General Discussion

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Bhagwan Shammbhagwan
Wakka

General Discussion

Post by Bhagwan Shammbhagwan »

Thanks for playing the 2017 Richard Montgomery-Beavercreek Collaborative Tournament!

If you have any questions regarding the set, please post here. We would love to hear feedback. You can request any questions if you'd like.

Richard Montgomery and Beavercreek split the questions about 50/50.

NOTE: Please do not disclose any question content outside of this thread until this set has been cleared on the archive, which will probably occur just before HSNCT.

With regards to complaints made by tournament directors at the MIT mirror: The writing team has reconciled all of the errors that have been notified to us. We hope that the set will run smoother in the upcoming mirrors.
Hari Parameswaran
Beavercreek High School '19
Georgia Tech '23
ACF, PACE
Berniecrat
Tidus

Re: General Discussion

Post by Berniecrat »

Can I see the Chile question?
Arjun Nageswaran
Aptakisic '17
Stevenson '21
Harvard '25
Bhagwan Shammbhagwan
Wakka

Berniecrat wrote:Can I see the Chile question?
It is not Peru, but this country’s city of Punta Arenas became a penal colony after the Mutiny of Cambiazo. Today it is a popular destination for tourists visiting Torres del Paine National Park. Alexander Selkirk was mutinied on this country’s Juan Fernandez Islands, and the Polanco Lift serves this country’s second largest city of (*) Valparaiso. In 1960, president Jorge Alessandri led relief efforts when this country was hit by the most powerful earthquake ever recorded. For 10 points, name this country on the Pacific coast of South America with capital at Santiago.
ANSWER: Chile
Hari Parameswaran
Georgia Tech '23
ACF, PACE
Berniecrat
Tidus

Post by Berniecrat »

This is probably a minor issue, but I buzzed in the clue on Punta Arenas and stated Costa Rica, as a capital of a province in Costa Rica is the similarly named Puntarenas. A person on the other team said he would have also negged on that clue. Could you provide more clarification perhaps in the question?
Arjun Nageswaran
Aptakisic '17
Stevenson '21
Harvard '25
db0wman
Wakka

Post by db0wman »

The music theory bonus about intervals didn't have "half-steps" or "minor 2nd" as acceptable equivalents for semitones, but they should all be right I think. Other than that, it felt like South Africa came up a lot, but I wasn't actually counting.
Dylan Bowman
Uni '20; Illinois '23
34 + P.J. Dozier
Wakka

Post by 34 + P.J. Dozier »

I played this set back in October, so it may have been fixed, but there was also a bonus part where "triplet" was not promptable for "hemiola," despite the bonus question describing a triple, which is a type of hemiola. It was not accepted in our room, but it was accepted in another room.
Wonyoung Jang
Belmont '18 // UChicago '22
ACF; NAQT; PACE
db0wman
Wakka

Post by db0wman »

Thiccasso's Guernthicca wrote:I played this set back in October, so it may have been fixed, but there was also a bonus part where "triplet" was not promptable for "hemiola," despite the bonus question describing a triple, which is a type of hemiola. It was not accepted in our room, but it was accepted in another room.
This happened to us too, and we played it two days ago.
Dylan Bowman
Uni '20; Illinois '23
csa2125
Lulu

Post by csa2125 »

Quick note: asking for "hemiola" in a bonus part is considerably too hard for a regular high school set.
Clark Smith
Scioto HS '18
Ohio State
Bhagwan Shammbhagwan
Wakka

Berniecrat wrote:This is probably a minor issue, but I buzzed in the clue on Punta Arenas and stated Costa Rica, as a capital of a province in Costa Rica is the similarly named Puntarenas. A person on the other team said he would have also negged on that clue. Could you provide more clarification perhaps in the question?
Thiccasso's Guernthicca wrote:I played this set back in October, so it may have been fixed, but there was also a bonus part where "triplet" was not promptable for "hemiola," despite the bonus question describing a triple, which is a type of hemiola. It was not accepted in our room, but it was accepted in another room.
I will make sure to let the editors know to fix these two things.
db0wman wrote:The music theory bonus about intervals didn't have "half-steps" or "minor 2nd" as acceptable equivalents for semitones, but they should all be right I think. Other than that, it felt like South Africa came up a lot, but I wasn't actually counting.
There was a lot of South Africa-related (as well as music theory) stuff in this set. We felt that though, since no information was repeated, that it was okay.
Hari Parameswaran
Georgia Tech '23
ACF, PACE
Jasconius
Lulu

Post by Jasconius »

Can I see the tossup on "6" in math? I was confused about the clue about dihedral group with this number being non-Abelian, as I was under the impression that D4 was also non-Abelian.
Matthew Siff
Georgetown Day School '20
Yale University '25
GBRodgers12
Wakka

Post by GBRodgers12 »

Curious Homunculus wrote:Can I see the tossup on "6" in math? I was confused about the clue about dihedral group with this number being non-Abelian, as I was under the impression that D4 was also non-Abelian.
Having this many people in a room guarantees that three of them either know or don’t know each other; that is known as Ramsey of three comma three. The smallest finite non-abelian group has this many elements, and this is the larger number in the first Ruth-Aaron Pair. This number appears in the denominator when one over n squared is summed from one to infinity. (*) This number divides pi squared in the Basel problem, and this is the smallest perfect number. A regular polygon can have at most this many sides and still tessellate a plane. For 10 points, identify this number of sides of a hexagon.
ANSWER: Six

The smallest finite non-abelian group has this many elements - so D3 is the group in question, which has 6 elements.
Joe Czupryn
Ohio Academic Competition Committee Executive Director
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont Assistant Coach 2008-2011
Northmont '08
Jasconius
Lulu

Post by Jasconius »

This makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
Matthew Siff
Georgetown Day School '20
Yale University '25
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Please archive this thread.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)