NAQT Collegiate Novice @ RIT (9/28/19)

Old college threads.
Cosmas's Tabernacular Earth
Wakka

NAQT Collegiate Novice @ RIT (9/28/19)

Post by Cosmas's Tabernacular Earth »

I am pleased to announce a tournament taking place using NAQT’s collegiate novice set on September 28, 2019 (a Saturday) at the lovely brick campus of RIT in the suburbs of Rochester, NY.

Fees
Base fee: $75 per team
Buzzer discount: -$10 per working buzzer set (must have 4 working buzzers per side)
Staff discount: -$10 per capable moderator
New school discount: -$15 if your school has not played a college tournament between September 1, 2017 and September 1, 2019
Minimum fee: $35 per team

Eligibility
This tournament is intended for newer college players. As such, we will require players who meet any of the below criteria to be approved by the TD before being permitted to play:
  • Has scored 35 PPG or more in either major high school national (HSNCT or NSC)
  • Was on a team that finished in the top playoff bracket (1st-24th) at NSC or finished t-49th or better at HSNCT
  • Has scored 25 PPG or more in any tournament run on a college set (Note that the college tournaments run by Masterminds/CYPRAS last fall were run on an A set, which is a high school set and thus not covered by this criterion)
  • Is no longer eligible to play in NAQT’s Division 2
That said, please don’t be afraid to ask for an exception if you have a player who meets one of these criteria but you still feel is a novice.

It should be noted that NAQT’s collegiate novice set (CNS-186C) has overlap with one of NAQT’s high school sets (IS-186). For that reason, high school players and coaches may not attend this tournament in any capacity.

Logistics
Teams should plan to arrive at RIT around 8:30 am, with the expectation that we will start tossup 1 at 9:00 am. Our target length is ten rounds of quizbowl, though the exact number will depend on field size. There will be a scheduled break for lunch, however lunch will not be provided.

The tournament will occur in the Eastman Building. The closest parking is in either Lot D or Lot E, but it should be noted that a prospective freshmen event is happening on campus that day, and Lot E will likely be more crowded than usual due to its proximity to the admissions offices. Parking at RIT is free on weekends. A complete logistics email will be sent to teams ahead of the tournament.

Registration
To register, email me at [email protected] with the number of teams, buzzers, and staffers your school plans on bringing. Rosters do not have to be submitted with registration, but if you are requesting any exceptions to the eligibility criteria, that should ideally be included with your registration. The deadline for registration is Wednesday, September 25.

Field
School (Teams/Buzzers/Staffers)
RIT (2/1/as needed)
U of R (1/1/2)
RPI (2/1/0)

If you have any questions, feel free to email me at [email protected] or send me a PM.
Adam Swift
RIT, 2015
Wakka

Re: NAQT Collegiate Novice @ RIT (9/28/19)

The schedule and other player information can be found here.
Adam Swift
RIT, 2015
Wakka

Stats will be periodically updated here
Adam Swift
RIT, 2015
Wakka

This tournament went extremely well, with our winner at a perfect 8-0 being RPI B! I'd like to give a big thank you to the staffers who not only made this tournament run, but made it run fast enough to be done at 4. Thanks to all the teams for coming out, and I hope to see all of you at our upcoming mirror of ACF Fall!
Adam Swift
RIT, 2015