BHSAT XXIX at Duke

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Inscrutable Fox
Lulu

BHSAT XXIX at Duke

Post by Inscrutable Fox »

Duke Quiz Bowl is pleased to announce a mirror of BHSAT XXIX on February 29, 2020. I will be tournament director and can be contacted at [email protected] with any questions. See this thread for further set details.

Location and Time:
This tournament will be held in the Classroom Building on Duke University’s East Campus in Durham, North Carolina. The opening meeting will be at 8:30 am and rounds will start as close to 9 am as possible. The Opening Meeting will be held in Classroom Building 103. See “Parking Information” below for parking recommendations.

Field Size:
This tournament’s field will have a field cap of 18 teams. Pending the acquisition of more staff, I will bump the cap to 24 teams, but it will not go higher. Once the cap is met, I will keep a waitlist.

Cost:
The cost of this tournament will be $75 per team.

Discounts:
Buzzer systems: $-5 per buzzer system
Experienced Staffer Discount: -$10 per staffer
Travel: -$10 per 150 miles travelled 1 way (your school to Duke, as per Google Maps) Discounts applied to “A” team until to minimum fee is reached.
Minimum Total Cost: $50 per team
New to Quizbowl: -$15 per team if school hasn’t played pyramidal Quizbowl since September 2015.

Payment:
We will accept cash or checks. Please make checks out to our treasurer, James Zhou, and bring checks with you the morning of the tournament. Anyone with inquiries regarding payment information should reach out to me.

To register, email me at [email protected]. Please include: (1) your expected number of teams, (2) the discounts you expect to claim, and (3) the names of the moderators you're bringing, if you’re bringing any.

Rules
•20 tossups and bonuses per game
•We will use powers and negs
•No bouncebacks on bonuses

Parking Information:
Please note that this tournament will take place on Duke’s East Campus. The Classroom Building is directly off of the main bus loop for East Campus, so dropping teams off in front of this building and then parking should be very straightforward. As for parking options, the visitors lots at Smith Warehouse and the on-street parking and parking lots along Broad Street or 9th Street are likely the best and cheapest options, since parking on this campus is somewhat limited. Please note that the visitors lots on West Campus are quite far from East Campus, and won’t be the best option.

Lunch/Food Options:
There several restaurants within walking/driving distance on 9th Street and (to a lesser extent) along Hillsborough Road or in downtown Durham. Dining options on Duke’s West Campus are available, but parking may be troublesome, so this isn't ideal.

I will post field updates here. We look forward to seeing everyone in Durham on February 29!
Last edited by Inscrutable Fox on Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Annabelle Yang
Southside '17
Duke '21
WUSTL '25
Inscrutable Fox
Lulu

Re: BHSAT XXIX at Duke

Field Updates (Teams/buzzers/staffers):

East Chapel Hill (2/0/0)
Raleigh Charter (4/3-4/0)
Early College at Guilford (2/0/0)
Miami Valley School (1/0/0)
Enloe (2/2/1)
Detroit Catholic Central (2/1/0)
NCSSM (1/3/0)
Christ School (1/1/0)
Panther Creek (2/0/0)

Total (17/10/1)
Last edited by Inscrutable Fox on Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:06 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Annabelle Yang
Southside '17
Duke '21
WUSTL '25
Inscrutable Fox
Lulu

Update: We will be expanding the field cap to 20 teams, with potential for more with enough interest and staffers.
Annabelle Yang
Southside '17
Duke '21
WUSTL '25
Inscrutable Fox
Lulu

Thanks to everyone who came to play BHSAT XXIX at Duke today! Congratulations to Miami Valley, who defeated DCC A in a two game final. Stats are now available here.
Annabelle Yang
Southside '17
Duke '21
WUSTL '25