Longhorn Invitational Tournament Errata

Old college threads.
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Longhorn Invitational Tournament Errata

Post by Father of the Ragdoll »

Please post any typos, packetization errors, formatting errors, feng shui issues, etc in this thread
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
The University of Texas at Austin - Ph.D. Human Development and Family Sciences, 202X; M.S. Social Work, 2021
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - B.S. Psychology, 2019
Rockford Auburn High School - 2015
mico
Lulu

Re: Longhorn Invitational Tournament Errata

Post by mico »

The placement of the "Balkan Peninsula" tossup in, I believe, packet 3 could have been improved. Being the final history tossup in the packet, it was clearly on European history. By using the indicator of "this peninsula," the answerline space was immediately restricted to either Iberia, the Balkans, or, to a lesser extent, Scandinavia or Jutland. Moving the tossup earlier in the packet could go a long way in improving the Feng Shui or possibly changing the indicator.
Grant Peet
North Carolina '20, '22
tusk of gullinbursti
Kimahri

Post by tusk of gullinbursti »

I don't know if this goes here or in the other thread, but: in terms of the overall history distribution, I can't recall a single history tossup that either had a woman as an answerline or was themed around women. If I'm mistaken, please correct me, but the sheer fact that there weren't enough for me to remember any seems like a problem.
Tasis (they/them)
Georgetown Day School '22

[email protected]
cwasims
Wakka

Post by cwasims »

"Z-statistic" should be accepted for the "z-score" question - that term also appears on several reputable websites that discuss the concept (and anecdotally I have heard it referred to that way).
Christopher Sims
University of Toronto 2T0
Northwestern University 2020 - ?
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Post by Father of the Ragdoll »

cwasims wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:24 pm "Z-statistic" should be accepted for the "z-score" question - that term also appears on several reputable websites that discuss the concept (and anecdotally I have heard it referred to that way).
Thank you for pointing this out, more alternative answers have been added.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
The University of Texas at Austin - Ph.D. Human Development and Family Sciences, 202X; M.S. Social Work, 2021
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - B.S. Psychology, 2019
Rockford Auburn High School - 2015
Gene Harrogate
Wakka

Post by Gene Harrogate »

One of my teammates mentioned that Annie Leibovitz's photograph of a nude Demi Moore was on a 1991 cover of Vanity Fair, not Vogue. That's a pretty important mistake to fix considering it's right before the FTP, and I doubt she was the only one to get unfairly negged.
Henry Atkins
ex-McGill
cwasims
Wakka

Post by cwasims »

I'll post this here since I think it's basically a mistake: the bonus on Portugal in pack 10 claims that King John of England has the regnal name "John I" which I do not believe is correct: certainly Wikipedia does not list the name "John I" anywhere in the article on King John and I have never heard him referred to as such. This should probably be changed to a bonus part on John, which I think would essentially preserve the question without being misleading.
Christopher Sims
University of Toronto 2T0
Northwestern University 2020 - ?
db0wman
Wakka

Post by db0wman »

The tossup on electrons has a directed prompt on fermions with "which component?", which doesn't make any sense.
Dylan Bowman
Uni '20; Illinois '23
Snom
Lulu

Post by Snom »

The tossup on cymbals allows for a prompt on "drums" despite "bass drum" being clued in the TU (the other team converted it off of this prompt after power). Not sure if this is a mistake or not, but thought I should mention it.
Albert Zhang
Columbia '24
State College '16-'20
zxc
Lulu

Post by zxc »

Bonus 18 of packet 12 claims that Benvenuto Cellini was commissioned by Pope Francis I.
Walter Zhang
Vestavia Hills 19
Brown 23, 23
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

Zerowaltz wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:56 pm Bonus 18 of packet 12 claims that Benvenuto Cellini was commissioned by Pope Francis I.
Well that would be a "my bad" on my part, it now correctly just says Francis I.
Ryan Humphrey
UT Austin (Cell & Developmental PhD Program, 2018-?)
Duke University (Biology and History, Class of 2018)
George Washington High School (Charleston, WV, Class of 2014)
Former PACE Member (2017-2019)
AGoodMan
Rikku

Post by AGoodMan »

Round 13 wrote: 4. ... Leaders who retired to monasteries during this period engaged in “cloistered rule”.
ANSWER: Heian <BM, World History>
This clue is not uniquely identifying, as emperors abdicated and became cloistered all the way until the 1600s.
Jon Suh
Wheaton Warrenville South High School '16
Harvard '20
Liarr
Lulu

Post by Liarr »

AGoodMan wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:48 pm
Round 13 wrote: 4. ... Leaders who retired to monasteries during this period engaged in “cloistered rule”.
ANSWER: Heian <BM, World History>
This clue is not uniquely identifying, as emperors abdicated and became cloistered all the way until the 1600s.
If this is an issue, the period from 1086 to 1185 is sometimes called the insei jidai (rule by retired emperors), so that could be a way of making it uniquely identifying. Another way to do so would be to mention Emperor Shirakawa as the most famous example of such a retired emperor.
Lia Rathburn
Eric Hamber Secondary School '16
Langara College '18
University of British Columbia '20, '23

"I've decided I'm going to retire from playing to card full-time." - Milan Fernandez
db0wman
Wakka

Post by db0wman »

Not necessarily an "error," but the tossup on monopoles refers to the physicist Blas Cabrera Navarro as "Blas Navarro." He is generally referenced as "Blas Cabrera" in the articles I have found online.
Dylan Bowman
Uni '20; Illinois '23
elyne road
Lulu

Post by elyne road »

tossup 15 of packet 6 is numbered as "15. 9.," which i assume is just a copy error
S. A. Shenoy (they/them)

Georgia Tech 2024
Charter School of Wilmington 2019
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

Mea culpa for not pointing this out when I played the set, but the Versos Sencillos/Guantanamera/Cuba bonus refers to Guantanamera as the national anthem of Cuba, which it isn't.
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
vrohan
Wakka

Post by vrohan »

We heard a tiebreak tossup on Italy largely cluing Calvino (after round 7 ended), and then played a bonus a few rounds later (I think either 8 or 9) that had a part on Calvino. That's all that I remember regarding feng shui, but it seemed as though lots of categories, especially science, seemed to have tossups paired with bonuses in the same category. Maybe I'm misremembering, though.
Rohan Venkateswaran
UC Berkeley '24
Westview High '20
Black Mountain Middle '16

Co-Coach, Meadowbrook Middle 2017-2020

http://socalquizbowl.org
whatamidoinghere
Wakka

Post by whatamidoinghere »

I'm pretty sure A Thousand Splendid Suns is not the sequel to The Kite Runner (TU 8 Round 11).
Quinctilius Varus
Wakka

Post by Quinctilius Varus »

The wording in the Guantanamera bonus and kite running tossup has been adjusted. While not optimal, the mentions of Calvino in the Italy tossup in tiebreakers and the mathematics in European lit bonus do not overlap in question content.
William Golden
University of Texas at Austin '22
whatamidoinghere
Wakka

Post by whatamidoinghere »

This is awfully minor but technically the sign Joseph Frederick held up was "BONG HiTS 4 JESUS" rather than "BONG HITZ 4 JESUS." It also seems like in general there was a lack of alternate answers that included local country names/foreign language names at least in the packets I've read through so far.
Ehtna
Lulu

Post by Ehtna »

In the Mary Shelley tossup in Packet 9, Robert Walton's expedition does not discover Victor Frankenstein dead on an ice floe. They find him and his dead dog team stranded on an ice floe and nurse him back to health, during which time Frankenstein tells the main story of the novel. He dies when the monster kills him on the boat and runs away at the end of the book.
Ethan Ashbrook [he/him]
Minnesota '24
Northwestern ~'29
king_crimson
Lulu

Post by king_crimson »

Ehtna wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:10 am In the Mary Shelley tossup in Packet 9, Robert Walton's expedition does not discover Victor Frankenstein dead on an ice floe. They find him and his dead dog team stranded on an ice floe and nurse him back to health, during which time Frankenstein tells the main story of the novel. He dies when the monster kills him on the boat and runs away at the end of the book.
Yeah, I don't think Victor is found dead in the Antarctic, but the monster doesn't kill him either. Victor dies a couple days after explaining his story, afterwhich the monster later finds his body and vows to end his ways and his life. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Justin Chen
Langley HS 2018-2019
TJHSST 2022
permanently retired