QuizCo Equipment

Old college threads.
wrfarley
Kimahri

QuizCo Equipment

Post by wrfarley »

Hello!

I assist in running a yearly quiz event for college students for a professional organization. We've historically used a Quizco 4-team lockout buzzer system for our games, but this year the moderator's controller came up missing and I had to improvise with a cell-phone app. After doing what digging I could, it looks as though Quizco is no longer in business (or is on hiatus).

My question for the community, does anyone know where I can find a replacement controller? Or, if it is time for me to modernize our system, what would be the recommended system? We usually run 3 teams of 4, but we enjoy having the ability to expand to 4-teams.

Thanks for any assistance.
Will
Traffic Bowl Chair
Oregon Institute of Transportation Engineers
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Re: QuizCo Equipment

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

wrfarley wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:34 pm Hello!

I assist in running a yearly quiz event for college students for a professional organization. We've historically used a Quizco 4-team lockout buzzer system for our games, but this year the moderator's controller came up missing and I had to improvise with a cell-phone app. After doing what digging I could, it looks as though Quizco is no longer in business (or is on hiatus).

My question for the community, does anyone know where I can find a replacement controller? Or, if it is time for me to modernize our system, what would be the recommended system? We usually run 3 teams of 4, but we enjoy having the ability to expand to 4-teams.

Thanks for any assistance.
This is the 4-team set I've seen used most in quiz bowl tournaments https://www.andersonbuzzersystems.com/e ... ystem.html, but we generally play in 2 teams of 4 or 5. Anderson's Officiator 10 model is in the most common use in tournaments in general, and their products are generally pretty high quality.
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

Jakob makes a great suggestion but if you're interested in exploring different types of systems to decide which is the best for you, here is a thread I wrote about selecting a buzzer system. I personally believe that the Andersons are the best buzzer system you can buy. They just happen to be the cheapest and most robust.
Em Gunter
Club President, University of Virginia
Tournament Director, 2023 Chicago Open
Assistant Tournament Director, 2022 and 2023 ACF Nationals

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

Ebay is a good place to look for buzzer parts.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

QuizCo was located in Boise (and is, as best as I can tell, out of business), and there are a few schools that have those buzzer systems. I can check and see if any of them aren't using them or have spare parts, but I think your best bet is just to get a new system.
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams