Texas 2019-2020 Discussion

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Og's Magog Bog
Lulu

Texas 2019-2020 Discussion

Post by Og's Magog Bog »

There are like 2 players on this forum from Texas so idk if this topic will get used but I thought it would be nice to have if needed.
Ned Tagtmeier
St. Mark's School of Texas/St. Marx '21
UChicago '25

Literature bores me, especially great literature.
Get stewed: Books are a load of crap.
Og's Magog Bog
Lulu

Re: Texas 2019-2020 Discussion

Post by Og's Magog Bog »

I made a preseason tier list for Texas teams that I thought might be interesting. I don't know every team that well, especially when it comes to Houston teams, so a lot of this analysis will be incomplete/inaccurate. Please chime in with any additions or corrections.

Tier 1:
LASA – Chinmay is probably overall the best player on NAQT sets in the state. LASA graduated a lot, but they have a very committed program and should be able to pick up lit and science to some extent. Also, the A team picks up Schuyler who is very good at fine arts.
Carnegie Vanguard – Manith is a pretty significant loss which should hurt them quite a bit on NAQT sets, but Andy and Daniel are top tier at lit/rmpss and science, respectively. I’m not sure what Arnav does but he puts up great stats as well.
Strake Jesuit – They also graduated ¾ of their actual A team, but their HSNCT stats prove that they’re a solid balanced team that covers the entire distribution fairly well even without Shawn, Joshua, or John Luke.
St. Mark’s School of Texas – We’re balanced, we have good coverage of the whole distro. Cerny appears to be rapidly approving at science which is currently our weakest big 3 so we could be extremely solid by the end of the year.
Tier 2:
James E. Taylor – hah you thought it was over. Mitchell Shadden got 23 powers at HSNCT which is pretty insane given that he was playing next to William Golden.
Greenhill – Great finishes at SSNCT and HSNCT. They have great literature/fa coverage (Gokulan) and pretty good naqt coverage (Josh). However, their uncertain coaching situation might limit their growth potential to some point.
Parish – Sohum is great at science and underrated as a generalist. He got over 100 ppg at the season opener last year showing that he was actually good at lit before Adam took over.
Coppell: Vishal has been one of the better generalists for a while, and his teammates are rapidly improving. Ashmith, for example, is very good at geo. On top of that, they are currently being coached by the legendary Abdullah Akbar, who knows the game very well and can help motivate them to work hard.
Tier 3:
TAG Magnet – they did well at SSNCT, they’ve been grinding all summer, and they now have Mindel so they could definitely break into the 2nd tier.
Cistercian – John Lesage and Ben Shamai are both notably strong generally, this is also a program with a lot of depth so they could do very well.
St. John’s – very good middle school team but it will remain to be seen how much their returning high school players have improved.
Tier 4:
Kinkaid – young team with a lot of potential
Cinco Ranch – ditto, they have great A packet stats for whatever that’s worth.
Seven Lakes – their stats are pretty good
Tier 5:
Little Cypress
Plano West
Reagan
Ned Tagtmeier
UChicago '25

VGTheOne
Lulu

Post by VGTheOne »

First off, I’d like to say thanks for making a Texas quizbowl discord server! Keep publicizing it, and hopefully it can soon become a hub for relevant discussion.

I’m a little bit confused about Plano West’s ranking. You remarked that Greenhill had a spectacular finish at HSNCT and ranked them in Tier 2, while ranking Plano West, which tied for the exact same position at HSNCT in Tier 5.

What was your selection criteria for Tier 5, and why don’t they have explanations?
Vishnuu Gopi

President and Captain
Plano West Senior High School ‘22
Jasper High School ‘20
West Windsor Plainsboro High School North '19
Og's Magog Bog
Lulu

Post by Og's Magog Bog »

VGTheOne wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:01 am First off, I’d like to say thanks for making a Texas quizbowl discord server! Keep publicizing it, and hopefully it can soon become a hub for relevant discussion.

I’m a little bit confused about Plano West’s ranking. You remarked that Greenhill had a spectacular finish at HSNCT and ranked them in Tier 2, while ranking Plano West, which tied for the exact same position at HSNCT in Tier 5.

What was your selection criteria for Tier 5, and why don’t they have explanations?
Thanks for chiming in on this post. It's really nice to have region-specific discussion since that wasn't really a thing last year.
The reason I ranked Greenhill above Plano West is because while Plano West was better last year, they graduated their entire A team and most of their B team, where Greenhill retains their entire team.
My selection criteria for Tier 5 was teams that I've heard will be good but know little or nothing about the compositions of. Since I don't really know anything about those teams, obviously I don't have anything to say about them.
Ned Tagtmeier
UChicago '25

Remember-the-Alamo-Remember-Goliad
Wakka

Post by Remember-the-Alamo-Remember-Goliad »

I suspect that after a close examination of stats related to Cistercian "A" team's 1st place finish yesterday (Sept. 28, 2019)
@ Greenhill tournament, our "A" team will be ranked better than where it was in this posting. As I'm sure you are aware,
that win included victories over St. Mark's, Greenhill, and Parish E.
Gregory Schweers
County of Dallas
City of Irving
Cistercian Preparatory School Team
The only Monk on this whole board
sZwx74
Lulu

Post by sZwx74 »

Check out https://grogerranks.com/2019/10/07/horn ... v-writeup/ for an article on Hornet Hullabaloo written by Josh Rubel of Greenhill and Ned Tagtmeier of St. Mark's that analyzed some teams that attended the tournament!
Shawn Zhao
Montgomery Blair High School '20
rdc20
Lulu

Post by rdc20 »

VGTheOne wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:01 am First off, I’d like to say thanks for making a Texas quizbowl discord server!
Can you share a link? Thanks.
Robert Condron
Strake Jesuit 2020
University of Chicago 2024
jsrubel
Lulu

Post by jsrubel »

Hey guys,
Since it’s midseason, here’s a poll that we made (it’s like the groger ranks one) to see who you guys think the top 10 teams in Texas are!

Happy Ranking :party:
Josh Rubel
Greenhill School '22
Williams College '26

Yeah! E minor! Alright! Yeah!
jsrubel
Lulu

Post by jsrubel »

Here’s the link to the poll:
https://forms.gle/EZ26sWDviBpNZJUj9
Josh Rubel
Greenhill School '22
Williams College '26

lumosityfan
Lulu

Post by lumosityfan »

rdc20 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:48 am
VGTheOne wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:01 am First off, I’d like to say thanks for making a Texas quizbowl discord server!
Can you share a link? Thanks.
Same here as well.
Jeff Xie
John P. Stevens Class of 2015 (Go Hawks!)
Columbia University Class of 2019 (Go Lions!)
Og's Magog Bog
Lulu

Post by Og's Magog Bog »

I'm trying to gauge interest for a potential Texas NASAT team. Anyone interested should fill out the following form, even if you aren't 100% sure if you can go at this point.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link
Ned Tagtmeier
UChicago '25

jsrubel
Lulu

Post by jsrubel »

Greetings everyone.

As you all know, the 2019-2020 Quizbowl season was sadly cut short by COVID-19. Therefore, due to popular demand, I have decided to announce a 2019-2020 Texas Player Poll!

The poll will work very similar to the one Groger Ranks did last year, however, it will be limited only to Texas. Players outside of Texas may vote, but may not vote for a player who does not reside in Texas. Any polls with outside players will be rendered void.

The poll has two sections: overall players and category players. In the overall category, you will be asked for the top ten players in general, the top five sophomores, and the top five middle schoolers/freshmen. These may overlap (for example, one of your ten players is also a top five sophomore, etc.). The categories will be separated into six sections: literature, science, history, rmpss (religion, mythology, philosophy, social science), and other (current events, trash/other academic, and geography). Each of these are for the top five players of their respective categories.

Overall, justification is optional but is recommended. The poll can be found here:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link

Voting will probably end around May or so, depending on the amount of responses I get.
Feel free to shill players in the thread, but keep the discussion well-mannered. If you any questions or technical issues, feel free to ask.

Happy Voting!!
Also here's a link to the Texas Quizbowl Discord if you haven't joined yet: https://discord.gg/jT4JcaK
Josh Rubel
Greenhill School '22
Williams College '26