ANNOUNCEMENT: Early Fall Tournament at Brown (10/07/06)

Old college threads.
grapesmoker
Sin

ANNOUNCEMENT: Early Fall Tournament at Brown (10/07/06)

Post by grapesmoker »

It's getting close to the start of the school year, so I figured I'd go ahead and announce that Brown University will be one of the sites to host the Early Fall Tournament that is being written by myself, Seth Teitler, and Ryan Westbrook.

Fee schedule:
Base fee: $80
Buzzer discount: -$10
Travel discount: -$10 per 200 miles traveled
Minimum fee: $60

To register, please email me at jerry_v at brown dot edu (or jerry_v at physics dot brown dot edu) and tell me how many teams and buzzers you are bringing.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
NotBhan
Rikku

Post by NotBhan »

Does 07/10/06 indicate October 7th?
"Keep it civil, please." -- Matt Weiner, 6/7/05
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

What's the target difficulty level of this tournament? Standard early fall (ACF Regionals, TIT) level stuff?
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Err, I mean ACF Fall, not ACF Regionals.

Is there any reason there isn't an edit button? Or am I just not able to find it?
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

NotBhan wrote:Does 07/10/06 indicate October 7th?
Yes, sorry if that's not clear.
ikillkenny wrote:What's the target difficulty level of this tournament? Standard early fall (ACF Regionals, TIT) level stuff?
You can take a look at the information in the original announcement Seth posted, but the short version is that we're shooting for something on the order of ACF Fall. It may even be a little easier, as our goal is to have a tournament that's accessible to players making the high-school/college transition.
Jerry Vinokurov
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

grapesmoker wrote:You can take a look at the information in the original announcement Seth posted, but the short version is that we're shooting for something on the order of ACF Fall. It may even be a little easier, as our goal is to have a tournament that's accessible to players making the high-school/college transition.
As opposed to ACF Fall, which does nothing of the sort?
Eric Kwartler
Alumnus, University of Texas School of Law
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

ekwartler wrote:As opposed to ACF Fall, which does nothing of the sort?
Clearly this is what I, as a former ACF editor, meant to imply :roll:

The wording is perhaps awkward but the two clauses are not causally connected. The point is not that ACF Fall doesn't do this, as it clearly does. The point is that EFT does it too.
Jerry Vinokurov
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

The 2006 edition of the Early Fall Tournament took place at Brown today. 10 teams played a full round robin and then were broken into a top and bottom bracket; however, halfway through the brackets, some teams started to leave, resulting in all sorts of confusing scheduling. Therefore, the somewhat odd results you see in the standings (i.e. number of games played varies widely across the field) should be considered in light of that.

First, congratulations to the Yale A team of Mike Wehrman, Brett Lazer, Andrew Uzzell, and Alex (sorry, don't know your last name) for taking first by coming from one game down to take the best-of-three series against Rutgers. Top scorers included Mike Wehrman, Bobby Liu of MIT A, Jason Keller of Rutgers, David of Williams, and Kevin Costello of Rutgers. Stats can be found here

Thanks to all those who came out to play, and thanks especially to Steve Watchorn, without whose generous help we would have been desperately hard up for an experienced moderator. As you all know, a mirror of this event is happening on the 14th, so please refrain from discussing questions until that event has taken place. If you would like to give feedback to any of us (myself, Ryan Westbrook, Seth Teitler, and Selene Koo) please email us.