IZUMO1, which relies on GLIPR1L1 to redistribute from its anterior to its equatorial segment. (140 char)
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

What were the conversion stats for the Peyton Place TU?
Em Gunter
Club President, University of Virginia
Tournament Director, 2023 Chicago Open
Assistant Tournament Director, 2022 and 2023 ACF Nationals

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
Important Bird Area

No conversion data available because it was in the backup packet.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

Important Bird Area wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:11 pm No conversion data available because it was in the backup packet.
Oh that makes sense lmao
Em Gunter

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I have mixed feelings tossing up such a thing--it's a culturally important thing (as a book, film, and TV show!), but I doubt there's a lot of knowledge in the field that needs gradating. Might have been better as a bonus part. Cool idea, though.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

What was the conversion data on packet 8 bonus 6?
Em Gunter

Important Bird Area

Four rooms heard that bonus- three zeroed it and the other one converted part C. (this was the bonus about dub poetry)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF