JHU Collegiate Novice (10/12) (CANCELLED)

Old college threads.
hexagonman
Lulu

JHU Collegiate Novice (10/12) (CANCELLED)

Post by hexagonman »

Johns Hopkins University is pleased to announce that we will be hosting NAQT Collegiate Novice on Saturday, October 12, 2019. We will be using an NAQT CNS level packet.

Eligibility:
Players who meet any of the following criteria MUST apply for special permission to compete:
If you have finished in the top 25 in scoring at PACE NSC or top 35 in scoring at NAQT HSNCT, or played on a team that finished in the top 16 at NSC or t-21 at HSNCT.
If you have scored at least 30 points per game at any college tournament (Novice-Level Tournaments excluded).
If you have won a college tournament (Novice-Level Tournaments excluded).

The tournament will take place at Johns Hopkins University, located at 3400 North Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218. Room locations are in Gilman Hall. A map of campus can be found here: http://cis.jhu.edu/images/campus_map_0907.pdf. Parking is available at the South Garage, at the flat rate of $9 per day.

Entry Fees and Discounts:
Base Fee: $15 per player
New Team: -$10 if your school did not play a tournament during the 2018 - 2019 year (limit one per school)
Buzzers: -$5 per each working buzzer system
Travel: -$10 per 200 miles traveled one way
Staffing: -$10 per competent staffer (limit one per team)

NOTE: Minimum fee of $35 per team

Food:
Various restaurants may be found in the vicinity of campus. To see a full list, please visit http://web.jhu.edu/cogsci/visitors/restaurants.html.

Team and Roster Size:
There is a maximum of 6 players on a team; up to four members may play at once. We recommend no more than four members on a team, so that students may play the maximum number of rounds.

Payment must be made on the day of the tournament either by cash or check only. Please make checks out to "Johns Hopkins University."

To register, please complete this form: https://forms.gle/64h9pMLmAWshTZGe6. The field will initially be capped at 16 teams.

Timeline:
Here are some important dates:
October 5, 2019: Registration deadline
October 10, 2019: Roster deadline
October 12, 2019: Tournament day

Feel free to contact us at [email protected] for any reason.
Last edited by hexagonman on Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Leland Held
President of JHU Quiz Bowl
Johns Hopkins '22
Bosa of York
Rikku

Re: JHU Collegiate Novice (10/5)

Post by Bosa of York »

I suppose I can't blame you if this is the only day you could reserve rooms, or if you did so before knowing that Maryland's EFT mirror would be the same day, but it would be reasonable to assume that this could lead to relatively few teams attending this tournament.

Also, as I've noted for the last two iterations of this tournament, if you're charging registration fees per player, you should include how many players will be going as a field in the registration form.
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Milhouse wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:25 pm I suppose I can't blame you if this is the only day you could reserve rooms, or if you did so before knowing that Maryland's EFT mirror would be the same day, but it would be reasonable to assume that this could lead to relatively few teams attending this tournament.

Also, as I've noted for the last two iterations of this tournament, if you're charging registration fees per player, you should include how many players will be going as a field in the registration form.
This, but in a much less condescending manner.

I have no real input in this, but it would be a shame if some of the stronger novice teams missed out on an opportunity to play EFT due to this scheduling conflict.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
hexagonman
Lulu

Post by hexagonman »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:30 pm
Milhouse wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:25 pm I suppose I can't blame you if this is the only day you could reserve rooms, or if you did so before knowing that Maryland's EFT mirror would be the same day, but it would be reasonable to assume that this could lead to relatively few teams attending this tournament.

This, but in a much less condescending manner.

I have no real input in this, but it would be a shame if some of the stronger novice teams missed out on an opportunity to play EFT due to this scheduling conflict.
The date will be moved to 10/12/19
Leland Held
Johns Hopkins '22
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Re: JHU Collegiate Novice (10/12)

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Thanks for the flexibility! Hopefully new players will be able to get a broad range of experiences with college quiz now :party:
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
hexagonman
Lulu

Re: JHU Collegiate Novice (10/12)

Post by hexagonman »

Due to lack of interest, this tournament is cancelled.
Leland Held
Johns Hopkins '22