Guerilla Social Science (Fall 2020)

Old college threads.
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Guerilla Social Science (Fall 2020)

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Building on the success of last year's Guerilla History, I'm organizing a Guerilla Social Science tournament. I'll be doing the light editing and powermarking for this set and writing two or three editors' packets, possibly with the help of one of my Columbia teammates.

This tournament is designed to be played as a doubles tournament. All players who submit a packet may play this tournament for free; everyone else will pay $15. Players may collaborate with up to one other person on their packet and each collaborator should write at least two questions (both collaborators will play free). This is an honor system - please do not designate someone else a "contributor" to your packet if they don't write anything just so they get the discount.

Tournament directors should keep $10 per staffer to compensate their staff. All other proceeds should be sent by tournament directors to my Venmo account (@walston) or PayPal ([email protected]).

Submitted packets should contain questions of a high difficulty level (think around ICT, or last year's Guerilla event) but should include at least a few answers that would be appropriate at ACF Regionals or easier tournaments. Please put some real effort into your submissions and write tossups that are more than six lines long. Use your discretion with the selection of your most challenging answers and don't swing to extremes, e.g. cookie-cutter tossups on Marcel Mauss or questions on fourth-tier theorists. Nobody wants to play those at an event like this.

Submissions should be sent to the email associated with my PayPal account. They should be twelve tossup questions and consist of the following:

2 Economics
2 Psychology
1 Sociology
1 Anthropology
1 Linguistics
1 Politics-Adjacent (Poli Sci, IR, etc.)
1 Law
1 "Applied" - This can be any social science but should have to do with methodology, i.e. econometrics, etc.
2 Other Social Sciences - This is for you to experiment! Interdisciplinary questions are cool here, as are things that could be reasonably classed in multiple of the above categories. I encourage players to write at least one of these questions on a topic not covered above. Archaeology, historiography, and literary theory are acceptable here, as are topics like criminology, geography, etc.

The deadline for submitting will be some time in May. Three submissions will be combined to create each 30-question packet. Each final packet will have at least 2 questions from each subdistribution above, with at least 4 economics and 4 psychology questions. The final tournament will likely have a decent amount of per-packet distribution variance.

I am hoping to get at least 15 submissions for this tournament. Please indicate on this spreadsheet if you're planning to submit a packet. I'd love to see a ton of submissions as Social Science is a very broad field and the difficulty and tossup length should help us explore a lot of it.
Last edited by naan/steak-holding toll on Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Re: Guerilla Social Science (Terrapin Open Side Event)

Post by Ciorwrong »

I'm very excited for this. I'm not sure where if/when/where I'll play Terrapin Open, but regardless, I'm seeking a collaborator for this. I'd be interested in writing economics obviously and I have some spicy ideas in other categories saved up. Preferably, a collaborator could write any of law, linguistics, or neuroscience-adjacent things.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Bumping to encourage more people to sign up - I'd like to start writing soon and want to have some confidence that there will be enough submissions to work with.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I might be able to contribute a few questions but don't have time to write a full packet. Email me if you want to collaborate. Which I guess goes against the spirit of the rules here but this is a guerilla tournament after all.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Mike Bentley wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:30 pm I might be able to contribute a few questions but don't have time to write a full packet. Email me if you want to collaborate. Which I guess goes against the spirit of the rules here but this is a guerilla tournament after all.
Collaboration is encouraged!
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Hey folks - an update on this. I'm not sure it's going to be reasonable for me to try to make this work for Terrapin, given the current lack of people interested in submitting. I'd like to make this happen, but perhaps it's not reasonable to ask for people to submit to this at the same time as they are working on their Regionals and Nationals packets.

I'm going to push this to around HSNCT and PACE time as a fun side event to play there. Still going to need at least 15 total packets submitted (to combine into 5 packets).
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Cheynem
Sin

Re: Guerilla Social Science (HSNCT/Pace/Summer Side Event)

Post by Cheynem »

If this will be at HSNCT, I might be interested in playing if I can find a collaborator on a packet, particularly someone who knows econ and linguistics.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Re: Guerilla Social Science (HSNCT/Pace/Summer Side Event)

Note that packet submission isn't mandatory, it just lets you play for free.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Re: Guerilla Social Science (Fall 2020)

This tournament will be postponed until the fall of 2020 at the earliest.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16