CALISTO Academic Tournament (Discord, March 22nd) [TX Only]

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
micromegas
Kimahri

CALISTO Academic Tournament (Discord, March 22nd) [TX Only]

Post by micromegas »

Hi everyone!
In light of the national health crisis and the community's hunger for competition, we are pleased to announce that we will be hosting a closed high school online mirror of CALISTO over Discord for Texas! Details are below:

Time + Date
CAT will take place on March 22nd, 2020 from 9 AM CST to around 5-6 PM CST.
Online registration will be open immediately.
All players should be logged on and ready to play by 8:45 AM CST.

Questions/Format
This event will be held using CALISTO, a HS Regs difficulty set, about which specific information can be found here.

Teams will be seeded into preliminary brackets, followed by a reseeded playoffs. All teams will be guaranteed 11 rounds, and are expected to play the entire time even if not in contention for the championship.

The field will be capped at 12 teams.

Teams
Teams will be allowed to have up to 6 players, and substitutions are allowed only at the half. Teams from the same school may not be scrambled in the middle of the tournament, and there will be a maximum of 2 teams from each school.

As this is a closed high school mirror, all teams must be from the same school, with no exceptions. Rosters should be submitted by 12 PM CST on Friday, March 20. Any cancellations should be made by that time as well.

Fees
The fee for this tournament will be as follows:
-$60 base fee per team
-$50 for any teams made up of only 1 or 2 players

Payment can be made through either Venmo or Paypal. If your team is unable to pay through these methods, please contact us using the information at the bottom of this post.

Registration
To register, either fill out this Google form or email [email protected] with the following information:
-School (along with any pseudonyms)
-Number of teams
-Email address where we can contact you

Statistics
All results and statistics will be posted within 48 hours of the conclusion of this event on hsquizbowl.org.

Additional Information
Contact us at [email protected] for any further questions!

Disclaimer
Jisoo Yoo will be involved in the setup of this tournament, but will also be playing on the team for TAG Magnet. To ensure integrity, sets will be sent directly to a third-party tournament director and he will not have any sort of access to the questions until they are heard in-tournament. Schedules and seeds will also be decided by previous statistics so as to avoid any sort of team bias.
The moderators and tournament directors reserve the right to require any sort of anti-cheating device for any team who registers and plays, which may include but is not limited to screen-sharing and an open mic.
Last edited by micromegas on Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jisoo Yoo
TAG Magnet '21
University of Texas at Austin '24
Arras Agility
Wakka

Re: CALISTO Academic Tournament (Discord, March 21st)\

Post by Arras Agility »

The CALISTO team would like to clarify that this is a closed regional mirror - i.e. only Texas teams will be allowed to play. To accomodate other teams, we may have future online mirrors restricted to teams from other regions, a general online mirror, and possibly in-person sites for the 2020-2021 season.
Alistair Gray
Homestead '18
UCSD '22
entropy
Wakka

Post by entropy »

Why is the fee for this tournament so high? $60 fees are the standards for college sets, where the mirror fees are $40+. I don't see the need to charge such a high amount for a high school set like CALISTO with a $10 mirror fee.
karan
utexas
TheScientists
Lulu

Post by TheScientists »

entropy wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:15 pm Why is the fee for this tournament so high? $60 fees are the standards for college sets, where the mirror fees are $40+. I don't see the need to charge such a high amount for a high school set like CALISTO with a $10 mirror fee.
WAIT Online is $60 per team
BHSAT Online (TU only) is $75 per team
JBB Online is $65 per team
BLAST Online is $60 per team
Island Cup Online is $75 per team
RAFT Online is $60 per team

Moral of the story: This is on the lowend for current online mirror prices of HS tournament sets.
TheScientists
Lulu

Re: CALISTO Academic Tournament (Discord, March 21st/TX-ONLY)

Post by TheScientists »

Field Update (as of 3/15/2020):
TAG Magnet (2 Teams)
Plano West (2 Teams)
St. Marks (2 Teams)
Coppell
Strake Jesuit

The new Google Form for signup is linked here.

Unfortunately due to CALISTO's insistence on having "regional online mirrors", attempting to get irl events hosted during a pandemic, and possibly opening the set to be mirrored for the saturated 2020-21 season, this will be TX-Only (the permission granted for the IRL version that was cancelled). In light of this update, I won't be playing the set and along with my initial involvement of making the server, I will be moderating and assisting in ensuring this mirror runs smoothly and all players have a great experience.

(UPDATE: A closed national mirror is slated to be run by CALISTO around May of this year.)
For non-TX teams who signed up, I am really sorry that this is where we are. Hopefully we'll get permission to run an unified online mirror in the next month or so for those who weren't able to play the set this year (due to a cancellation/postponement, not having a nearby mirror, or because they weren't able to attend their local mirror due to other commitments). From my end, I will do whatever I can to lobby for an unified online mirror of CALISTO this year because it ensures the set is played by as many teams as possible (who wouldn't have had the chance to do so) and it doesn't affect plans for postponed irl mirrors (such as ReKT).
Last edited by TheScientists on Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
whatamidoinghere
Wakka

Post by whatamidoinghere »

TheScientists wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:00 pm Unfortunately due to CALISTO's insistence on having "regional online mirrors", attempting to get irl events hosted during a pandemic, and possibly opening the set to be mirrored for the saturated 2020-21 season, this will be TX-Only (the permission granted for the IRL version that was cancelled). In light of this update, I won't be playing the set and along with my initial involvement of making the server, I will be moderating and assisting in ensuring this mirror runs smoothly and all players have a great experience.

For non-TX teams who signed up, I am really sorry that this is where we are. Hopefully we'll get permission to run an unified online mirror in the next month or so for those who weren't able to play the set this year (due to a cancellation/postponement, not having a nearby mirror, or because they weren't able to attend their local mirror due to other commitments). From my end, I will do whatever I can to lobby for an unified online mirror of CALISTO this year because it ensures the set is played by as many teams as possible (who wouldn't have had the chance to do so) and it doesn't affect plans for postponed irl mirrors (such as ReKT).
Can we please not have passive aggressive comments on a field update post? Thanks.

User was warned not to backseat mod--staff
Carlos Be
Wakka

Post by Carlos Be »

TheScientists wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:00 pm Unfortunately due to CALISTO's insistence on having "regional online mirrors", attempting to get irl events hosted during a pandemic, and possibly opening the set to be mirrored for the saturated 2020-21 season
These claims are false.

1. We are not opposed to a general online mirror. We are opposed to having you run it, since there is no reason that you should profit off of teams in other regions using questions you didn't write. We insist on having regional online mirrors to replace regional in-person mirrors, so that every cancelled mirror has an opportunity to host an online mirror.

2. We are not attempting to host IRL events. There are some IRL events that have not yet been officially cancelled. These will be dealt with, and would have been dealt with sooner had we not had to deal with the nonsense here that your incompetence has caused.

3. The set will not be mirrored during 2020-2021. Yes, we did consider extending the mirror date, as many sets have considered doing and many others have actually done. We are well aware of the issues that could arise by extending it which is why we decided some time ago that it would not be extended.
Justine French
she/her