Dwarf Planet Bowl (Wednesday evenings, Feb-Mar 2022, online)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
CPiGuy
Auron

Dwarf Planet Bowl (Wednesday evenings, Feb-Mar 2022, online)

Post by CPiGuy »

I am pleased to announce that I will be directing the Dwarf Planet Bowls, a series of short Wednesday evening online tournaments in February and March 2022. It will use the CERES set (head-edited by myself), a middle school / high school novice set.

Eligibility
These tournaments are open to all middle schools (defined as 8th grade and below) that have not already played the CERES set, as well as all high schools. High school teams will be limited to players in 9th and 10th grade, and strongly encouraged to be limited to true novices -- experienced underclassmen are significantly better than the target audience of this set. If you have any questions about your eligibility, please contact me.

(Some schools contain both some of grades 9-12 and lower grades. If this describes your school, you may field a team combining middle schoolers and 9th-10th graders. This will be considered a high school team.)

If there are sufficiently many teams, the tournament will have separate MS and HS divisions. Otherwise, the MS and HS teams will compete together in one field.

Teams may play two of the tournaments: one on packets 1-5 and one on packets 6-10. (Packets 11 and 12 will be reserved as emergency backups for each, respectively).

Format
Each tournament will take place on a Wednesday evening, and will consist of 3-5 rounds of standard 20/20 tossup-bonus quizbowl. All teams will be guaranteed three rounds, and (format allowing) most teams not playing in finals will be done after four rounds. Games will start promptly at 5pm Central Time on each day.

All players will be expected to use video during all tournament matches unless they have specifically requested, and received, an exception from the tournament director (me).

Tournament Dates and Platforms

February 2 -- Packets 1-5, Discord

February 16 -- Packets 6-10, Discord

March 9 -- Packets 1-5, Zoom

March 23 -- Packets 6-10, Zoom

*The Zoom tournaments may be moved to Discord if I cannot obtain the appropriate Zoom credentials to run the tournament smoothly; this will be announced at least a week in advance of the first tournament. Zoom tournaments will also use Discord for back-end communication with coaches, etc., as Zoom does not support instant messaging chatrooms of the kind which enable a smooth tournament.

Conduct
I am committed to keeping quizbowl a safe place for all participants. Misconduct, cheating, and other forms of misbehavior are not tolerated and I reserve the right to remove players if they commit such acts. Players will be expected to abide by the PACE Code of Conduct and can avail themselves of the quizbowl misconduct form, in addition to reporting misconduct to me or other tournament officials.

I will also note that playing without a camera and exhibiting behaviors suggestive of cheating will place you under extreme suspicion.

Fees
The entry fee for each Dwarf Planet Bowl tournament will be $32 per team. A $5 discount will be extended to teams which play two tournaments.

Registration
In order to register, fill out this form. If you wish to play two tournaments, please fill out the form twice. No other method of registration will be accepted. The field cap will be 16 teams per division per tournament.

Staff
Staffers will be paid $10 for each day they staff. You can sign up to staff one or both days by filling out this form.

Field updates will be available at the post for this tournament in the MS forum.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database