Fall Open @ UIUC (11/16/2019)

Old college threads.
Iain.Carpenter
Lulu

Fall Open @ UIUC (11/16/2019)

Post by Iain.Carpenter »

The Academic Buzzer Team at Illinois is happy to announce our mirror of Fall Open 2019 on November 16th, 2019

To register, please email me at [email protected]. Please include player names in your registration email, and let me know if you have a team name or can bring buzzers. Here is a link to a team formation/free agent signup form; you can sign up as a staffer if you'd like as well.

Registration fees are as follows:
Base Fee: 120$/team
Buzzers: -10$/working buzzer system
Staffers: -10$/competent staffer
Travel: -10$ for teams traveling more than 200 miles

The tournament will be held at David Kinley Hall (1407 W. Gregory Dr. Urbana, IL 61801), and we hope to start around 9 AM. If you have any further questions, please feel free to email me.
Iain Carpenter
Mahomet-Seymour High School (2013-2017)
UIUC (2017-2021)
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Re: Fall Open @ UIUC (11/16/2019)

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Can't edit the spreadsheet
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Iain.Carpenter
Lulu

Post by Iain.Carpenter »

Sorry about that, it should be fixed now
Iain Carpenter
UIUC (2017-2021)
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

It's a bit late but Michigan had a couple people drop; if any unaffiliated players are still looking for a team we have an open spot.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Iain.Carpenter
Lulu

Post by Iain.Carpenter »

Some people have asked if side events planned to be run either after the tournament or the Friday before the tournament. Will Nediger specifically asked if we would consider running Reel Knowledge, and I would be happy to run that if others would like to play. Would Friday or after the tournament on Saturday be better for those who wish to play, and who else would be interested in playing side events?
Iain Carpenter
UIUC (2017-2021)
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Right now the field appears to be at 15 teams, which is not an ideal number. Is there a possibility of another house team (or another outside team) to avoid byes?
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Iain.Carpenter
Lulu

Post by Iain.Carpenter »

The field is now capped at 16 teams, and is as follows:

BHSU Aurochs - (Billy Busse, Rob Carson, Andrew Hart, Tejas Raje)
Chicago A - (John Lawrence, Jacob Reed, Matthew Lehmann, Adam Fine)
Chicago B - (Alston Boyd, Tim Morrison, Ben Miller, Grant Li)
Chicago C - (Halle Friedman, James Lasker, John Marvin, Andy Huff)
Chicago D - (Christine Gu, Daniel Yang, Wonyoung Jang, Edgar Lin)
The Kirk Davidoff-Forest Tendency - (Will Nediger, Dylan Minarik, Lauren Onel, Hayden Toftner)
VSCOelasticity - (NourEddine Hijazi, Aaron Jensen, Ryan Rosenberg, Jack Paganelli)
Itamar Naveh-Bean with Bacon - (Alexander Harmata III, Michael Powers, Dinis "Macau Slim" Trindade, Felix Wang)
WUSTL A - (Athena Kern, Charles Hang, Vishal Puppala, Hannah Manoj)
Illinois A - (Auroni Gupta, Mike Etzkorn, Cole Timmerwilke, Iain Carpenter)
Science is my most favorite subject, especially the Old Testament - (wangtron69, "Big Al" Fregeau, Kurtis Droge, chinmay)
Michigan A+ - (Todd Maslyk, Conor Thompson, James Stevenson, Jacob O'Rourke)
Michigan B+ - (Harrison Yu, Aleija Rodriguez, Rupam Bhattacharyya, Kyle Asta)
IU-Purdue Unity Team - (Andy Schingel, Patrick Quion, Alex Pijanowski, Justin Hawkins)
OSU+ - (Chris Ray, Clark Smith, Kai Smith)
Illinois B - Mitch McCullar et al
Iain Carpenter
UIUC (2017-2021)
women, fire and dangerous things
Tidus

Post by women, fire and dangerous things »

Lauren can't make it anymore, so Dylan, Hayden and I are looking for a fourth in case anyone's looking for a team.
Will Nediger
-Proud member of the cult of Urcuchillay-
University of Western Ontario 2011, University of Michigan 2017
Member emeritus, ACF
Writer, NAQT
L.H.O.O.Q.
Wakka

Post by L.H.O.O.Q. »

I'm not attending, but I've been asked to comment on behalf of Andy and Patrick to say that they'd be interested in Reel Knowledge being run as a side event here.
Sarah Benner
Avon HS 2013-17, Purdue 2017-21
Unofficial QB Advisor for Purdue, Ohio State, and the State of Indiana

May refer to herself in the third person.
Iain.Carpenter
Lulu

Post by Iain.Carpenter »

Here is the schedule for tomorrow everyone.
Iain Carpenter
UIUC (2017-2021)
Iain.Carpenter
Lulu

Post by Iain.Carpenter »

Just posted the stats on the forums, here's the link.
Iain Carpenter
UIUC (2017-2021)
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

This tournament was fun and well-run. Thanks, UIUC!

One note: one of my club-mates who played for a different team said that they were deprived of a game because Chicago D left before the last round, apparently to catch a train. This is, uh, not great of them. The tournament didn't really go abnormally late (7pm is very much not out of the ordinary for a hard open tournament), and Chicago of all clubs should surely have the resources to avoid having to leave early. Come on, guys. Don't do this.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

CPiGuy wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:24 pm This tournament was fun and well-run. Thanks, UIUC!

One note: one of my club-mates who played for a different team said that they were deprived of a game because Chicago D left before the last round, apparently to catch a train. This is, uh, not great of them. The tournament didn't really go abnormally late (7pm is very much not out of the ordinary for a hard open tournament), and Chicago of all clubs should surely have the resources to avoid having to leave early. Come on, guys. Don't do this.
The train was purchased the morning of the tournament following a series of mishaps that left us without one of the cars we were relying on. Had there been a later train, I surely would have purchased tickets for it, but I felt that the possibility of missing a round was better than the surety of 5 players missing the entire day. I'm very sorry for any inconvenience or negative experience that this caused for other teams.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

heterodyne wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:37 pm
CPiGuy wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:24 pm This tournament was fun and well-run. Thanks, UIUC!

The train was purchased the morning of the tournament following a series of mishaps that left us without one of the cars we were relying on. Had there been a later train, I surely would have purchased tickets for it, but I felt that the possibility of missing a round was better than the surety of 5 players missing the entire day. I'm very sorry for any inconvenience or negative experience that this caused for other teams.
Ah, I wasn't aware of this. That makes sense -- travel mishaps suck and I'm glad you were able to deal with it in the least impactful way and still get everyone to play almost the whole tournament!
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16