QQBC is looking for staffers!

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
andyzh
Lulu

QQBC is looking for staffers!

Post by andyzh »

QQBC is looking for staffers for summer 2021! Staffers will get significant experience doing a variety of things, ranging from running marketing campaigns to writing code, gaining real experience which looks great on future applications (college apps too -- building a summer camp looks incredible!).

More information can be found on our website (https://www.qqbcamp.com/staffing). If you have any other questions, please email [email protected].

To apply please fill out this form (https://forms.gle/RV375HE8jmT3e4CdA) and email your resume to [email protected].

We look forward to seeing your applications!

The QQBC Team
Andy Zhu
CVHS '20 Brown '25
QQBC Founder
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Re: QQBC is looking for staffers!

Post by Ciorwrong »

In the interest of transparency, you should have this payment detail higher on the page if you are advertising a full time job.
the website wrote:Yes! You will be paid a proportion of however much money QQBC makes based on how much you work. The better job that everyone does, the more money everyone can make. For reference, staffers who worked both sessions of QQBC 2020 made a bit shy of $1000.
$1000 for a full time summer job is pretty awful and I hope people know that going in. Do you have any calculation on how much staffers made per hour? Hourly wage seems like an important detail. Why are full time staffers paid out of how much money this nebulous company makes instead of at least guaranteed a minimum wage? This salary scheme seems dubious at best and I'd advise applicants to ask for a salary and employment contract.

You are also kinda unclear on this detail:
The program will run from mid-February through late July. Other than staffing the two weeklong sessions (dates TBD), staffers will be helping with preparatory work. The preparatory workload is easily manageable while also completing school or while participating in other summer activities.
What is the time commitment for during the school year? Information like "the workload is easily manageable" is vague and does not allow applicants to adequately compare your job to other employment options.

Additionally, what is the employment status of this company? Are you a charity or a company that will provide employees with a W-2 at the end of FY 2021? Are employees going to be independent contractors or paid under the table via Venmo? (don't do this!) If employees are independent contractors, are you aware that quizbowlers from California can not staff this event? Your about us page is about your quizbowl qualifications but contains no information on this company.

All these questions should be answered before applicants seriously consider applying to this position. I'm probably too old and bad at quizbowl to be interested in this position but I think they are all fair questions that should be asked in advance. It's frankly a little disconcerting these basic questions are not in the FAQ on the website.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
andyzh
Lulu

Post by andyzh »

Hi Harris, thanks for the questions, I'd be happy to clarify!

1. It's not a full summer job. The only time that staffers would be working full time (ie all day) is during the actual sessions of camp, and I intend to hold 2 sessions, so only two weeks. The other work is prep work, mainly marketing stuff (like posting things on Instagram, sending emails, etc) although I'm considering a limited housewrite (very dubious though right now). Much of the legwork like compiling email lists has already been done so I would estimate perhaps 3 hours a week on the busy weeks, which tend to be rare; this summer there were several weeks when staffers didn't need to do anything.

2. Perhaps I wasn't clear in the nature of the program so I will try to clarify. It's not a company for one, more like if I were to find friends and we mowed lawns over the summer. With the lawnmowing analogy, I would split the money earned with the friends I'm working with. Similarly, we split the money earned. It's not really meant for college age and older who need a real job, mainly for high school juniors/seniors.

3. I found that I gained a lot from running the camp and thought I could help others who are applying for college still, since running a quiz bowl camp looks good. The way it would be structured the staff would largely make decisions with help from me since I've run it before.

I think that addresses yoru questions. My goal is to help people out by providing a cheaper digital quiz bowl camp option while also giving high schoolers some good resume material for college apps. If there's a problem with it though, please do let me know so I can look into it.
Andy Zhu
CVHS '20 Brown '25
QQBC Founder
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

I'm glad you added some additional transparency. I actually did mow yards for three summers in high school and found that experience far more rewarding than anything I've done in quizbowl. If anyone wants to talk about old Lawn Boys from the 70s-90s, hit me up.

I don't believe there is a perfect isomorphism between lawn mowing and this, but I can see what you are saying. At the same time, I think it's important to notify students that the pay in quizbowl is incredibly meager on a per-hour basis. It was good that you clarified the time commitment you were asking for. As long as parents are aware of the structure of your business and the employees you are bringing on, I think this seems fine. To better this, having the information you posted more visible on your website seems like a good idea. This type of job offer seems more akin to a casual quizbowl writing gig than a true camp councilor program, and I hope everyone who is applying--and the parents involved--is acutely aware of this distinction.

I'm not a labor attorney so don't listen to what me or anyone else without a legal background has to say on the legal ramifications of what you are saying or doing.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired