Vanity Insanity: A Guerrilla Secret Santa Event for Charity

Old college threads.
meebles127
Tidus

Vanity Insanity: A Guerrilla Secret Santa Event for Charity

Post by meebles127 »

Hello. I am pleased to announce Vanity Insanity: A Guerrilla Secret Santa Event. All proceeds from this event will go to support The Trevor Project, an organization that supports suicide prevention efforts for LBGTQ+ youth. The Trevor Project runs a hotline, as well as an online chat and text service for LBGTQ+ youth who are in need of support in times of crisis or otherwise. All services provided by The Trevor Project are confidential. This event will cost 12 dollars for each player who does not submit a distribution and packet. If you submit a distribution and 20/0 packet you may play this event at no cost. I do recommend; however, that people who write still donate to this cause.

Format: Each person interesting in writing for this event will submit their own 20/0 vanity packet distribution to me and in turn will receive the distribution that someone else submitted. Writers will not be informed of the creator of their distribution and are asked to refrain from discussing the distribution they receive until after the set is clear. I want this to be as similar to Secret Santa as possible. Distributions may be academic, trash or both in nature. I do ask that you refrain from being overly specific when creating your distribution. While "Plasma Physics" is acceptable "The 1980 Olympic Hockey US v Finland Game" is not. Please use your best judgment when creating your distribution, remembering that I reserve the right to send back distributions that are obnoxiously specific. If you submit a distribution, the expectation is that you will write the distribution that you receive.

Submissions: People who wish to submit should first email me at egunter127 AT gmail DOT com with your distribution. I ask that all distribution be submitted to me by February 29, 2020 in order to provide people with ample time to write. Your distribution must be submitted as a google sheet linked within the email you send me. I have provided a sample distribution here that I created (this distribution will not be used). Please follow this format in your google sheet. Additionally, I ask that you include "Vanity Insanity" in the subject of your email. Writers will receive their distribution on or before March 5, 2020.

I am hoping to have at least 8 people contribute though I would love to have more. I do ask that people write and develop their distributions alone to keep this in the spirit of Secret Santa

Each packet will consist of 20 tossups only and I will not be cutting questions. I will only be editing packets for grammar and clarity. As I am leaving the country for about two weeks this summer I ask that all submissions be sent to me by June 25, 2020 so I can have enough time to clean things up before my trip. Submissions are due July 5, 2020. Submissions are due July 17, 2020.

Tossups are to be at least six lines Times New Roman size 10 font and no more than nine lines. Please powermark your tossups.

Special thanks to Sam Brochin for coming up with the name Vanity Insanity. I'm hoping to get some great submissions and that we can give a large amount of money to a great cause.
Last edited by meebles127 on Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:07 am, edited 8 times in total.
Em Gunter
Club President, University of Virginia
Tournament Director, 2023 Chicago Open
Assistant Tournament Director, 2022 and 2023 ACF Nationals

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
meebles127
Tidus

Re: Vanity Insanity: A Guerrilla Secret Santa Event for Charity

Post by meebles127 »

This post is reserved for committed packets. If you want to mirror this, please send me an email with the date of your event and "Vanity Insanity Mirror" in the subject. I will allow this to be mirrored until December, 2020 so this can be run after Fall 2020 events if desired. Additionally, if interest exists I would be willing to run a discord mirror of this event as well. Please see below.

Writers:

Jamie Faeder
Rudra Ranganathan
Conor Thompson
Lalit Maharjan
James Hadley
Jeff Xie
Taylor Harvey
Auroni Gupta
Zach Foster
Connor Mayers
Rahul Rao
Doug Graebner
Vishwa Shanmugam
Alex Dzurick
Erik Christensen
Ryan Rosenberg
Michael Borecki
Justine French
James Lasker
Eric Mukherjee
Tejas Raje
Finn Bender
Nick Jensen
Kenji Shimizu
Harris Bunker
Last edited by meebles127 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:54 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Em Gunter

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

This post is reserved for Mirrors:
Em Gunter

meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

With just a few days left before distribution submissions for Vanity Insanity are due I'd like to make some clarifications regarding questions that have been asked.

First of, excessive means a few things. This includes having topics that are way too specific, more than 4/0 of any single category, too much of a semi-specific category, as well as not enough variety in general. If you are feeling wary about this please send me your distribution and we can discuss it if necessary. This is a determination being made by me but I am willing to listen to the input of others. Additionally, "your choice" categories are banned and if you submit one I will ask you to classify it as something else. Many people have asked me if "meta" would be allowed and I have decided to allow 2/0 "meta" per distribution should you choose to include it. Finally, it is very important that you not discuss the content of the questions you ultimately end up writing as well as the categories of the distribution you submit and receive. In short, do not discuss ANYTHING specific about questions or distributions.

Updates to your distribution may be submitted until the deadline posted above.

Please make sure to follow the directions outlined in the original post. If you do not submit your distribution properly by the deadline you will be dropped.

Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions.
Last edited by meebles127 on Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Em Gunter

alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

OK, this is a really great idea and a cause near and dear to my heart. I want to encourage folks to participate in writing for this, so I would like to contribute $5 per writer of this set, up to a total of $125. I'm looking at the list right now (~11:15 pm ET, 2/24) and there are 14 writers, plus my submission makes 15. That means 10 more writers should volunteer to do this to max out my contribution!
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

All distributions have been sent out to writers. If you committed to write for this set and did not receive an email from me please reach out to me and we can resolve the issue. As a reminder, treat your distribution, and the distribution you received as unclear set content.

I'd also like to give a special thank you to Alex Dzurick for committing to donate $5 per writer up to $125 to The Trevor Project. With 26 writers we exceeded Alex's donation cap and The Trevor Project will be receiving $125.
Em Gunter

alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Let's just make it a nice even $5 per writer and call it $130. :grin:

I'm very pleased to be able to make this contribution on behalf of all the writers who signed up for this!
Alex Dzurick
====
====
meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, I've had to make some decisions regarding Vanity Insanity. As it currently stands I still plan to make this event happen, however, I am moving back the writing deadline to July 5th because my out of the country travel has been canceled. Additionally, this will make the first available mirror date July 11, 2020.

I'm also planning on running a Discord mirror of this set at some point this summer as opposed to in the fall to give people the opportunity to play the set in the event summer side event weekends are canceled. Expect a survey to come out about a date in a couple of months.

Finally, I am willing to allow this event to run in 2021 due to COVID cancellations. More details are to follow.

As always, if you have any questions please feel free to reach out to me.
Last edited by meebles127 on Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Em Gunter

alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

For the record, the $130 donation to the Trevor Project has been made! I'm sending confirmation to Emily now for her records as well.
Alex Dzurick
====
====
meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

I have decided that due to the events that have taken place over the last several weeks that there will not be an online mirror of Vanity Insanity held over the summer. It is very likely there will not be an online mirror of Vanity Insanity at all.

I apologize to anyone who was looking forward to playing this set over the summer who may not be able to now due to the pandemic. I still want this set to happen, I want it to be played, and I want to raise money for a good cause. Unfortunately, at this time, I am not comfortable with running this set online.

I will allow mirrors to happen in the fall of 2020 and into 2021 if desired. Depending on how the pandemic plays out this may become a side event at some nationals tournament next year. There is too much up in the air right now to make any specific determinations, however. Directors of summer side event weekends as well as anyone else wishing to run this set in the future may contact me to discuss details.

Again, I am sorry to those who were looking forward to playing this set this summer.
Em Gunter

meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

Writers have been emailed a survey. If you are writing for Vanity Insanity please check your inbox and fill out the surveys in the email. If you are writing for this set but did not receive an email from me, please reach out to me.
Em Gunter

ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Are submissions still due next Sunday?
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

As of right now, I am pushing back the submission deadline to July 17th. Considering the global health situation I am still trying to decide what to do with the tournament which I will do within a week. Please stay tuned.
Em Gunter

meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

Sorry, it took more than a week to respond to the reply above this post. Life has been hectic and quizbowl has not been at the top of my priority list.

Due to COVID-19, Vanity Insanity was not able to happen as originally planned. I have been hesitant to allow an online mirror to occur but I will consider it if it is the majority opinion. This does not guarantee that if it is the majority opinion it will happen online this summer/fall.

In the survey below please indicate if you are a writer or a player and what your preference is for it to be played. Additionally, if you are a writer there is a question about the date of the submission deadline that I kindly ask you to answer.

The survey can be found here.

EDIT: It was brought to my attention that the "intended player" or "writer" question made it seem like writers could not play other packets. This is not the case. I have added a "both" option. If you have already submitted a response and it will not allow you to submit another one, please contact me and I will delete the original response.

EDIT 2: I have also sent out an email to all writers for this project. If you have not received an email from me please reach out to me so I can pass along the information.
Em Gunter

meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

If you would like your thoughts taken into consideration with regard to this project moving forward, please respond to the survey by 2359 TONIGHT. I will be making a decision On the 11th or 12th.
Em Gunter

meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

I have decided to try to run this event in-person, at 2021 Nationals Events, if they happen. Which specific events are to be determined later in the year/what we know about if they are happening. If they do not happen due to the pandemic this event will either be run online or at summer side event weekends. If at all possible I want this tournament to be played in person. But, of course, it is impossible to put this event on hold forever. If 2021 Nationals do not happen I will make a decision based on whether or not it looks like Summer Side Event weekends will happen. 

The new submission deadline is January 1, 2021.

I really, really, want to be able to make this tournament happen in person so people can have a ton of fun and we can raise a great deal of money for a very good cause (for those who don't remember, all proceeds from this tournament will be going towards TheTrevorProject). I offer my greatest thanks to everyone who has decided to write for this, I truly believe in the cause and I'm hoping that we are able to do a lot of good. 

I'm open to fielding any questions that anyone has about this email along with clearing up any details. Feel free to reach out to me on whatever platforms you know how to.
Last edited by meebles127 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Em Gunter

meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

Ignore the current submission deadline. I still want this to happen, and I will be sending out an email soliciting people's input within the next ten days.
Em Gunter

meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

Do people still care about this? If people still want this to happen I can work to make it happen.
Em Gunter