ROAR (RAFT III, Online, 6/5)

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
komododragon655
Wakka

ROAR (RAFT III, Online, 6/5)

Post by komododragon655 »

I am pleased to announce ROAR (the RAFT Open Academic Regular-Tournament), an OPEN, MIDDLE SCHOOL, mirror of RAFT III. It will be held on Sunday, June 5th, 2022. Teams may, but need not, be composed of players from different schools. Players must be in the high school graduating class of 2026 or later to play.

This tournament will be directed by me, Andrew Gao, of Chenery Middle School, and Cindy Gao of Belmont High School.

Set
We would like to thank the RAFT team for letting us mirror their high-quality set. RAFT III is a high school regular set, a bit harder than MSNCT and with longer questions. We will use 20 power-marked tossups and three-part bonuses. It is not advisable for novices to be playing this set.

Purpose
This tournament is aimed to serve rising high school freshmen for a final tournament in the middle school circuit.

Integrity Policy
Players will be required to show both hands on camera at all times. This can be achieved by buzzing with a separate device (like a phone), buzzing with a mouse, or having a second camera. Exemptions will be granted on a case-by-case basis.

Players will follow NAQT gameplay rules with small modifications.

Platform
This tournament will use Discord and buzzin.live. It is expected players have a computer capable of running Discord and a setup compliant with the integrity policy above.

Fees
$70 per team
-$30 per shorthanded (1-2 player) team
-$30 per staffer

Payment can be done via Venmo, Paypal, or by check. There will be a minimum fee of $0 per school. Teams who cancel without a legitimate reason after June 1st at 11:59 PM EDT or do not show up to the tournament must pay the full fee.

Registration
A team formation sheet is available here. TEAMS MUST EMAIL ME AT [email protected] TO OFFICIALLY REGISTER. Please include your roster (with grades) and team name. You may change your roster after registering. Once you receive a confirmation email from me, your team is officially registered.

The field cap is currently set to 8 teams. Registration will close on June 1st at 11:59 PM EDT.

Staff
All staff will be paid $30 for a full day of staffing (~8 hours). Staff may also request community service hours. EMAIL ME AT [email protected] IF YOU WANT TO STAFF!

Stats
Stats will be posted on HSQuizbowl and be updated as frequently as I can. There will be a Google Sheet sent out to all players with live to the game stats.

Questions
You may send any questions to [email protected] and/or [email protected].

We hope this tournament will be a fun sendoff to Quizbowl's rising freshmen!
Last edited by komododragon655 on Wed May 11, 2022 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Gao (he/him)
Chenery Middle School '23, Belmont High School '27
Pandruwu Sheetz, ex-MSQBRank
2022 MS IPNCT Finalist (3rd), 2022 MSNCT Finalist (2nd), 2023 MSNCT Champion
[email protected] | pandruwu on Discord
komododragon655
Wakka

Re: ROAR (RAFT III, Online, 6/5)

(Sorry, I posted this in the wrong category. If a mod could move it to middle school announcements that would be great)

Done - JP
Andrew Gao (he/him)
komododragon655
Wakka

Re: ROAR (RAFT III, Online, 6/5)

This tournament happened today. First, I should thank the editors of RAFT III for letting me use their set for a middle school open mirror. The staff that made this tournament happen, Sam Macchi and Cindy Gao (who was my awesome co-TD) deserve massive kudos.

"Negging Therapists" won the tournament, defeating "Hearts of Darkness" 340-250 in the second game of an advantaged final. "Road Less Taken" won in the third-place match 315-270 against "TX + Anthony." Thank you to the teams who played!

The top individual scorers after prelims were:
1. Sanjay Rajagopal (8)
2. Kate Ponnambalam (8)
3. Suhurrith Adhikari (8)
4. Anthony Zhao (8)
5. Pranavkrishna Bharanidharan (8)

Sivaneyan Vivekanandhan (8) won the power prize, going 14/6/6 in 6 rounds of prelims.

Full stats can be found here -> https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/ ... standings/ (Big thanks to Conor Thompson who did this stat report on Yellowfruit to reflect the actual finish order).

I hope this was a fun sendoff to middle school quizbowl's eighth graders! Have a great summer!
Andrew Gao (he/him)