NASAT and CO Trash Mirrors at Valencia: August 27-28, 2022

Old college threads.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

NASAT and CO Trash Mirrors at Valencia: August 27-28, 2022

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Howdy all!

Valencia College will host mirrors of the IQBT NASAT set and Chicago Open Trash on Saturday, August 27, and Sunday, August 28. These are both open to any and all comers. Matches will be held at Valencia's West Campus in Building 9 (if you've ever played anything at Valencia, this is the usual place).

The NASAT Mirror registration fee is $50/team; CO Trash will cost $60/team.

If you're coming from out of town, I can probably offer couch or floor space (I have sleeping bags and comforters!) for the low rate of free at my home (space obviously somewhat limited, act now!).

Here is a team formation and free agents document. Please e-mail me directly at chrisdborglum at gmail dot com to register a team officially.

More details will be e-mailed to registered teams and players. We'd love to see you in brutally hot Orlando in late August!
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Re: NASAT and CO Trash Mirrors at Valencia: August 27-28, 2022

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Only two teams are currently signed up for the CO Trash mirror on August 28. Obviously if we don't get to at least 4, I reckon we'll bail on that one.
Chris Borglum
BabeRuthOfCollegeBowl
Kimahri

Post by BabeRuthOfCollegeBowl »

Chris, is this definitely Saturday only now, or what? Just making some plans. Thanks.
Brian
Brian Clouse, MIT 1980
"When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

We're up to five teams for the CO Trash mirror, so we'll definitely run it! So we're on for Saturday academic and Sunday trash.

I'll have more details here and in an e-mail to teams early next week.
Chris Borglum
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

We're currently at ten teams for the NASAT mirror (fantastic!) and seven for CO Trash (not ideal!). We have three free agents (Casey Bindas, Alan Kreisel, and De'eve Mendez) who would make an interesting eighth team for the latter, but we're casual, so we can see who all's there on Sunday morning. We can also place any NASAT free agents on Saturday morning, no worries.

Let's plan to all be in the atrium of Building 9 on Valencia's West Campus (1800 South Kirkman Road, Orlando) by 9 a.m. on both days. We should be ready to get going by 9:15 or so.

Though I understand the desire to maximize games played, right now I'm thinking for NASAT we'll have a 9-game RR, with a final if a team hasn't cleared the field by two wins. I had to twist arms for staffers, and I don't want those folks to have to stay past dinner time. However, we could read more packets informally after that for those who want more quiz bowl.

We'll do something similar on Sunday, but then for sure we're going to have some staff who won't want to stay late, so we'll figure it out.

I have two buzzers, but we'll need five, so please do bring yours. I'll have a cooler with water and soft drinks as well as some snacks. On Saturday we'll take a very short lunch break of like 40 minutes (get that fast food to go!). I'll talk to folks playing trash on Sunday about the possibility of ordering pizza for everyone for around $5 each to make lunch even faster.
Chris Borglum
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Hey, this happened, and a fine time was had by all. Congrats to The Eyes of Buc-ee's Are upon You (Tracy Mirkin, Jonathen Settle, Anthony Delgado, and Graham Cope) for crushing the field to win with a 10-0 record. Many thanks to all who came out, and especially to all who staffed. And of course thanks to the writers and editors of NASAT for use of a fine set of questions.

We'll get stats up when we get done defragging the floppy disk.
Chris Borglum
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Happily, I found the five-inch floppy under a pile of 1991 CBI questions, and the stats have been uploaded.
Chris Borglum