2022 Nationwide Novice Invitational

Post high school tournament announcements and results here, along with logistical information. Interest checks, opinions, and other in-depth discussion of tournaments should go in the forum below.
oriley
Lulu

2022 Nationwide Novice Invitational

Post by oriley »

Northfield Quizbowl is pleased to announce that we will be hosting an online, nationwide high school mirror of SCOP, a novice difficulty set, on Saturday, January 22, 2022. There will be an opening meeting at 8:45 AM Central, and games will begin at 9 AM Central.

This tournament will take place online over Zoom and Buzzin.live. Depending on field size, all teams will be guaranteed from eight to ten games.

This tournament will have two divisions. If you believe your team is most suited to play in the division they do not meet the criteria for, please email me at oriley1201 AT icloud DOT com. I will consider granting exceptions on a case-by-case basis. I maintain the right to move teams between divisions until the registration deadline, if the need be.

Experienced Division
Teams in this division should contain at least one player who is ineligible for the novice division. In general, this division should be made up of teams who are significantly more advanced than the average novice team.

Novice Division
All players on all teams in this division must meet all of the following criteria. To request an exception to this, please email me.

- Must not have scored 50+ points per game in a regular, academic quizbowl tournament. Novice tournaments do not count as “regular.”

- Must not have averaged two or more powers per game in a regular, academic quizbowl tournament. Novice tournaments do not count as “regular.”

- Must not have scored 25+ points per game on a team that won any division (experienced, normal, or novice) of an academic quizbowl tournament.

Novice teams should first see the list of regional sites mirroring this set. In particular, Minnesota teams are encouraged to attend the in-person site at Eden Prairie High School the same day, and Missouri teams are encouraged to attend the site at North Kansas City High School (also the same day).

Registration
To register to play this tournament, teams should fill out this form. Staffers should register by filling out this form. The field cap in each division will initially be set at 24 teams, but will expand if we have enough staffers.

The deadline to register to play this tournament is Tuesday, January 18, 2022. Teams who drop from the field after 8 PM Central on Thursday, January 20th will be required to pay the full fee. Please drop before the registration deadline if you need to drop.

Staffer pay - moderators will be paid $50. Scorekeepers will be paid $30. Staffers who alternate between the two will be paid $40.

Fees
Base fee: $70 per team
Staffer discount: -$40 per staffer
New-to-quizbowl discount: -$50 per team

The new-to-quizbowl discount is for schools who have not sent a team to a regular, academic quizbowl tournament since January 1, 2016. Knowledge Bowl, History Bowl, and outreach tournaments exclusive to novices do not count.

Cheating
To prevent cheating, all players will be required to have both of their hands and their screen in view of a camera. This may be easily accomplished with a second camera angle, or by buzzing on a phone. For this reason, unfortunately we will not be able to permit any camera exemptions. Those who have issues with Internet who wish to play this tournament might inquire as to whether their team can meet in-person in one location, such as a school classroom.

We have heard zero cheating accusations at all tournaments we have run, and we are eager to keep that streak intact.

Payment
Teams must email me their plan for payment at the latest by 10:00 PM central on Friday, January 21. I prefer PayPal, Venmo, or a check, but please reach out if you prefer a different payment method. My email is oriley1201 AT icloud DOT com.
Last edited by oriley on Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Owen Riley
Inver Hills ’23
Northfield coach
oriley
Lulu

Re: 2022 Nationwide Novice Invitational

Post by oriley »

The new-to-quizbowl discount is for schools who have not sent a team to a regular, academic quizbowl tournament since January 1, 2016. This post has been edited to reflect that fact.
Owen Riley
Inver Hills ’23
Northfield coach
nicole.
Wakka

Post by nicole. »

Field so far:

Experienced Division:
The Kinkaid School (TX) (1)
Beavercreek High School (OH) (1)
Georgetown Preparatory School (MD) (1)
Catlin Gabel School (OR) (1)
TAG Magnet High School (TX) (1)
Chattahoochee High School (GA) (2)
Troy High School (CA) (1)
Carmel High School (IN) (1)
The Lakeside School (WA) (1)
Hartley-Melvin-Sanborn High School (IA) (1)
Ravenscroft High School (NC) (1)
St. Mark's School of Texas (TX) (1)
Mississippi School of Math and Science (MS) (1)
Sidwell Friends School (DC) (1)
Total: 15/16

Novice Division:
Broadneck High School (MD) (1)
Phillips Academy (MA) (1)
Carmel High School (IN) (1)
River Hill High School (MD) (1)
Roseville Area High School (MN) (1)
Evans Lakeside High School (GA) (2)
Leesville High School (LA) (1)
Riverside High School (IA) (1)
John I. Burton High School (VA) (1)
North Cobb High School (GA) (2)
Landon School (MD) (1)
Beavercreek High School (OH) (1)
Wilde Lake High School (MD) (1)
Washington Latin School (DC) (1)
Catlin Gebel School (OR) (1)
Troy High School (MI) (1)
Green Hope High School (NC) (1)
TAG Magnet High School (TX) (1)
Northfield High School (MN) (1)
Wakefield High School (VA) (1)
Sioux City West High School (IA) (1)
Fort Walton Beach High School (FL) (1)
St Joseph Secondary School (ON) (1)
Chattahoochee High School (GA) (1)
Gould Academy (ME) (2)
Keystone School (TX) (2)
The Lakeside School (WA) (1)
Westchester Academy for International Studies (TX) (1)
St Thomas High School (TX) (1)
Windham High School (ME) (1)
Nansemond River High School (VA) (1)
Rancho Bernardo High School (CA) (1)
Total: 36/36

(teams in italics are new teams by our rules)
Last edited by nicole. on Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:59 pm, edited 35 times in total.
Nicole (Nic) Pruitt (she/her/they/them)

Founder of the Maine Quiz Bowl Alliance (MEQBA)
Bates College '25
Ridgewood '21
Director of Outreach, American Quizbowl League, and Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
oriley
Lulu

Post by oriley »

Answering some FAQs. There will be a logistics email sent out after the registration deadline covering all of this and more.

How many players on a team?
Up to four students may be playing at one time. Roster space is unlimited, but we recommend splitting into two teams if you have seven students or more. Alternates are allowed to substitute in between games, during halftime, or during a timeout (each team has one timeout per game).

My team only has three players. Are we allowed to play if we can’t find a fourth?
Yes. Many teams play with two or three players. A daring few even “solo” sometimes.

Can students from a school switch between teams during the tournament?
Short answer: no, never.

So the question is asking, if a school brings “A” and “B” teams, if a student can switch between those two teams during the tournament. This is never allowed. Schools must finalize each team’s roster before the tournament (don’t worry about this yet; this isn’t needed until Friday the 21st), and students on one team must remain on that team throughout the whole tournament.

What happens if the value of the discounts my school is eligible for exceeds the cost of the registration fee?
You pay me zero dollars.

When will the tournament end?
Probably between 4 and 5 PM central time. Almost certainly not later than that.

How will the schedule/format of the tournament work?
This will all go out in the logistics email, but I can cover it briefly here. In prelims, teams are seeded into pools of six. You play everyone else in your pool (five games). Based on your record in your prelim pool, you play playoffs (three games) against teams from other pools who did similarly. After playoffs, the top two teams play a one-game final, which all teams are welcome to spectate.

Will there be a break for my team(s) to eat lunch?
Yes. It will be at least 40 minutes long.
Owen Riley
Inver Hills ’23
Northfield coach
oriley
Lulu

Post by oriley »

On Sunday, we will decide whether to run the experienced division as planned or postpone it to another day (several teams dropped due to other conflicts).

The novice division will run as planned regardless of what happens with the experienced division.

When the novice division reaches the cap of 24, additional teams will be placed on a waitlist. The field will expand six teams at a time if we have enough staffers.
Owen Riley
Inver Hills ’23
Northfield coach
oriley
Lulu

Post by oriley »

The experienced division will run with a hard cap of 18 teams, as has always been planned.

The novice division will expand six at a time as staff availability allows. In no scenario will the novice division expand to more than 36 teams.

If your team has agreed to bring a staffer, the staffer must fill out the staffer registration form by Thursday evening at the latest.
Owen Riley
Inver Hills ’23
Northfield coach